Death--- have we ever lost a sister during surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Death--- have we ever lost a sister during surgery? Death--- have we ever lost a sister during surgery?

Unread 01-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Death--- have we ever lost a sister during surgery?

I know that this is morbid but since dying is the thought that consumes my every waking and sleeping moment in the last few weeks, I was wondering if any sister has had a bad outcome and lost her life on the operating table.

I have lost a brother, a classmate and the grandchild of a dear friend since September (the classmate on Dec. 26 and the six year old on Dec. 30) and I guess the grim reaper is haunting my sleep and my day time thoughts. Being 60 and realizing that I am not a spring chicken doesn't help much either.

If the site administrators feel that this is inappropriate to ask, I understand. I was just wondering. Maybe hopefully finding out that no one has ever died will bring me some peace of mind.

Downyocean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2008, 12:54 PM

I am worried about that too. I think the risks are very very low but it's on your mind anyway. See if you can google the topic and I think you'll find that all will be well.

Hang in there.
Unread 01-05-2008, 01:59 PM

I think that is the one thought that we all have right before going under anesthesia, When I met with mine I told them how mortified I was about not waking from surgery, she assured me that it rarely happens, that's why they do all the exams prior to surgery and that their equipment is alot better that before. I did feel better after that. Be sure to tell your dr. about your fears.
Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2008, 02:08 PM

please try to be at peace with your decision to have surgery. Talk to your surgeon about your fears. Listen to the options available concerning anaesthesia and pain relief. You will undergo various pre op tests including tests on your heart, blood pressure any existing medical problems. This is major surgery. I too had thoughts about what would happen if I died. Sometimes you just have to let be and let God.... Hope this helps. Hystersisters are here to help and support you through this..
Unread 01-05-2008, 02:59 PM

I can relate to your concerns. I have had several surgeries due to Breast Cancer and my HUGE fear was waking up while they were still operating on me. I had read about it and it put an enormous amount of pre surgery fear in me. I talked to the anesthetist two different surgeries about both not waking up and waking up!!!! Each time they put some calming drug into my IV and I am here to say that I woke up at the correct time. So, talk to this person and he/she will help calm your very real fears.
Unread 01-05-2008, 03:01 PM

Maybe because I have high blood pressure and heart problems I am overly concerned. I have cardiac clearance so I guess I'm good to go. I guess those two deaths since Christmas have me mortified. My friend was driving the car when the her granddaughter was killed and I've put myself in her place with my little ones. I don't know how she is surviving her grief. Sharing her grief is consuming me.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It is good to know that I am not alone in my morbid fear. I will have a spinal since I doubt that I could handle the breathing tube again. My throat hurt for a month after my gall bladder surgery.

Downyocean
Unread 01-05-2008, 03:29 PM

This is a very real fear that most of us share. I always say that is why I am thankful I was born in this century because can you imagine what we would have had to endure hundreds of years ago!

Lots of hugs.
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:10 PM

Oh boy can I relate to this!! I am 100% consumed with this fear, I am so afraid that I will not wake up and my daughter will grow up and not remember me. I am terrified of this it consumes my every thought. I was so scared before my cold cone surgery, I had never been put under and all the stuff in the news and the trailers for the movie Awake did not help. I started crying in pre-op holding and the nurse came over and she was just lovely and sat on my bed and held my hand and talked to me then had the anesthesiologist come in and he was great and he said that if I wasn't scared or nervous for never being put under then there would be a problem. I was so scared and everything was fine and I really thought I would be o.k. now that I had been through it. I AM NOT!! I am so scared and i cry and cry most of the day and anything can set it off. I only have 2 days I am so scared. I have taped a video for my family and friends and written letters explaining to my family what to do here and on myspace and with my e-mail if I don't make it. I have written personal letters to my kids and my husband and the one great love of my life. I am consumed with fear. I am so scared I am so glad that I have this website to post and read other post because all everyone on the outside say is "think positive" and "you'll be o.k." bla bla bla. It does not stop me from being scared or worried or consumed so thank you for posting this topic. it helps me so very much to know I am not crazy (well maybe a little I am a pessimist too which makes it so hard too. You are a wonderful bunch of women thank you so very much xoxo
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:54 PM

I, too, was so fearful about being put under for my hysterectomy almost 3 years ago. So scared, I put the surgery off for longer than I should until I spoke to the on-call gyno during an emergency room visit for excessive bleeding. He told me I could have the hysterectomy with an epidural and that was it. I had the hysterectomy the following month without the fear of being "put under". I was given a sedative like putting you in a twilight sleep and the surgery was no problem.

Most people have some sort of fear about being put under, some far more than others. I was terrified, so don't beat yourself up about it.

Good Luck!!!
Unread 01-05-2008, 08:00 PM

I believe we all have this fear as it is a rare possibility anytime someone undergoes surgery. Doctors are obligated to discuss risks vs benefits prior to any procedure. Being a medical professional, I realize that the hospital is fully prepared for any complication that may arise. I have made myself a little more comfortable by making sure my medical power of attorney, living will and code blue status are up to date and on my chart. I have also discussed my wishes with my doctors and given them copies of the documents. While I am putting myself in the hands of God, I trust the skill and knowledge of those who will be caring for me. Saying a prayer for us all in our upcoming surgeries.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register