digestive disorders post-op anyone?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

digestive disorders post-op anyone?? digestive disorders post-op anyone??

Unread 02-24-2008, 06:36 PM
digestive disorders post-op anyone??

It has been almost three weeks since I had my hysterctomy. Surgery to remove fibroid-laden uterus went very well; however, next day, I had to have a second emergency surgery because I was hemmoraghing. They removed an ovary and tube at this time. My quwstion: the worst part of this recovery is my digestive system. Not only am I constipated (to be expected, I know), but It is as if I can feel things actually moving through my digestive track, and it is very crampy. It is also affecting my appetite, because I can sort of feel it if I eat too much.
Has anyone else had these issues? Are they going to go away soon?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2008, 06:47 PM

Yes, yes, yes! I'm almost 4 weeks post-op and still constipated, rumbly and sometimes nauseated. My docs seem to think this is completely to be expected. What I've found works is:

1) milk of magnesia every other night -- it's like the junior cousin to the mag citrate you might have had before the operation, and I feel like it helps to make things actually move.

2) colace every day

3) juices: HOT prune juice followed by a glass of water, which is pretty gross, I think, and something much tastier, which is organic pear nectar I found at my local whole foods.

4) lots of water and walking

Good luck!

Katherine
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:27 PM

I had constipation issues- I took stool softeners daily as well as Extra Strength Gas- X.

I had my hyst on 10/22/07 and I still do not have normal BM's. I also, can tollerate VERY little dairy and NO cow's milk at all.

I am currently drinking almond milk, using dairy free coffee creamer (which I have for a while, because I LOVE it ) and VERY limited amounts of cheese (from cow's milk)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2008, 07:42 PM

Giftware,

We had our surgery on the same day!

This is all SOOOO normal... all that you are describing! I am just about to start my 4th week post-op, and I still get pain when I have a BM. But, I still get that fullness fealing you're talking about, and as a result, I can't eat much in one sitting.

Also, I find I feel SOOO full and my whole abdomen feels so tight until I have a BM! I never had these issues before my surgery.

I just take Gas-X pills (chewable), drink pear juice, eat lots of fresh fruit, eat lots of fiber rich food/drinks. And, I make sure I eat easily digestable foods all together...

I don't know how long all this lasts, but I still am having issues.... BUT it's MUCH better now compared to two weeks ago.... I have just found that it is getting better each week. But, I just think the key is to eat very easily digestable foods (fresh fruits, fresh veggies, pasta, soups, etc. etc.), and I make sure I have a lot of fiber each day, and that seems to help. Oh, and I'm still taking a stool softener twice a day.

Good luck, but I am sure what you are experiencing is normal! Our intestines have been through quite an ordeal because durign surgery, they are touched, and probably pushed around, etc., and that causes trauma to the intestines.
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:38 PM

Thank you all for responding. I think these issues--the depth of them--should be disclosed before surgery so that new patients don't exprience anxiety about them. As it stands, we are just told we'll probably be constipated. It is sooo much more than that, but by sharing your stories, you have all made me feel so much better.
Unread 02-25-2008, 01:19 PM

Isn't it remarkable? This happens to almost ALL OF US but it's not in any of the books or non hyst/sist sites that I read pre-op. Not to mention not a word about any of it from my doctor.

Good news for you all! When I was still 3 to 4 weeks post-op, I was in the exact same state. I didn't think I'd ever get rid of the pain and frustration.

It improved slowly and my intestines remembered what they were inside me for.

Follow the advice (much like what worked for me) already stated above, and while you're resting, remember this is a rare opportunity to develop a seldom-used muscle: patience.

Hugs to you all -- Siri
Unread 02-25-2008, 04:50 PM

I too had the constipation issues. I'm taking the Target brand colace now (usually 2 a day) and everything seems to be pretty much ok now, except I too seem to feel things actually moving through right before I need to go. It's very weird & quite painful at times, a sharp shooting type pain for me. I was guessing that it was because of all the trauma to my insides from the surgery. I was getting ready to ask if anyone else had this feeling when I saw your post. At least, we know that we're not alone in our weird sensations!
Unread 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM

I was so relieved to read all the above experiences. I'm at 6 weeks post surgery and took a turn backward b/c I didn't stay on the stool softeners.
I've never had any digestive trouble and so thought after two weeks I was back to normal. That slowly reversed and even led to a very painful hemorrhoid.
I'm back on Colace but feel like I'm at the beginning of healing again with a puffed out belly a few hours after I've eaten.
I was feeling pretty down about it but now my spirits are so much better just from knowing I'm not alone in the weirdness.
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:11 PM

This is such a common experience that I think it should be listed on our site where we tell women what to expect. Let's not sugar-coat it by saying ,"You'll likely be constipated"; let's tell it like it is: digestive discomfort, including cramping, pain, constipation, bloating, and sometimes-painful feelings of waste moving through the belly area are common in the first several weeks, and may take months to stabilize.

This information has lifted a weight from me. I want to prevent others from the same anxiety I was feeling. What do you all think??
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:25 PM

To add to Giftware's list, my favorite description of all time is "Starbgirl's" saying, "giving birth to your BM!" HAHAHA!!! Seriously, I feel like I give birth every day.... it's that painful.

I agree... everything is so sugar-coated. I had expected to be possibly constipated, and I also expected that I would not want to "push", so that is why I knew it was important to take my stool softeners from the beginning. But, I had NOOOOOOO idea what really happens!

I remember my first gas pains in the hospital.... those pains knocked the breath out of me.... I knew at that point all that had been said to me was sugar coated.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register