between week 1-2 post TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

between week 1-2 post TAH between week 1-2 post TAH

Unread 04-01-2005, 04:14 PM
between week 1-2 post TAH

just wanted to chat with someone in my same situation and see how everyone else is feeling. I thought it might make us feel better to know everyone else is probably having the same pain.

I am TAH/BSO horizontal cut on 3/23/05, still wearing my PJ's and not doing much at all. I think my butt hurts more than anything else. Don't get me wrong I get up and walk around the house A LOT, but it is so not what I am used to doing. I am actually jealous of my husband getting to run the kids around to all their sporting practices (I usually gripe about this).

Happy Healing

Angie RN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2005, 04:25 PM

Hi Angie,

I had TAH on 3/21...I really cannot deal with the swelly belly...I also have not done much...Dr. said nothing for three weeks...I do walk around the house ALOT and take a stroll outside to get fresh air but other then that my DH aka "the warden" will not allow me to to anything else...My DSIL came up from Georgia to help this week with taking the kids where they need to be...Last night they went to the mall to let my nephew go to Build A Bear for his birthday but I had to say at home....They did think of my while they were out and returned with a bear lying on a couch wearing a "Princess" t shirt, bathrobe and slippers....I just wish I could go somewhere except this house....

I am moving better each day....Denise
Unread 04-01-2005, 04:37 PM

Congrats Angie, for being able to walk around so quickly; I do know of individuals who have to lie in bed longer due to pain after post-op.

I am into my 4th week of post-op and still sport a swelly belly - most prominently on my left side. I understand that this swelly belly will go away as my insides heal. The swelly belly will not go away with dieting nor exercising.

In my 1st week, my swelly belly became worst each time I sat up for long periods of time, e.g. in front of the pc or reading. So, I have learnt to rest in bed each time I feel the discomfort in my belly.

I am now able to walk long distances and have been up and about since my 2nd week.

Remember to have plenty of rest and DO NOT lift up any heavy stuff.

Take Care, you will be fine in due time.

Rose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2005, 04:40 PM
10 Days Post-Op

Hey Gals,
I am 10 days post-op and wondering if anyone else is tired of feeling sore!!!???!!

I am getting around okay (downstairs and short walks) but the pain from the incision is rough. I have noticed the last day that there is a hardness at the top and continuing down. So sitting and getting up is very uncomfortable. Does anyone else have this? I don't have any redness or excessive swelling.

I thought I would feel better than this but it does take weeks to recoup, not days ~

My butt hurts, too! Plus I have a displaced tailbone so trying to find a comfortable position for that is impossible.

Thanks for listening to my "tail" of woe!!!

Sneekers

TAH, vertical incision, everything removed due to over 10 cm left ovary, 7 cm right ovary and 4.5 cm fibrod tumor. Cancer-FREE!!!! But Dr found sever endometrosis and that required more surgery to remove from bladder, intestines and bowel.
Unread 04-01-2005, 04:57 PM

Hey Girls,

Didn't have A TAH. Had a LAVH with A&P repairs and bladder tack. Have some of the same problems. I've been home since Sat. and still hanging out in my PJs. Well, I am long pants PJ's instead of the short ones I wore with my cath. It came out Thursday.

My biggest complain is my tail bone. Hurts pretty bad if I sit a certain way. My gyn. nurse said I could take a hot bath (of course, no bubbles or anything like that) and soak. Kind-of like a whole body sitz bath. There is no way I could stand to stay on my tail bone that long without a donut ring and how on earth would I get out of the tub. LOL.

Donna
Unread 04-01-2005, 10:14 PM

I had a TAH the same day as you. I went out for the first time on Wednesday, I did some shopping, walked around and went for lunch. I paid for it on Thursday. I never got out of bed all day. Today, I went to the supermarket and went for a 20 min walk in my neighborhood. I feel pretty good. My philosphy is to try to push myself a little bit and my body will let me know if its too much. If it is, I will have to slow down and relax a little more. I have a mission to be able to play tennis in 5 weeks, so that is in the back of my mind driving me nuts. I really want to play, but don't want to hurt myself either. Its a fine line....
Unread 04-01-2005, 10:18 PM

Also 10 days post-op here...

I'm up and around... took a short car trip with DH today to get my favorite to-go meal (tacos).

I didn't nap this afternoon (naughty princess) so am a little grumpy this evening. And, tummy is a little sore.

Also, weird new symptom... my labia feel a little sore, though I have no reason that they would be. What could that be?

Otherwise, stubble and swelly belly are my only complaints. Hauling around my own belly is one thing, but all this extra is entirely uncool!
Unread 04-01-2005, 10:55 PM

I had my TAH, bladder sling and PA Repair on March 21st. I started going out on short trips 1 week post-op (this past Monday). I know when I overdo it, because I start to get sorer than I normally am. I have not had a problem with fatigue, and haven't napped since I quit taking the narcotic pain meds.

Today my outtings consisted of going for a couple of walks around home, and to a movie at the theater, a few blocks away.

Seems like one day I'll do a bit more, and then next I just take it a bit easier. Seems to have worked for me so far.

I still have the swelly belly, although it's gone down a lot. I've been wearing sweat pants and yoga pants, and haven't even attempted to put my jeans on. I don't like anything tight on my belly yet - it's still sore to the touch, but not awful. And, I have noticed that the swelly belly is worse at night. I'll be glad when that goes away, but it feels so much better than the basketball sized belly I came home with! (I haven't been brave enough to step on the scale yet!)
Unread 04-02-2005, 12:37 AM

Hi ladies, I had my TAH on the 21st. I am feeling good. I am back to cooking, and cleaning and doing the laundry, not picking up anything heavy though. I don't want to pull my internal stitches.
I do get sore in the evenings if I've done alot during the day. I only take some ibuprofen if I need it. I am still taking a nap during the day or if I don't fall asleep, I just read a book or magazine in bed.
I have a band that I wear around my waist and it helps ALOT!!! I am waiting for my swelly belly band to be delivered, then I'll use that instead.
I haven't even attempted to wear my 'regular' clothes or even underwear yet for that matter! lol
I have been wearing DH boxers as shorts and a t-shirt. If we go somewhere I wear some sweatpants.
Just take it easy and do what you feel comfortable doing. And if you start hurting.........rest!! Also keep drinking your water!!
Unread 04-02-2005, 06:03 AM

Hi ladies! I had TVH on 3-23. I haven't had any fatigue issues. Took a trip yesterday with DH and 2 DS to Petsmart to get fish for the new aquarium. I get up and take walks thru my home to many inclines and declines in the yard. I don't attempt towear anything other than sweats at this point. Haven't had a lot of swelly belly but to me my belly is always swelly. I feel pretty good and I'm trying to be a good princess but I'm about to loose my mind looking at these walls. DH reminds me to be good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register