Nervous/scared- too much expected too soon after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous/scared- too much expected too soon after surgery? Nervous/scared- too much expected too soon after surgery?

Unread 02-19-2012, 06:43 AM
(Kids Mentioned)Nervous/scared- too much expected too soon after surgery?

My surgery is Friday. My parents will take our children after school, then bring them home to see I'm ok. Saturday into Sunday afternoon/evening it will be just my husband and the animals and I until my parents bring the kids home. My husband was able to arrange with his employer that he is off on Monday and can go in a bit late to work so he can drive the kids to school for the first whole week following my surgery. He will also be leaving work early to pick them up and bring them home. After that first week I need to be able to walk the children to and from school again. It is 1/4 mile each way- 1/2 mile round trip.

I've always bounced back quickly from previous surgeries an appendectomy and c-section, but from reading other stories on here, I'm getting really nervous and scared that I'm not going to be able to do this after 10 days!

I know I'm not supposed to do things such as vacuum, but would walking be encouraged as long as I'm not bleeding or experiencing severe pain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Re: Nervous/scared- too much expected too soon after surgery?

you maybe pushing it if you're stating walking children to school after 10 days post surgery.
walking is encouraged but how far walking?
this really needs to be addressed after surgery to see if you can do this.
some ppl. that have your type surgery bounced right back while others don't.
if i was you,please have a plan B.
EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT AFTER THIS TYPE SURGERY.
i also compared TAH to previous 2 c-sections and found out hard way that these 2 types surgeries are vastly different.
i have read of some women walking quite soon after surgery BUT EVERYONE is so different.
just remember if you start cramping or any bleeding you might've did too much.
good luck in your recovery.
Unread 02-19-2012, 07:11 AM

I accidentally deleted that info when I edited a typo from the post! It is 1/4 mile each way- 1/2 mile round trip. I may be able to get a neighbor to let me hitch a ride home with her after walking the kids to school, but she's a little flaky. My husband can't get any more time from work either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2012, 07:34 AM

just be careful that type of surgery you're having i have noticed has more bleeding issues.
i never bled none except a brown spot after i hurt dumb self by just pushing vacummn cleaner to living room.didnt use it (@7 weeks).
but 1/4 mile might be ok.definitely talk to your neighbor about your return journey back to your house.good luck.
Unread 02-19-2012, 07:35 AM

is it possible you could get a child minder? i`m 16 days post op and couldn`t walk that far.everyone is different but i can`t imagine you will heal that quickly.i compared the surgery to previous 2 c-sections a bowel op and an ectopic and excision surgery but it was completley different to all of them.I have done well i`ve been up and shopping since day 3 but keep needin to sit down and rest.Listen to your body and don`t over do it.
Unread 02-19-2012, 07:51 AM

I actually walk my 3 kids and a neighbors 2 kids to school. I don't know anyone else who would be able to get 5 kids to and from school. It's only 15min walking each way at this point, so I'm hoping I could just have us leave earlier and take longer to walk.
Having someone else do it isn't an option since we don't know anyone else with a van. I can always sit down at the school should I need to, and I may need to use that option as well. At least once the kids are at school I have the entire day to myself to lay on the couch!

Thank you for your insight. I guess I just need to hope for the best, and take it easy when I can. I really dont want to prolong my healing or cause any issues
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:00 AM

just be prepared.
i have read on this site about when dr. changes kind of surgery too.
i would have backup plan at best.
good luck
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:14 AM

Make sure the kids know that you might be walking slower and they'll need to keep up with YOU and not the other way around. I started walking on the treadmill and never thought it was possible for me to walk as slow as I did the first few times!
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:41 AM

Could you hire a teenager in the neighbourhood to walk them?
Unread 02-19-2012, 09:00 AM

I will have to do a practice walk to see how it goes the day before hand. Hiring someone to walk the kids isn't an option since money is a big issue. I've thought about putting the surgery off, but that doesn't benefit anyone as I'd still be in pain all the time. We need to make sure that my husband doesn't get in trouble with work, so we'll hope for the best and take it easy and slow when I can. People have had to make do with worse!

Thank you ladies for the advice!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register