36 hours of clear liquids pre-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

36 hours of clear liquids pre-op? 36 hours of clear liquids pre-op?

Unread 06-03-2010, 08:26 AM
36 hours of clear liquids pre-op?

Hi There, Newbie here, scheduled for outpatient daVinci hysterectomy tomorrow (!) -sorry I don't know the abbreviations yet.
I am now almost 12 hours into a 36-hour clear liquid diet...has anyone else had to stop eating this far ahead of surgery?
I'm not extremely nervous about the surgery (yet), but going without solid food this long is tough...I love my food!
Thanks. Just curious to see if I'm the only one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Re: 36 hours of clear liquids pre-op?

I was also on a "liquid only" diet pre-op, but that was by choice and at the recommendation of my naturopathic doctor. I kept my energy up by mixing whey protein powder with vegetable juice - it carried me well into the surgery and then it was even great to drink after (easy to digest when I didn't feel much like eating real food). I also ate vegetable soup that was mostly broth and a few veggies, so maybe that's a little more than just liquids.

Good luck with your surgery!

s.
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:01 AM

Welcome to HysterSisters! We're so glad you joined us!

I didn't have to do a bowel prep or liquid diet so I don't have any words of wisdom for you, but I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

You can find a list of commonly used abbreviations here. You can also find them by clicking on 'Quick Links' at the top of the page in the purple bar and scrolling down the drop down menu to 'Abbreviations'.

Best wishes and hang in there!

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2010, 10:50 AM

Yes, I had that one too and I was so weak that my knees wobbled on the way to surgery. You just have to get it done because my Dr. said they would "run" my bowel while in surgery to check for lumps and it had to be pristine as I could get it for that to be affective. It was rough but I felt it was for a good reason.
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:05 AM

I'm scheduled for surgery as well tomorrow, but I didn't have to do the clear liquid diet. I just had a normal breakfast and lunch, but by choice I'm going to just have soup for dinner. I do unfortunately have to do a fleet enema tonight--yuck! A few months ago however, I did have to do the clear liqid diet and full bowel prep for a colonoscopy, so I feel your pain--it's not a pleasant experience. Drink lots of water before and after surgery--it will help in your recovery. I'll see you in the post op forum after tomorrow! Best of luck and speedy recovery to you!
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:16 AM

Yes, I had to do the same thing for my DaVinci Hysterectomy. It was not that bad. It actually felt good to be cleansed. It's better to go into the surgery empty.
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:09 PM

I had to do the liquid diet and was given no real warning. Luckily I ate a huge breakfast the morning of my pre-op because when I got to the hospital the nurse informed me that I was officially on my clear liquid diet! I couldn't even eat lunch. My nickname is the Ultimate Carnivore. That should pretty much sum up how traumatic I thought the whole experience would be.

Turns out it wasn't so bad. I could eat broth, which went a LONG way to taking the insult out of the injury. I had chicken broth for dinner and for breakfast the morning of the surgery. I also had a ton of juice and green jello. I could have clear liquids until noon the day of my surgery... and between the broth and the jello and the juice, I was fine. Of course, post-op the broth was pretty old by then and the smell of it made me nauseous, but take it one step at a time. Get your jello. They also said I could eat popsicles. Make sure there are no color restrictions on the jello and popsicles (they told me no red coloring).
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:43 PM

I also am scheduled for the Da Vinci procedure tomorrow. I am on the clear liquid diet all day today, and can't have anything after midnight tonight, and am doing a full bowel prep today. Good luck for tomorrow & I'll see you here after.
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:48 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I just found out my surgery was moved up 2 hours earlier so I'm feeling better about that, at least!
Good luck to all my June 4th Sisters - see you after!!
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:51 PM

Yay!!! Best wishes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register