9 AM tomorrow and PETRIFIED!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

9 AM tomorrow and PETRIFIED!!! 9 AM tomorrow and PETRIFIED!!!

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:51 PM
9 AM tomorrow and PETRIFIED!!!

I go in at 9 tomorrow and am so very very scared, nervous and anxious. I'm embarrassed because I started my period a week early, I wasn't supposed to have any more....EVER!. What an awful job for the nurses who get to prep me (shave and whatever else). I dred the enema and douche. I haven't even decided if I'm having spinal or general. I haven't packed my bag. I still have to do my daughters taxes, pay my bills and I don't feel in control enough to do anything but sit and cry. I know the waiting is supposed to be the worst part but that doesn't help me feel better. Am I just totally losing control or what??? Do the other sisters on for tomorrow feel the same way or am I just a whimp? How on earth do I make it until tomorrow?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:56 PM
Deep breaths

Oh Dear,

I wish I could be there and help you get control.

Try to relax. Take deep breaths in through the mouth, out through the nose. Get comfortable and close your eyes.

Don't worry about the nurses and your period. They don't care, why should you?

All those folks who offer 'if there is anything I can do,' call on a few of them. They can help with taxes, bill paying, etc. Make a list and prioritize. If it can wait, let it.

You are the most important thing right now. Focus on you and remember all of your sisters here are praying for you. Take care and we'll be looking for your pos-op update.

Nancy
Unread 04-15-2002, 01:32 PM

Hi there.
I hear you load and clear. Try a long long walk. It has to be hard to be where you are now. It's okay to be scared.. It's okay to feel exactly like you do. At least your "normal". No I haven't even scheduled mine yet or said okay to the doctor and I'm a wreck.

I agree with the other lady that answered you. The nurses don't care, they've seen it all. So don't worry. Be happy - it's almost over. Hang in there.. You're not alone..

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 01:47 PM

Hi Irae,

As a nurse who assists with pelvic exams (and more) in the ER, please don't let the fact that you are on your period cause you any stress! I can tell you from personal experience, WE DON'T CARE!!! Most of the nurse are female and we all have (or have had) them, so it certainly doesn't gross us out. And trust me, we deal with lots worse stuff.

I still have 5 wks to go, so I cant tell you from experience. But the walk sounds like a good idea. Then try to submerge yourself into the things you need to get done. When they get overwhelming, maybe another walk. And other than the taxes... anything else you dont get done, can just wait.

Good luck tomorrow.

Caren
Unread 04-15-2002, 03:08 PM

Dear Irae

I really feel for you. I am due to have my op a week from tomorrow, April 23rd and am getting pretty nervous. One thing to think about is that when I go in, you will already be on the recovery side of things. What I wouldn't give to be over the worst and in the post-op side of things.

Don't worry about the nurses and the precedures, they are used to everything and they are very good with patients.

Never mind all the other things you have to arrange, the most important thing is your peace of mind. Try to imagine what it will feel like when its all over. Picture yourself after it all, happy and relaxed and relieved its behind you, all you have to do is concentrate on your recovery.

Wishing you all the best, and rest assured all I hear from people who have gone through this is that they feel wonderful after the recovery and have a new lease of life.
I wish this for you.

God bless and best wishes,
RuBe
Unread 04-15-2002, 03:27 PM

Dear Irae,

I don't schedule mine until next week when I go back for follow-up for D&C and Laporoscopy, and I'm already a wreck myself.

The other ladies have given you some advice about deep breaths, long walk and don't sweat the small stuff. The Nurses probably won't mind any of the period mess; they deal with many things.

My advice would be think about getting it over with and start feeling better. I would go in tomorrow myself not to have to dread it any longer, if I could. They tell me the worst part is waiting and I believe it.

Go in there and get it done Girl! Do really good and when I get mine scheduled, you can tell me how wonderful it is to feel better.

God Bless you and I will remember you in my prayers,
Unread 04-15-2002, 03:34 PM

dear irae
I had my TAH BSO on March 5,2002 and I was just like you and guess what??I go back to work on April 22 and I cant believe it all went so well...whatever you dont get done before you go, will be there when you get back on your feet. My best of luck to you and there's an old saying my gram used to say Time Heals Everything so just sit back relax cuz time is all you got for the next 6 weeks...Hang in there and keep this website handy its so wonderful....Merry39
Unread 04-15-2002, 03:46 PM

I'm with you sister!! I'm scheduled for 4/23. The days are counting down quickly. I'm trying to keep my sanity by not worrying -- not that it's working! So far I've had wonderful support from my family and friends; offers to clean my house (before and after), keep my dogs (very spoiled -- no small feat), dinners and other favors.

It's easy to tell someome else to relax, but that's what I'll say. Whatever you normally do to get through the hard times will help today also. Prayer, meditation, a long hot bath with candles, and of course LOTS of chocolate!!!

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and anxious hear how you feel next Monday.

God Bless -- Concrete Girl
Unread 04-15-2002, 05:07 PM

hi, irae i know how you are feeling right now, not enough time and about 30 things to do in between bouts of crying. every thing will work it's self out and be o.k. 2 weeks before my tvh i moved out of my appartment, by my self .taking every thing i owned to a storage cause i became homless. was going through a custody battle and had to find 3 days of daycare for while i was in the hospital.needless to say i was a bit stressed out. all i finally did was ask for help. my friends got together and took the kids for 4 days. my best friend let me live with her for a mo. and a half till i got back on my feet. and i won the custody and got more childsopport. so just relax, take a deep breath, and just think one more day and you begin your new healthier life. we are all here for you! good luck!s
Unread 04-15-2002, 07:38 PM

Being brand-spanking new here, I would normally "sit-back" a bit before providing responses. However, I strongly sense the feelings of good-will here, and time is really of essence.

All I can say is that I truly understand how you feel, and wish I could help you get over this hurdle. It is one which I also face, with my surgery being next week (Ap. 25). I had a major freak out today, which inspired me to find this site to seek out support. Reading your post, I could see myself in exactly your spot!

I even phoned my hubby at work and said I was cancellling the surgery, I am so scared.

I just got off the phone with my mom and she went through this 32 years ago. Despite her post-surgery complications and the acknowledgment that this is major surgery, she feels very strongly that going in with the right frame of mind (and coming out) helps propel us past the worst of it.

If we can just look far enough ahead to visual the benefits we will have after the surgery, then we can dive in with a bit more acceptance (er...I hate to say the word enthusiasm, lol!)

If it helps you feel better to realize that thousands have undergone this procedure and come out OK, then hang on to that thought! Let the drugs and surgeon do their job, pamper yourself after and slowly ease back at the pace you feel most comfortable.

We are very fortunate to have found this site, forarmed with its support and knowledge. I don't know about you, but I am much calmer now, knowing that any pangs or aches I may experience post-surgery are normal, thanks to other people's posts.

Of course, am not yet at the day before surgery as you are, but I hope you are able to lower your stress levels a bit and grasp onto faith that everything will be ok. I will be thinking of you (and others waiting for the day), sending good vibes out.

Take Care!

Soulful

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register