What about a TVH ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What about a TVH ?? What about a TVH ??

Unread 02-03-2005, 07:13 PM
What about a TVH ??

I have been reading a lot of different posts here, and they have helped my TONS.
The one question I have is ..What should I expect after a TVH ??

I am keeping my ovaries, and everything else is going, so I am wondering if this is as painful of a recovery as a TAH. I know it is not the same because the incision will not be on the outside. But, do they have as much to do when they thru the Vag way ??

I have read a lot about what they do, but that really doesn't tell ya much about how your going to feel afterwards. Any advice, words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2005, 08:22 PM
What about a TVH ??

Hi. I had my TVH on December 29 and kept my ovaries. I too was very interested in what to expect and what I would feel like after. I had the surgery on Wednesday and left for home on Friday. Pain was pretty intense right after waking in the hospital, but was quickly under control with the pump. By Thursday, I was able to take oral pain meds. I would say that I only needed pain meds after coming home for about a week or less and after that only at night. My best advice would be to please plan on at least two weeks of doing nothing. I even stayed upstairs in my home for the first week. Dr. advised no stairs. Taking it easy for the first two to three weeks was the best thing I did. I had a nurse friend really give me a lecture about healing and she said:
"You can take 6 weeks to heal or 6 months. Just do exactly what your doc says!" The first week has it's on problems, constipation, some pain, etc. Then every week seems to get better. Just give it some time.

I'm now almost 6 weeks post op and I can say I feel so much better than I did before. Having my TVH was the best thing I ever did for me. I just feel great!
Unread 02-03-2005, 08:55 PM
What about a TVH ??

A TVH is a heck of a lot better than a TAH... unless there are complications and that can happen in either case. I'm VERY glad I had a TVH. The main thing is that there was no abdominal incision. Because of this, it was a lot easier to get up and move around.

Any surgery hurts, but of all of the surgeries that I've had, this one wasn't so bad. I bleed only a bit after surgery. I used panty shields after that to catch the dissolving stitches.

What I was concerned about was vulva pain. There was none. My anus felt sore, but that was from the pressure of the vagina being opened for so long during the prep and surgery. It wasn't that big a deal.

The only thing that really was troublesome was the position they put me in. They move the table so that your head is down and your butt is up. This allows the surgeon better view and positioning. When I woke up I thought I was suffocating. I panicked, my Gyno wasn't happy either. The anesthesiologist told us both that it was okay. It was just because of the position I was in. My Gyno held my hand and I went out again.

In the room they gave me a breathing device I was suppose to practice with every 15 minutes. This was to exercise my lungs. It sounded like I had fluid in my lungs, that's why I panicked in surgery. My Gyno told me that because of the position I was in, all of my organs moved forward toward my lungs. After the surgery they had to find their new permanent homes. We've talked at this site and we believe that the intestines fill the space the uterus resided.

The only other problem I had, we all had... constipation. At this moment, that's all I can remember. It really wasn't that bad... at least compared to what other's have gone through.

Hope this helps!
Staci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2005, 10:35 PM
What about a TVH ??

I had a TVH-BSO and to tell you the truth the head ache I got which they said that was from loss of blood, was hurting me a whole lot more than the hysterectomy!! I have only been bothered with slight pain so far, which Ive only had to take a regular Ibuprofen. Just be sure and take the stool softeners and drink plenty of water, and you should have no prob with constipation. I saw my DR this past Monday and she told me I can do my regular routine at home just take it easy. No weight lifting, sit-ups or sex until I see her again at 6 weeks!! Good Luck!!
Unread 02-04-2005, 06:28 AM
What about a TVH ??

Thanks for the replys !

I must say that the breathing thing would have scared the heck out of me as well.. I didn't know that they put you into a position like that. I am thankful that my DH has a week off and then after that my mom is going to come and help me. I have 2 smaller children 16months and 5 years old, and my 5year old has Down Syndrome, and she is like another 1year old. So, I am rallying the troops to help me out. If there is one thing that I have learned from reading everyone's posts, it is to no be afraid to ask for help..
Thanks so much for easing my mind some. I really can't wait to get this over with...NO more heavy bleeding and cramps that could kill. I just love this site, it really has helped TONS

Thanks again.
Unread 02-04-2005, 12:45 PM
What about a TVH ??

Oh My God! Does that breathing problem happen to everyone or was that an isolated case? That sounds very scary and I do not handle coming out of ansethitic well. I come out of it very shaky and panicky. Please tell me that was not common.
Unread 02-04-2005, 02:19 PM
What about a TVH ??

Susan,

Well that was the first time I ever heard of that!!. I would think and hope, that they wait till you are under, to move you into any position they want. Then move you back to just laying flat before you are awake. The breathing excersice is alittle plastic held held gizmo, that you blow 3 balls into the air !! Well, that sounds weird. but you know what I mean
I have had leeps, and D&C`s, and 3 kids, and never found myself on my head
Unread 02-07-2005, 07:29 PM
What about a TVH ??

I didn't mean to scare anyone. I was just recounting my experience. Time and again doctors have told me that I have things that are "rare." Well, aren't I speical. Hopefully this is one of those "special" times. Personally, I've never heard of that happening to anyone else, which I'm very glad of. Yes it was scary, but it was worth the scare. I'm glad I had a TVH. After reading all of the comments from the sister's who had to deal with incisions, etc., the freak out when I was waking up was nothing. If I knew then what I know now, I'd still have the TVH.
Unread 02-07-2005, 07:31 PM
What about a TVH ??

Oh, by the way I was asleep when they were moving me around. They gave me something to relax me and I was out a few moments after getting on the table. When I woke up I was on a gurney in recovery. I think I just panicked when I heard the gurgling in my lungs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register