post op 7 days..depressed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op 7 days..depressed post op 7 days..depressed

Unread 04-29-2010, 04:02 PM
post op 7 days..depressed

I am post op 1 week after a bladder sling and hysterectomy. I was doing well a few days ago..better than I even expected. Today i am feeling depressed. I am crying at nothing. I am sweating on and off and I do not want to take the pain pills because they give me wicked dreams. I also have had a wicked headache since I had come home. I am 43 have already had 2 c-sections and a tubal and I never felt like this..I am concerned that i cant stop crying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Re: post op 7 days..depressed

I'm sorry you're having a rough time. You are not alone-we are here to support you!

First, if you are in pain, you should take something for it. Pain causes stress which inhibits healing. If you are very uncomfortable with the side efefcts of the meds, call your doctor and ask if another drug might be better for you.

Second, as difficult as it is, depression and crying are very common. You did not say whether you kept your ovaries, but even if you did, they can sometimes go into shock after a hyst and it can take a while for your hormones to even out. This can lead to crying jags, hot flashes, night sweats, and other symptoms of menopause. If your symptoms are worrying you, call your doctor and talk to them about how you feel. They may be able to give you something to help.

If you did not keep your ovaries, are you on HRT? If not, you may want to talk to your doctor about your options. If you are on HRT, it can take a while to get the balance right. Keep in close contact with your doctor about this.

The headache could be from stress or if you are a coffee drinker-are you drinking a lot less now? Also make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. It helps you flush out the anesthesia and helps keep your bowels and bladder functioning properly. I found that doing some gentle neck stretches and deep breathing helped relieve some of my stress as well.

Take care of yourself. What you are feeling is very common. Don't be afraid to call your doctor if you have questions or concerns. That's what they're there for.
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:35 PM

A hysterectomy takes a long time to heal. I have just received medical clearance after 6 weeks. My emotions are still all over the place. Not bad, just all over the place. Like you, I had 2 C-sections and a variety of minor surgeries before that. This one, I can honestly say, continues to take awhile. Believe me, it does get better; it just takes time, and it will continue to do so. I am feeling much better than I did before the surgery, so let me reassure you, there is hope!

It is funny, because I keep waiting for "Aunt Flo" to arrive, and it hasn't happened. It is kind of weird, but I know my hormones are still active, by the ups and downs I have had. (Yes, I was able to keep my ovaries.) This week would have been her visit, and I am feeling "down" too. So I guess sometimes that does continue, but I know that's just a temporary thing.

I am 39, and I really don't know how ladies in their 50's and 60's go through this. It is difficult.
I know how long it is taking me to come around, so I can just imagine how much more demanding it is for some of these ladies.

I am sorry that you are struggling right now. Hang in there, and know you are not alone. Have faith, have patience, and take one day at a time. Sending you a to help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2010, 08:02 PM

Bucksnort -

You are barely a week post-op, so you are in very early inital recovery. You have to stay ahead of the pain, if you aren't taking any prescription make sure that you take some over the counter meds. Not staying ahead of the pain will delay your recovery because your body is fighting the pain.

Your ovaries may not be working, sometimes they "sleep" after surgery. I had a wicked headache from my surgical menopause for 3 days after my surgery.

The anesthesia, the hormonal upheaval are all the things that make you cry and cause the emotional rollercoaster.

Please check out our Hysterectomy Checkpoints

Also check out the Recovery Progress for the week of your surgery. You will find women who had surgery the same week as you and that can help so you'll know what is more "normal" for your stage of recovery.

G
Unread 04-29-2010, 09:56 PM

Hi - last night I was also overcome with emotions and started crying. It was terrible! I am not sure if everything just hit me or if it is the hormones or what. This morning I was totally exhausted and slept until noon, totally unlike me. Feeling better now, but I know what you mean about the emotional rollercoaster! Hugs and hang in there!!

TVH April 19th - still have ovaries
Unread 04-29-2010, 10:32 PM

i had the same problems. my dr. said the surgery sent me into menopause but should regulate itself after 6 weeks or so. I'm at week 7 and just now is it starting to get better. i didn't expect all this emotional stuff and it has really caused some problems.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register