Uterus removed laparoscopically? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Uterus removed laparoscopically? Uterus removed laparoscopically?

Unread 12-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Uterus removed laparoscopically?

When your uterus is removed via lap. they cut it apart and remove it, right? Isn't that dangerous? Is there a high chance of a diseased piece of tissue being left behind? Or any tissue? I would like it to be taken out as a whole. Is that a possibility?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 12:03 PM

I'm sure they do take the uterus out as a whole when they do an adominal hysterectomy. The recovery time is longer though. There is always a possibility of what you are describing happening I guess. But if your surgeon is competant and you trust him/her, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Unread 12-11-2007, 03:35 PM

yes, its taken out in pieces if the surgery is lap. the dr can see very clearly with the camera and if he is a skilled surgeon, nothing should be left behind. if you want it taken out whole, you'd have to have an abdominal cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 04:11 PM

I had the most wonderful explanation of this process given to me by my doc last week. They use something called a morcilator (I'm SO not sure about that spelling) that cuts the organs up into small pieces or strips, and those pieces are removed through that same machine.

If there is any question or cancer concern, however, they might bag an organ internally and then remove it through the lap incision in your belly button. They do this to avoid spreading anything that might contaminate other organs. I have a frighteningly large ovary, so my doc will bag that inside and remove it through the navel. If the ovary is not malleable--if it's too hard and large to remove through the navel--he'll have to enlarge the pubic incision to remove it.

Additionally, your cavity will be thoroughly rinsed with an antibiotic solution to clean out any loose bits and to aid against infection. Also, my doc says he leaves a pool of the solution inside to help guard against adhesions; that fluid is absorbed by the body.

Just thought I'd share, and I hope it helps. I am a very demanding patient, and even though I'm still eight days away, I was in last week for just this sort of information!

MJ
Unread 12-11-2007, 04:23 PM

good luck with your surgery mjc1976
Unread 12-11-2007, 06:28 PM

I just had LSH on 12/7 and it truly is the least painful way to go. I was able to go home the next day and they are really careful with the camera to make sure they don't miss anything. Now I only have three tiny holes instead of a larger slit and it heals much faster than the abdominal cut. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register