Blast from the past | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blast from the past Blast from the past

Unread 08-19-2005, 01:24 AM
Blast from the past

Girls, just to add my little bit. I am 6 weeks post-op TAH/BSO and TVT. 1-2 hot flashes at night, some depression and brain-fog, the usual stuff but not crippling. I'm on the herbs and an array of vitamins which are helping somewhat. The following may surprise you as much as it did me. I was chatting to my favourite aunt (81 years young) who had the TAH/BSO 30plus ( yes, that's right) years ago. Get this. Her doctor was female, and told her, "Now my dear, you will sometimes get the weepies, because you have lost your womanhood". (!!!)Auntie agreed that she did get the 'weepies' but eventually they went away and she just 'got on with it'. At this point I was very intrigued, so I asked, 'How did you get on with hot flashes?' ( Are you ready for this? ) She said" What's a hot flash?" I described it. Her response, 'No, never had one of those". At this stage I am picking myself up off the floor. No mention was ever made to her of hormone replacement (which was probably not uncommon then, my mother did not have it either). Auntie smoked for a good many years but gave up a number of years ago. She enjoys a fine whiskey and good wine, although these days only a few times a week instead of daily in the past. Apart from recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetes she is very healthy. No osteoporosis or heart disease or stroke. She walks everywhere, has never driven a car, goes to church and has never been married or had kids.
So if, like me, you can't take the HRT, DON"T PANIC!! this is survivable. In fact, I hope I look as good as she does when I'm 80. Just had to pass this on. I know we have all that the 21st century technology can provide us but sometimes you just have to wonder. Has anybody else had the opportunity to find out the experiences of our elderly sisters?
Best wishes to all,
Chris from OZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2005, 04:20 AM
Blast from the past

My mom is nearly 84 years old, went through natural menopause and never had a hot flash. I, on the other hand, am still having hot flashes 6 years post op. Go figure.
Unread 08-19-2005, 07:27 AM
Blast from the past

My mom had her hysterctomy at 48 just like myself. She took HRT for a year and then stopped because she couldn't tolerate it (just like myself). She had hot flashes for 10 years and was very moody although she claims she wasn't. None of my aunts did the HRT either. I was having hot flashes a couple of years ago before I had the BSO and then they stopped. Since I have been off the HRT I am feeling so much better and not one hot flash! I take Wellbutrin to control my mood swings and anxiety because, unlike my stay-at-home mom, I do have to go out into the world and play nice with others
The only thing we do seem to have in common is the vaginal dryness. I hope mine keeps going so smoothly off the hormones! Take Care. Vickey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Blast from the past

I wonder if our envirionment and food we eat are affecting our hormonal balance in a negative way like this? I have read that some things we eat and are exposed to add estrogens to our body ,thus causing us to be dominant. Hot flashes don't necessarily mean lack of hormones, it can mean hormones not balanced. I have read here on the boards that some women who have taken hrt for some time will start having hot flashes, but have signs of dominance, this says it is more about imbalance and possible with other hormones in the body.

I don't remember my grandmother having hot flashes or my great aunts. My mom had a hyst and took hrt so I will never know with her.

There is a lot we need to know about our hormones and how they work for us. I really thought by the time I reached my age I am at, this would have been figured out by now. What have they been doing all these years???

I hope they can figure out what we can do about our hormones by the time my DD's reach mid-age.

s
Unread 08-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Blast from the past

There's your answer shes never been married! Ha-Ha! My mother and grandmother never seemed to have a problem. Grandmother 98 says it's all this fake man made stuff that causing the problems along with stress. She talking about food. It's just been a week since my LAVH/BSO so I'm just waiting.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register