Back pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-22-2010, 02:15 AM
Back pain

My recovery is going very well from Feb 15 LAVH with rectocle and cystocle repair. But I am having problems with lower back pain. Any advice or can tell me why ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2010, 02:34 AM
Re: Back pain

All the work your abdominal muscles used to do is being done mostly by your lower back muscles right now. This tends to lead to back pain. Plus, while we baby our bellies, we ignore our backs. This is totally normal. Heating pads work wonders on lower back aches.
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:20 AM

Hi there! I had back issues before the hysterectomy (2/23/10) but laying in bed all day is really aggravating tne problem. Can I do any passive stretches? Unfortunately I know that twists are out :-(
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2010, 01:18 PM

I've had more back pain than belly pain. I agree with the gals above saying our back muscles are compensating for not using our abs and our sitting and lying around so much. I also think it is caused by the way they had us positioned on the table during the surgery. The heating pad helps me and I'm taking ibuprofen. I'm also using alot of pillows to sit on and behind my back. Sometimes one of those donut pillows helps and other times it doesn't. Hopefully, we'll feel stronger soon. And gentle back rubs feel great!! Take care ~~ StarryNite
Unread 02-26-2010, 01:24 PM

I agree w/ the others also. Heating pad is a life saver. BUT, on the other hand, while I do have issues w/ my back, never this bad. I bent over to get something, and my back went out, after MRI pinched nerve. I have never had this pain before surgery, so IMHO, I think alot of it is due to how they position us during surgery. I was in that weird posistion for five hours, so that may have something to do w/ it. Valerian root works really well also. You can find it in the vitamin isle at walmart or any big store. It's a natural sleep and muscle relaxer, but don't make you goofy. I would eat with it, smells and taste horrible. Back pain is awful, and I hope you get feeling better soon.
Unread 02-26-2010, 07:45 PM

Hi,
I'm just a couple of days out, but mine started in my room I spent the night after surgery. I told the nurse my buttocks were tingling/numb and when I got up the first time back pain started.

I told the nurse that interviewed me at pre-op before surgery (at her prompting) of the need for special treatment for my back due to prior disc herniation and saw her write it in the special considerations area of (at least) the page she was writing on. She even asked what discs had herniated!

That's what makes me think it's the position they have you in for surgery that aggravates or causes the pain.

Sorry I don't have any advice, but I'm just trying to walk a lot, and keep holding my abdomen in as best I can. And remember, don't keep a heating pad on for more than 10-15 min at a time or it can make things worse.

Good luck sisters~
Unread 03-01-2010, 09:31 PM

I had a my hysterectomy on January 22 because I had fibroids. I had horrible lower back pain for about 3 1/2 weeks after surgery. My doctor prescribed Flexeril. Flexeril is really strong, and it made me very sleepy, but I took it. After about three days, the pain had subsided substantially, and now, at 5 weeks post-op, it's completely gone. I think that the Flexeril, along with a heating pad on my back worked. I still walked every day, even with the back pain. But as soon as I got home, I would rest on the couch with a heating pad. I did notice that the back pain seemed to get worse after a bowel movement. My doctor thinks that the back pain is muscle spasms, and that's what it felt like. Ibuprofen made the pain go away if I took 600 mgs every six hours. But once I stopped taking it, the pain would come right back. That's why she switched me to the Flexeril. And you definitely have to eat something with Flexeril because it will make you nauseous. My doctor did have me come in and do a blood and urine test to rule out infections.
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:09 AM

I think all the good advice has been said, HUGS and hope you get ride of the pain fast.

God Bless
Unread 03-02-2010, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the tips! I forgot about valerian...that helps. I also put Salon Pas on my back and am using an S-I belt. Bonus: It holds my abdomen steady too! I got Lidoderm patches to put on my belly and it is really hlping the abdominal pain.
Hang in there, all. Speedy recoveriess for all of us!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register