What to do NOW!!!????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do NOW!!!????? What to do NOW!!!?????

Unread 10-09-2002, 12:46 PM
What to do NOW!!!?????

I finally got my surgery date---November 21st! At first the Dr. said the BEGINNING of November, now its the END of November. What the heck do you do for 6 weeks. It is consuming my every waking moment! I can't stop thinking about this. I just want it OVER and DONE with already! I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping and even bought the paper. I'm halfway done with my fall/winter heavy cleaning and only have 5 more rooms to go. What do you do to get your mind off of this and get on with your life! Does anyone have any secrets and tips they'd like to share????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2002, 01:24 PM
What to do NOW!!!?????

I've been waiting on my surgery since early May! I was scheduled for June, then looked for every excuse to cancel/postpone - then finally rescheduled it 2 weeks ago to Nov. 18th -

I'm like you, stressed that I am going to run out of busy work until then, anything to keep my mind off it! Tomorrow I start "santa shopping" so I can get that all those presents bought and wrapped b4 the big day!

Do you work during the day? If not, why not consider volunteering somewhere for a few hours per day? Maybe a nursing home or someplace where the people could use someone to read to them - just be a friendly face!

If you find something that brings pleasure to others, the surgery won't seem to consume 150% of your energy!

In the meantime, I'm scheduled for the same week as you, so we can start counting down the days together!
Unread 10-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Hi Blue Eyes

Hi Blue Eyes,

What helped so much pre-op for me was this web site and the chat room!

Not only does it keep you pre-occupied (so ya don't constantly worry about your surgery), but it's wonderful to hang out with women who know exactly how you are feeling.

All the women in this web site and chat room have either been thru this surgery, or are on their way to it. LOTS of support and comfort here for you.

This is what I did pre-op... none of my friends or family could relate... was soooooo grateful to have this place to come to!

So glad you are here with us!

HUGS to you, Gracie

P.S. Hope to see you in the chat room!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2002, 02:26 PM
Cyndi, great suggestion

Hi Cyndi,

I forgot to mention... what a wonderful suggestion... to do volunteer work... marvelous idea!

HUGS, Gracie
Unread 10-09-2002, 03:21 PM
What to do NOW!!!?????

Here's a fun project for you - plan an early Thanksgiving. It's on the 28th this year, and even though you might feel pretty good, you probably won't be up to doing much. So ask everyone over on the 16th and celebrate early. You can do the whole works - turkey, baking, yams... and enjoy the fun and company without being sore and tired. Anyone travelling to your place won't have awful traffic to deal with. You get to avoid the whole grocery shopping rush, too! When the "official" day rolls around, you can relax and enjoy whatever's on TV without feeling left out.

My hyst was on Dec. 19 (2000), with two other surgeries in my extended family around the same time, so we did Christmas early. It worked out great for everybody.
Unread 10-09-2002, 03:44 PM
what to do now

Hi Blueeyes, I'm fairly new here, too. I'm scheduled for Dec 17th, to work around my work schedule (end of the semester grades) and I'm having the same problem. It has become an obcession with me. I wonder if I made the right decision (after all, others are so much worse off...), why I waited so long, How bad will the hormone jungle be, . I wonder what will happen with my classes while I'm gone, how bad the pain will be (scarrdy cat) if I should wait till summer...

Since I'm a list maker, I've been making lists of stuff that needs to be done, questions for the doc, things to get ready for the sub, etc. It just seems that there's not enough time for all this obcessing , but my mind insists on it. You'd think that with soccer practice, piano lessons, foster dogs with surgical needs, papers to grade, lessons to plan, house to clean,etc, that there wouldn't be time left for that. Oh, well, I guess that's what being a is all about!
Unread 10-09-2002, 05:16 PM
What to do NOW!!!?????

Oh, I just love HorseWoman's suggestion...and while you're at it throw the kids one good scary Holloween party!

Unread 10-09-2002, 08:49 PM
What to do NOW!!!?????

You guys are all great! I'd love to do volunteer work but I'm a SAHM with a very independent almost 4YO so he gives me lots of time to think. There's only so much cleaning you could do. I had to laugh at the "list maker" I do it too and then get all excited when I can cross something off my list---gee, better get a life, eh? I've known about the surgery since the summer but only got the actual date today which made it "real" instead of something "inevitable." I'm not worried about the surgery but the whole hormonal thing afterwards. I have young kids so I don't want to go totally ballistic on them. AND yes, I, too have the Soccer practices, games, piano lessons, play rehearsals, chorus rehearsals, girl scouts, boys scouts, you name it BUT in the back of my head this darn operation is still there. The chatroom is a GREAT idea.

Thanks!
Unread 10-10-2002, 06:21 AM
I'm filling the freezer with pre-cooked meals

there are a few sites for freezer cooking out there with recipes. Dh's culinary skills start and end with reheating things in the microwave. I am also doing the more taxing parts of some sewing projects and craft projects so I can work on the easy parts post-op. In addition, raiding the thrift store for cheap used books, stocking up on supplies and making lists for DH so he knows what to do to keep the house from falling apart post-op.

Next week, the goal is to get the house as clean as possible. I hate recovering from surgery with a messy house!
Unread 10-10-2002, 06:46 AM
What to do NOW!!!?????

My surgery is Nov. 15, and I too have been trying to clean one room per weekend before the surgery. I'd hate to have my mother come over and have a heart attack at my dirty house.

DH is panicking having to cook, clean, and take care of the kids (7 & 10). Time is starting to go faster as I get alittle more nervous each day. Only one more cycle to endure!!!

Tracey
LVH for fibroids attached to uterus, history of family cervical cancer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register