Bladder repair and Hyst questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder repair and Hyst questions Bladder repair and Hyst questions

Unread 02-26-2003, 08:56 PM
Bladder repair and Hyst questions

Saw the Dr. yesterday and discussed my options and scheduled surgery for Mar. 31. Have had problems with urine leakage since childbirth 18 years ago so don't jump, run, cough, sneeze or anything else that will cause me to leak. Boy I am I tired of it after all these years!!!

After 20 years of marriage I decided it was time for a change. Decided to have my bladder fixed, get a divorce and found I'm still in love with my high school love and he with me (only problem is he is 1000 miles away). When I decided to make changes in my life I make great big ones!!

Anyway, have found a new love of sex and am concerned about how the surgery could change it. I haven't been interested in sex for years and now I'm really enjoying it again and don't want that to change.

My Dr. advised my uterus had fallen some but it was my option to have it removed to prevent any future health issues that could arise with aging. I have NO desire for additional children. My ex had a vasectomy so haven't had to worry about birth control for years and now it's an issue as I have heavy spotting 3 out of 4 weeks a month now (hard on the sex life).

Would love to hear from anyone who has had these procedures done and what I can expect. Kind of questioning if I should have the hyst or just the bladder repair, but pretty sure I should just get it overwith all at once since I'm going to be there anyway and not too keen on surgery or pain.

Thanks for this great website. I have found a lot of good info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2003, 11:57 PM

I have questions about the bladder repair too.
I'm scheduled for a TAH 3/28 (the date was moved up from 4/19. the sooner the better I think)

Anyway I asked about bladder issues today and he said if I wasn't leaking, there shouldn't be a problem but I'm still worried.

What is the bladder sling? Is that the only type of repair done?

Is the bladder checked routinely as part of the surgery?

I'm going to ask these questions at my next appointment but appreciate any information you all have.

thanks,

Tracy
Unread 02-27-2003, 07:47 AM

I don't have any experience with bladder repair but did go to a urologist before my TVH for another problem which required a minor surgical procedure in the office.

Tracy, When you said "Anyway I asked about bladder issues today and he said if I wasn't leaking, there shouldn't be a problem but I'm still worried." ....
Is there a reason why you are worried? There are other problems beside incontinence that can be a problem that would require a need to see a urologist.

The bladder or any issues need to be discussed with the dr. well in advance of surgery. This is usually a urologist since some gyn's don't do bladder surgery and sometimes it can take awhile to get in to see a urologist and get the surgery schedules together with a gyn. There are specific tests that a urologist can do to determine if any additional surgery is needed for the bladder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2003, 09:39 AM

I had the Burch procedure done with my sub-total hyst and BSO. It's weird 8 weeks post, now that I am feeling pretty good, and have been cranking up my activity level some more. There's no leaky pee-pee thing going on! The only trouble I have had so far is if I don't empty my bladder completely - sometimes I'll have a little leakage from that. I think it's because my body hasn't completely recovered...

As to sex - my dh and I resumed relations a couple weeks ago, and other than having less lubrication, everything seems to be working just fine! We are going away for a romantic weekend to celebrate our 10th anniversary, and I want to be a sex kitten for him - or at least try! Our kids are still in grade school, so we are still pretty tired at the end of the day. Hopefully, without kids, and in a romantic environment, I can relax enough to hit those high notes!!

Good luck to you, Sister. I am really glad I had the surgery, and am feeling better and better every day!
Unread 02-27-2003, 08:41 PM

I recommend that you visit a urologist. I'm scheduled for a TAH and an open burch procedure 3/11/03. The urologist was wonderful, supportive, understanding. We talked about several options.... I'm comfortable with the decision.

Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register