will they let me keep a picture/etc. until they knock me out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

will they let me keep a picture/etc. until they knock me out will they let me keep a picture/etc. until they knock me out

Unread 06-23-2008, 08:45 PM
will they let me keep a picture/etc. until they knock me out

Can I carry a picture of my husband...or something like that until I am asleep before surgery???

I have extreme anxiety about doctors...have only been in the hospital once...hated all of it. I have to have Valium if I sit in a Dentists office waiting room for more than about 10 min. Needless to say...I sometimes let my fears get all worked up and take over. Normally, I spin my wedding ring...it has been "my security blanket" to get through just about anything stressful or scary for the last 10 years. I've just about rubbed it raw a few times. Will they let me have a picture of my husband, or some such thing??? I know it sounds really silly, but I have to have something that I can concentrate on (specifically about my DH) to give me strength. I know I will be really calm and good around my family, etc., - I'm very good about being calm in order to keep everyone else calm...but once I am on my own...I really need my strength and hope that I can at least have SOMETHING so I can keep my cool. I feel so silly asking...but I really need to know?

TANK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2008, 09:06 PM

You should ask when you have your pre op appt.
Good Luck!
Unread 06-23-2008, 09:34 PM

I kept my MP3 player w/ me until I was wheeled into the OR. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2008, 11:07 PM

My husband was with me in surgical prep, and I was very very nervous. The anesthesiologist came in and after I had signed all the necessary papers, he said "It's time to help you relax a little". That is the last thing I remember until after my surgery. My husband says that I did indeed relax a great deal.

Take your picture with you. They will probably have to take it from you during surgery, but they can put it in a plastic bag with your other things so it will be available again as soon as you wake up.

S and Best Wishes,
kay
Unread 06-24-2008, 06:45 AM

I am sure you can.....but my DH was with me until they wheeled me to the OR, and thats all I remember. I have very bad allergies, and I was afraid I was not going to be able to breath, so, I told the nurse I had some nose drops and my fears, so she took my nose drops and a piece of tape and taped them to my gown I felt really good knowing that they were with me
talk to your nurse, they will do almost anything to keep you happy.....
Unread 06-24-2008, 08:24 AM

Definitely ask. I had my husband with me right up until they wheeled me into the OR, and I had a CD player loaded with extremely soothing music which they actually let me keep during surgery. Your anesthesiologist can also be very helpful in terms of getting you through this with a minimum of anxiety.

Don't hesitate to ask for whatever you need to be as comfortable as possible - I was pleasantly surprised at how far they went to ease my fears and make the experience as fear-free as possible for me.
Unread 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM

My Dh was with me until they wheeled me away. He walked with me and I went one way, he went the other. The anesthesiologist gave me something to "Calm" down and I was kinda loopy by the time I was being wheeled away. Just tell them you are very anxious, they will help you with it. Don't worry, you will be fine!!!! Just let them know, not just your doctor, let the nurses EVERYONE know you are anxious.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register