Weight at time of surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight at time of surgery Weight at time of surgery

Unread 02-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Weight at time of surgery

One of my biggest fears about surgery is my weight. At the time of surgery, I anticipate that my weight will be about 270 - about a 70 lb lost in a one year period. However, it is still significantly overweight. While my obgyn says that is a safe weight for the surgery, I'm still scared to death. As much as I hate my symptoms, I'm also scared to death of the anesthesia and any possible problems due to my weight. I'd love "success" stories or advice from anyone who has already gone through this in spite of significant weight issues. BTW, I'll have a TAH - not sure about ovaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Not A Problem for Me

Not to worry hon....I weighed about 245 lbs when I had my surgery. No problems...2 nights and 3 days castle stay. Nobody even mentioned my weight being a problem. 3 hour surgery...TVH,BSO & A&P Repairs.

Good Luck to you and congrats on losing the 70 pounds you lost...excellent!

Unread 02-07-2004, 08:22 PM

For months I have been reading these posts, and let me assure you, hyster sisters come in all shapes and sizes!!

Be honest about your weight with your nurses and doctors, too, because they will determine your amount of anesthesia, pain meds, etc based on your body weight.

Congratulations on your weight loss! That's fantastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2004, 08:50 PM

I'm was about 245 at the time of my surgery......I asked my doc if my weight mattered, especially since I was having bikini cut and I carry so much weight in the abdomen (since losing a significant amount of weight, also, have kind of a "hanging" belly). She said it wouldn't make any difference. I had a textbook surgery and an easy recovery. I was also worried about this and read many posts concerning it; it doesn't seem to matter unless you have other health problems along with it. I have also read that overweight women heal faster than thin ones, although I can't recall why.
Unread 02-07-2004, 09:18 PM

Hi Bethel

At the time of my surgery I was 236 pounds. I had a TAH with a vertical incision due to the size of the fibroids and my uterus. My doctor never mentioned my weight as being an issue. My recovery has been great. I haven't had much pain only took advil. I was uncomfortable when my incision started to become iitchy until the staples were removed and then it seemed to stop. I haven't had any infections and feel really good.

I hope your surgery and recovery goes well and congrats on your weight loss!
Unread 02-08-2004, 07:08 PM

With hand over my mouth, my weight was 260. Always have been "fluffy", but had ate everything that did not eat me first in the month prior. I have been reasonably active and healthy. I did not have any problems, in fact, my DR said I should give lessons in how to recover. I am convinced that mental is 50% of recovery. I just knew I was not going to have any problems with the surgery. Would not even let any of my "friends" tell me of any potential problems and just sailed right through it. Good luck.
Unread 02-09-2004, 04:44 PM

Hi bethel!

I was about 260lbs. at the time of surgery of TAH/BSO (vertical incision). The only thing my GYN has said about my weight is that the incision is more likely to split or get infected. My incision has split in 3 places....thankfully not enough for it to be packed.

I will give you a couple pieces of advise..... Under your tummy flap, fold a piece of gauze and put it there to keep your incision dry ( told me that @ one week postop and that area is healing very well). Ask also about an abdominal binder. You didn't mention what kind of cut (vert. vs horizontal), but if vertical, the binder helps with support and keeping the incision closed.

s Hang in there hon..... you'll be just fine.
Unread 02-15-2004, 11:59 AM

Hi Bethel!

I will echo all the advice from the other sisters - I was 265 at the time of my surgery (1/19/04) and weight was not ever discussed with the exception of a warning by the discharge nurse to make sure I kept the incision clean and dry since my belly rested on my bikini cut.

I was given an abdominal binder at the castle which has been a great help - makes it much easier to get around (have tried not wearing it only long enough to launder it and then went back to it).

Regarding the incision - soap and water were easy for keeping it clean, and they sent me home with some Telfa pads - gauze pads that do not stick. Found some by Curad as well as Johnson & Johnson at the drug store. (The difference was one was latex-free, not an issue for me but I know it is for some). Easy to use since my belly helped keep them in place and my incision dry.

My recovery has been great - almost no pain and almost back to walking my 2 mi. a day - at my old pace - now 4 weeks post-op. I wish the same for you!
Unread 02-15-2004, 10:20 PM

I'm so glad you asked that question and people replied! I'm worried about the same thing. My doctor does not seemed concerned, but my mother keeps telling me that I should have kept my weight down in case of needing surgery and that it will complicate things, etc, etc. I know my doc knows best, but those tapes in my head from mom won't go away!!!

I havve been on a hospital supervised fast since August and have lost 42 lbs (100 still to go). My doc wanted me off of it for two weeks before and three weeks after. I gained 7 pounds in one week and haven't gone crazy eatiing. I'm tempted to go back on it for a few days - the hospital said the doc is being too careful and that it will not matter before - only after because the body needs more calories to heal. Any one esle ever been in this situation?

Kit
Unread 02-15-2004, 11:27 PM

I'd go with your doc's advice. Before surgery (as well as after)you need adequate calories and nutrients. I did Optifast once myself, and I know the calorie intake is too low to support healing ,and the main source of non-protein nutrients is just a multivitamin and potassium supplement. It makes perfect sense to me that you stop it a few weeks early. Of course if you've been on it for a while you have to reintroduce food gradually or risk heart problems. Please listen to your doc.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register