weight | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-29-2005, 08:35 PM
weight

Posted this elsewhere but got no response, so I thought I'd try here. Thanks!

I am on weight watchers and have lost a considerable amount of weight , but still have a long way to go. I worry about how to maintain my losing pattern and staying on program while recuperating. Anyone here do Weight Watchers and face similar challenges? How did you handle it? What worked for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2005, 10:16 PM
weight

I tried to respond to this earlier...website must have been down. So, I will try again...

I am not on weight watchers, but I do go to Curves. I have been trying to loose weight for several years. I am 50, and it is so hard to drop the lbs. Anyway, it has taken me 2 yrs to loose 25 lbs. I have not gained weight since surgery, but have noticed the *execess* around my waist and abdomen. I don't seem to have the energy that I had before, so I am taking it one day at a time. I am more concerned with healing right now. I have been pushing myself too much lately, so I have backed off. I am taking a break from Curves, trying to ge more rest, and will get back on schedule hopefully next week. All I can tell you is this surgery and recovery has kicked my tail and I can only do so much! Best of luck to you, and I hope your surgery and recovery go smoothly. I am feeling better every week, just tired this week!
Unread 06-30-2005, 06:06 AM
weight

Hi bethel,

I'm 8 weeks post-op. I have not used Weight Watchers, but had been working on losing weight prior to my surgery.

I was weighed in the hospital on both of my post-op days and had lost six pounds. But I sure couldn't see where the weight came off from! My belly was swollen and I was retaining quite a bit of fluid. At my six week check-up, I had only gained back one pound...and have since been increasing my walking and other activities.

I do not believe that the initial 6 to 8 week post-op recovery period is the time to be on a reduced calorie diet. Even though I've not been as physically active as I'd like, my body needs adequate nutrition in order to heal properly. It take lots of energy to heal even if I'm resting and being a good Princess. My body is not going to look svelte no matter what I do in the first few weeks, so I suggest that you concentrate on eating as well as you can without counting calories for a few weeks.

The first two weeks after surgery, I ate lots of home made soups. I kept cans of low-fat, reduced-sodium soup broth in my pantry and added fresh or frozen meats and veggies, and whole grain pastas or rice. My DH did a fine job of keeping me supplied with fresh produce.

I did start craving sweets, and treated myself to a scoop of ice cream, a small piece of chocolate, or a cookie. But, I found that munching on blueberries or peaches usually satisfied my sweet tooth!

I'm mildly anemic, so I've also focused on eating things like a bit of red meat and green leafy vegies often.

I've worked hard to eat things that will help my body heal and haven't worried about limiting my calories. I'm easing back into my excercise routine, for instance I'm walking at least 20 minutes each day. I still haven't returned to reduced calorie dieting, but my weight has remained steady. I'm hoping to start losing weight again by eating healthy and increasing my physical activity level. We'll see how it goes......

Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2005, 06:44 AM
weight

I'm 50 yrs old and have recently lost 55 pounds. My surgery will be done on July 6th. I eat a carb smart diet and for me since my appetite is under control I don't exspect to have much of a problem going off plan after surgery. I have heard that a lot of the sisters lose weight afterwards. Some don't but I'm going to try to picture myself amoung the losers. LOL

Good luck!

~Maple
Unread 06-30-2005, 08:16 AM
weight

Another one not on Weight Watchers but recently dropped 35 lbs in the past year or so. I have to admit, I fed my boredom while on my medical leave and gained 6 lbs. Started back to walking at night until the weather got too hot. It seems most folks around here have lost in their recovery time so I'm probably the exception to the rule.

Good luck and take care.

Lori
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:02 AM
weight

Not really, Lori...I lost almost 10 lbs after surgery, then slowly gained some of it back once my appetite settled in (about 7th or 8th wk). But, I am maintaining right now, which I am happy about. I weigh about the same as I did before surgery, maybe just a little less...but, I am a little concerned because I am not as active right now. Hopefully, I can get back into it soon. Right now, my main concern is getting "over the hump" so to speak. I feel really good this week since I have been resting and taking it easy. Hang in there, ladies! We have a ways to go, and we *are* going to make it!
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:36 AM
weight

I am not on Weight Watcher's anymore but I used to be and I do not see any reason you wouldn't be able to maintain your same eating patterns. Really the only thing you will not feel like doing is counting the points. You may try buying some of there frozen dinners and snacks or cooking ahead of time. I know the cabbage soup used to be a good soup but you might not want to use the cabbage because it can give you to much gas. (Sorry didn't mean to get to personal)... I think at first you probably aren't going to feel like eating that much anyway. I would talk with someone in your weight watchers group. You might find someone there who has maybe gone through a major surgery before and might know what the best way help is. If you have dedicated yourself to lose weight and you've been working hard at it don't get discouraged that you will gain weight back. That is usually our innerself wanting you to doubt yourself. I will praying for you, and I think you will be able to do just fine. Good luck

Cat
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:43 AM
weight

I'm not doing Weight Watchers, but I have been doing the low carb thing for a couple of years & lost 125 pounds. From last October to the date of my surgery, I gained 25 back, mostly, I think, because I was too tired (anemia) to exercise. During the first 5 weeks of my recovery, I didn't totally stick to the low-carb thing (my body was craving carbs) and gained a couple of pounds. But last week I went back to my regular low-carb diet, started walking more and lost the weight I gained in the last few weeks, plus a few more.

Honestly, I wasn't even worried about my weight until week 5 because I knew I wasn't ready to exercise beyond walking around the block. I was just concentrating on getting better.

Good luck to you!
Unread 06-30-2005, 11:01 AM
weight

Don't worry about your weight. You appetite will be supressed for quite a while after the surgery. By the time it returns, you will be able to move around more to compensate for it.

Just take it easy and concentrate on healing.

Drink as much water as you can, starting immediately after surgery.

Good luck, you will be fine. You will be better than new afterward
Unread 06-30-2005, 05:23 PM
weight

Thanks for all of your responses!! I guess I do need to "worry" more about healing than dieting post-op and just not let the cabin fever blues make me succumb to chocolate mania!

Good luck to all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register