Anyone else looking forward to procedure? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else looking forward to procedure? Anyone else looking forward to procedure?

Unread 07-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Aus Chic

Why shouldn't we be happy we are going to feel better than before surgery. Sure there are those out there with cancer as the reason to get the hysterectomy, and i feel for them and what they are going through. But there are also women out there that are limited greatly to what they can and cant do during their period because of the bad pain and blood flow that they dont have a life anyway. So getting this operation (though major that it is) will give them their life back. Why shouldnt you feel happy for those people. I was at the point i was wearing depends because of the blood clots and heavy flow that i had each period that i needed front and back protection that pads didnt allow. Try wearing a diaper for 7-10 days and having PMS so bad you hated being around yourself. Yes our bodies will go through changes each person is different some will be good some will be not so good but for most of us the end result will be a pain free diaper free life that we can live normally again. So girls as they say Dont worry be happy!!!!!!!
Tango
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Anyone else looking forward to procedure?

Hi Herbs and Veggies, Best of luck to you on the 12th. I totally agree with you about being excited about the surgery. I just recently had the TVT surgery and really looked forward to and enjoyed my week at home. I was also very excited to get this taken care of because I wanted my life back. That stress incontinence isn't any fun to deal with. Best of luck and take good care! Melanie
Unread 07-06-2005, 10:29 AM

It is right to encourage each other to find and enjoy any "silver linings" in the nuisances of life, whether those nuisances are small, medium-sized or monumental.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2005, 10:43 AM

I was definitely "looking forward" to the surgery. Not because of the time off (in fact I can't wait to go back to work), but just to get this thing over with and get on with my life again.

My condition wasn't life-threatening at all, just huge but asymptomatic fibroids. But it became obvious that the things weren't going to go away, and it's not possible to keep these huge and growing fibroids. I hated thinking about it and having this "Big Decision" hanging over me. Once I made the decision to have the surgery, I scheduled it as quickly as possible, and was definitely looking forward to getting it over with!

Judy
Unread 07-06-2005, 11:00 AM

I think that coming to grips with having this surgery is very stressful. Sometimes the only way to deal with the emotions is to think of all the positives that it will bring to your life. No more pain, no more periods, no more fear of getting pregnant.......for those who work full time jobs, yes, you could think positively about having time off. I know that when my husband (who is vice president of his company and works the hours of three men) recently had surgery.......he was excited about the several hours of complete sleep. Thinking of this kept him from dwelling on the negatives of the surgery.
SO......just because someone is viewing the time off as a positive, does not mean that they have decided to undergo this surgery for sleeps sake or that they are making light of the surgery. I am having a tummy tuck following my hysterectomy. Thinking of all the positives of the tummy tuck are making the thoughts of my hysterectomy, which I have dreaded and put off for over 10 years, more bearable. Chickypoo
Unread 07-06-2005, 11:25 AM

I joined recently and I am feeling may way around this site. So far, it's great. I'm scheduled for a TAH/BSO on August 1. I'm nervous and scared, but more importantly, I want my life back! I've been dealing with heavy periods, pain and fibroids for 12 years. I've exhausted all other methods and this is where I am. I'm worried since I'll have to deal with hormone replacement and what changes I'm in store for. I have a wonderful partner who has been totally understanding. He's 9 years younger than me - I'm 48. I'm worried he'll leave me for a younger woman with a uterus, etc. He tells me I'm nuts, but of course I don't listen. I'm going to continue reading on this site and hopefully by the time 8/1 comes, I will not be a nervous wreck. Thanks.
Unread 07-06-2005, 12:58 PM

I am playing phone tag with my doc to let her know that I have decided on the surgery. I have learned a lot here while I am waiting to be scheduled.
Unread 07-06-2005, 04:47 PM

Auschick, I am glad you do not have cancer. With absolute respect for your feelings, I just want to note that this surgery is not optional for me. I have precancerous cells that would be likely become life threatening if I did nothing. (I'm hoping and believing there is no actual cancer, but have had seriously bad pap smears for nearly a year.)

My comments are not at all flip; it's just that it seems many of us are worried and afraid much of the time, and I wondered if anyone actually shares my thoughts about the positive part of this ordeal.

To everyone else--I'm confident you will not let my "glass is half full" outlook influence you to enter into a surgery that is not needed.
Unread 07-06-2005, 04:49 PM

What bothers me is that many women have the misconception that they will 'get their life back'. Hopefully you will feel exactly the same as before surgery with no changes in your orgasm and libido, no depression and if you are having your ovaries removed no problems with surgical menopause.

While remaining positive is good, I am not arguing with that, however, there needs to be a balance with the positive and not to overlook the potential problems that may arise after the surgery. Many women have a huge shock after the surgery and find that things are not the same as pre surgery, yes they don't have the bleeding or pain anymore, however, they now have new problems to deal with.

Knowledge is power, that includes making yourself aware of the potential problems you could face after this surgery and coming to terms with the fact it may happen to you, not turn a blind eye to them.

That is why on my posts I am always saying get a second/third opinion, try a great new device called the Mirena intra-uterine coil for bleeding and endo problems.

At the end of the day, you all have to live your life after surgery no matter what it brings and I just hope that you are all aware of the side effects.
Unread 07-06-2005, 05:00 PM

Knowledge of the potential risks and consequences is definitely of critical importance. I think that's why this site has 72,000 members--tens of thousands of women over the years have decided to register here so they can know all the pros and cons.

Puggy (Melanie)--thank you for your well wishes! And thanks to all for the supportive comments and encouragement. I wish each one of you a smooth recovery, and if the decision is not yet made, I pray you will have the wisdom and courage you need to do what is right for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register