very nervous and sick | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

very nervous and sick very nervous and sick

Unread 08-14-2005, 02:10 PM
very nervous and sick

By the time I have to do the bowel prep, I won't have anything to clean out. Ever since I found out that I was going to have to have a hysterectomy I have been sick to my stomach (vomiting and diarrhea). It was originally scheduled for December but the date was moved up to Aug. 26 because I was making myself sick. I have tried to read as much as possible and that helps to calm my fears some but the closer it gets the worse I am. I went horseback riding yesterday hoping that would take my mind off it. It did for a while, but then I remembered why I was going to have it in the first place (7 large fibroids make riding horses, bike, and general exercise almost unbearable). I spent last night in misery and I never got my horse out of a slow walk. How have ya'll dealt with the anxiety?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2005, 02:38 PM
very nervous and sick

I put off having my hysterectomy for 5 years because I was so petrified of having surgery,something that I had never experienced before and I'm 49. Then in June,I started bleeding very heavily and ended up in emergency,when the dr. saw me,she told me I needed an emergency D&C right now. I had no time to get scared or nervous,I just knew that I wanted the bleeding to stop. So,I saw the OBGYN in her office a few weeks later and booked the hysterectomy. I was still scared but told myself that tens of thousands of women have had this surgery and if they can do it,so can I!

Before my surgery,I tried to keep busy with housework and I also did a lot of things that I enjoy doing,plus hubby and I went on a 3 day vacation which was very relaxing,took my mind right off what was coming up. I tried to think of my hospital stay as a mini vacation and went out and bought some new nighties,slippers,etc. I made sure I visited with my family and friends and tried to keep a positive attitude.

The waiting is the hardest part,believe me,once it's over,you will be so thankful that you did this. I also had fibroids and they made my life miserable,my period was running my life and I was getting so sick of it!

Try to relax and visit here a lot,I did and the posts eased my fears a lot! If you are vomiting a lot,increase your fluid intake,you don't want to get dehydrated. If it persists,I would see my family dr.

Just think,you'll be a princess soon!
Unread 08-14-2005, 02:40 PM
very nervous and sick

So sorry to hear you are having so much anxiety. I guess everyone has a different way of dealing with it. The hysterectomy itself really is not terrible and it all goes pretty quickly. My advice to anyone would be to do all the research that you can before having this major surgery and you still have time for a second or third opinion if you are in doubt. Maybe you are just not at peace about it? Only you would know. It is a big decision and one that should not be taken lightly. Look into all your options for fibroids and I wish you much luck!

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2005, 03:34 PM
very nervous and sick

Thanks,
I have suffered with heavy periods and fibroids for more than 6 years now. My DR and I have discussed and tried several medications over the past few years to no avail. The symptoms are getting worse and have even stopped or limited me from doing 2 of my most favorite things-hunting and horseback riding. So, I think it is time for the surgery. I have kept all of my "parts" longer than my mother and both my aunts.

Thanks to everyone on this board, it has helped me tremendously to understand what I am feeling.
Unread 08-14-2005, 04:43 PM
very nervous and sick

I understand your jitters and anxiety. In this case, you have looked into all your options and know this is what needs to be done...it is so true that the waiting is the worst part. Hang in there...this website is a good place to be while you wait for your surgery. Best of luck to you! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 08-14-2005, 04:52 PM
very nervous and sick

I have had severe anxiety over the past couple of years for various reasons. I was anxious about the surgery as well. I take xanax at times to get it under control. Maybe you can talk to your Dr and get a few tablets to help you relax while you are waiting for your day.

It's not going to be as bad as you think. The waiting is the worst part of it. Just think of how much better you are going to feel after you have recovered. {{{Hugs}}}
Unread 08-14-2005, 07:41 PM
very nervous and sick

I see that horse back riding got your mind off of your fears for a little bit, maybe you can start up a new hobby that isn't to physical to keep your mind off things pre and post op. I started scrapbooking and it took up alot of time and I was concentrating so much on making my scrapbook look nice I would find a 3 hours passed by quickly. It kept me busy and entertained while I was recovering, so maybe something like that can take your mind off of your fears for awhile without causing you physical pain. If that doesn't sound like something that would interest you try and find something along those lines.
I wish you much luck and I hope you feel better soon, waiting can feel like an eternity, especially when your not feeling good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register