How often does surgery go differently than planned? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How often does surgery go differently than planned? How often does surgery go differently than planned?

Unread 02-21-2007, 06:21 PM
How often does surgery go differently than planned?

How reasonable is it to expect surgery to go as planned. For example, if I am expecting a vaginal hyst that preserves the ovaries, how likely is it that I'll wake up with an abdominal incision or no ovaries?

I know that doctors have to work with what they find, and I know that this can change the procedure midstream. But, is it common?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2007, 06:29 PM

Don't know - I was expecting an abdominal hysterectomy with leaving my cervix and ovaries and that's what I ended up with. I do know someone who was expecting a vaginal hyst and they had to change to abdominal, but she did still keep her ovaries. I don't know how common that is, hopefully you will hear some other stories. My fibroids were too large for a vaginal hysterectomy. I went to three gyns and all three recommended the abdominal and only one said she'd try the vaginal but I may bleed a lot and she wasn't sure it would be possible. So I went with the consensus on the abdominal. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 02-21-2007, 06:30 PM

I just had surgery monday, went in to have uterus and one ovary out, woke up with no ovaries Guess it's really just a crap shoot sometimes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2007, 07:34 PM

I asked my MD what might make her change the plan from vaginal to abdominal and she said the most likely cause would be excessive bleeding. I don't have fibriods so that wouldn't be a factor for me.
Unread 02-21-2007, 08:24 PM

I went in because of a huge ovarian cyst and the dr and i agreed on removing everything because it was starting to cause so many problems and pain etc. Well, he found more than he expected he said I was a mess inside. I had endometerosis that was not picked up on MRI, intravaginal, abdominal and renal ultrasounds. The dr also found my small intestine was almost completely blocked and they had to resection it during surgery. Other than that everything went well. Surgical menopause is terrible.
Unread 02-21-2007, 09:38 PM

I specifically asked during my pre-op what percentage of my doctor's vaginal hysts change to abdominal. I was told 1%....he wouldn't say he could do vaginal if he didn't think he could. Definitely ask your doctor this.

I'll let you know how accurate my doc is...I go under the knife in 9 hours.
Unread 02-22-2007, 01:04 AM

Mine was a planned SAH and it went that way. However, I was glad I did it that way since my dr found more wrong than what was expected. My uterus was attached to my bladder and one fibroid was growing outside the uterus so I think it all depends on what they find. I know even when I had my gall bladder out they told me it would probably be laporascopy but in case they might change it, they didn't so I think it all depends on what they find. I would talk to the dr and see what would make him change his mind. Best wishes.
Unread 02-22-2007, 05:39 AM

i was originally booked in for a TVH on 8th Feb but this was changed to a TAH during the surgery. The surgeon could not reach my uterus as my bowel was sticking to it. He was afraid that he would perforate my bowel if he had proceeded vaginally. I trusted his decision although I have'nt yet seen the results of the pathology. I was initially disappointed although I am healing well. Best wishes.
Unread 02-22-2007, 05:51 AM

I was scared that I was going to wake up with an incision, however, I didn't! My dr and I discussed my options and I told him that I would prefer the TVH because healing time and pain is less. He did tell me that there was a possibility of me waking up with an incision, depending on what was found. When I signed the paper work, it read, TVH with possible incision if necessary. Boy was I relieved when I woke up...DH said the 1st thing I asked was...did he cut me? He just laughed and said no. I hope your surgery goes as planned!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register