Pre-op cleaning and organising?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op cleaning and organising?? Pre-op cleaning and organising??

Unread 07-05-2007, 06:21 AM
Pre-op cleaning and organising??

Good day ladies...I am scheduled for a short notice TAH July 17. Is anyone else wearing theirselves out cleaning and organising constantly? I don't understand why under the fridge and stove so important, lol. I have read that this need is related to the "nesting " associated with the birthing process but unsure how the two can relate at all. Could it be that I will be losing the place where I nurtured my children? I am not sad at all about losing my uterus....just scared about the surgery and recovery. I have been pulling apart closets, cupboards, bookcases and anything else that would not be considered "normal" everyday cleaning and organising. Could it just be a way to blow off some stress and to keep my mind occupied? I also know how important is is now to start resting up so that I don't go into my surgery completely worn out but can't stop doing things. And.....I also find myself constantly getting sidetracked ...not finishing one job or task before starting another then walking into the room where I started the first task and saying to myself...how did I end up leaving here to go empty garbage or leaving dishwasher half emptied out and going to another room to start the vacuum??? Feel like I am going crazy...but they say if you think you are going crazy then your not!!lolol. Anyone else with me???? Thanks in advance if anyone else about ready to be commited along with me! Take care all. Cris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2007, 06:30 AM

My hyst was almost 5 years ago but I do remember the urge to have the house ( & everything else ) in perfect order. I cleaned & straightened and cooked ahead constantly. I also flitted from one thing to another - nervous energy, I think.
One good thing about it was a house cleaner than ever. Another benefit was being tired enough to sleep a little at night.
Use a bit of your energy to treat yourself - a little "pre-pampering". Practice makes perfect
I went to lunch and the movies with friends, shopped for new comfy jammies, had a day at the beauty salon. Do what you enjoy most.

S
Unread 07-05-2007, 06:37 AM

YES YES YES! I'm so with you on this one. I was just informed 2 days ago that I'm scheduled for July 20 and I'm freaking out with cleaning. I know my DH's ability to clean and let's just say the rest of the family there.. no help at all. But I'm still working full time, only just moved into this house back on Nov 22. got nothing seriously set up due to my c-sect the day after Christmas and then have had issues ever since. So I can SO relate to the going insane with cleaning and worrying not about the loss of the uterus (and bladder surgery iin my case too) but my recovery and being stuck in the house and having to watch idlely if it falls into shambles around me...I think the thought of my family taking care of the house scares me more than the surgery! LOL So yes I think I'll need to be commited now and for the next month so I don't loose it! Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2007, 06:41 AM

Hi jeanus and thanks. Ironic, went out for lunch day before yesterday with my best gal pal whom is moving 2 hours away from me at months end. Shopped for comfy PJ's that afternoon with her and started back to my yoga class (haven't been since April) last night with another gal pal. Hair-do day comming up. Sounds as though I am on the right track, and completely "normal" whew!! Yes, I also forgot to mention the big pots of food that I have been making and freezing, as if I should think everyone shall starve, lol. Take care, Cris
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:06 AM

Hi all,
I've been doing the same thing as well as obsessing over my garden. I guess knowing I won't be able to add more plants for awhile has me frantically creating new flower beds and adding to the existing. Maybe it's a little of the "dirt therapy" thing? I'm stressing over the house being destroyed while I am gone having my surgery too. My DH is great at walking into a room I've just cleaned and leaving it destroyed! 5 grandkids will be in town visiting for 2 weeks starting 2 days before my surgery and I'm sure DH will have them over to destroy the house with him while I'm in the hospital. Not sure I should even bother cleaning before I go but I know I would be miserable if I didn't. Anyone else have a DH that could care less cause the cleaning is your job?
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:26 AM

For me it's not that my dh that could care less it's that he oblivious to the mess that he makes. Mine works 3000 km away since January and has only been home twice since then for two one week visits. I was very sad when he left at first.......then I sorta started getting used to it. Since finding out that I need the hyster he has come home as of last week to stay until early August (depending upon me) and it is sooo much more work with him home. He better look and see what needs doing around here. I am a neat freak and feel so obligated to get up and "do it right". It is gonna be a rough road ahead, lol. Close eyes and don't look!!! Yes gardens here too!!! Better say good bye to my plants....
Unread 07-05-2007, 09:15 AM

I'm right there with ya, (((sister)))

I'm far from Martha Stewart (just ask ANYONE) but I found myself with a "to-do" list longer than my arm about a month before my surgery. And my shopping list was almost as long.

At about 3 weeks before surgery, I caught myself re-washing clean clothes (they had just gotten a little wrinkled in the drawer). I decided that things had gotten a little out of hand at that point. I revised my list, taking 75% of what was on it off. I cleaned out the fridge, pantry, and freezer, and that was about it.

As for resting before surgery -- if keeping busy helps keep your mind off the surgery, then I say you should keep busy. You'll have plenty of time to rest after the surgery.

Try to take it easy, but we've all been where you are right now!
Unread 07-05-2007, 09:38 AM

It's sweet that your DH is coming home to stay with you. Mine wants to be a help to me, I think, it's just difficult for him to "keep things up" to my standards (my fault). Also, we live in a studio (our bed in the living room) as we are adding onto the house in stages. Our bedroom addition is in the framing stages. I think if I had a bedroom to stay in, the rest of the house could be ignored. I worry more about people stopping by to visit and seeing the mess, or not having a place to get away from company (except the bathroom). Maybe I'm looking for trouble that won't be there? I do know this will be a stretching time for many of us that are doers of the house! I'm sure it will all work out ok in the end. I like all the reminders to "take care of us" during the early post op phase. I need to hear that and realize that a little extra clutter and dirt will only be temporary! It's certainly not worth over for me. Have a great day, please share any ideas to minimize the pre op stress regarding this! Maybe I should just move into the RV after? Parked at the beach? Mmmm...pleasant thought!
Unread 07-05-2007, 10:48 AM

Maybe you should just politely and temporarily encourage any visitors that might want to visit to just call for the first while. Even your dear grandchildren if possible. Just have either your son or daughter visit without the kids until you are up to it. Everyone is very understanding of my wishes regarding visiting. Even at the hospital I wish only my dh until I know how it's all going to turn out. I just had my ds (17yrs old and just graduated) fly off to New Zealand Sunday night for the month..(another story ugh!!) And have arranged for a great friend (mother of his best friend) to take my other ds for a week (12yrs) so that I may be left quietly to pop my pain meds and snooze on and off, lol. I don't think anyone thinks it would be rude to excuse yourself from the visiting thing for a while...that's you call. Good luck...Cris
Unread 07-05-2007, 11:26 AM

Strange, but it's my husband that is helping with the gigantic list, too. He decided yesterday that it was time to get the new kitchen counters I wanted (to be installed while I'm home!!!). Oh, and it's time to get our new roof installed (while I'm home). And we've been having trouble with our DirecTV, so he's got a contractor coming to see if we can get better reception so that I'm not without TV while I'm home! I'm starring in my own version of Extreme Home Makeover!!! Where is Ty Pennington?!?!

My cleaning compulsions at the moment? Baseboards and chair rails. Not sure why. And I haven't been cooking per se, but I've baked enough bread for the freezer to feed my street. Seriously, why bread??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register