vaginal hysterectomy date for jan 28th...complicated situation..please help!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal hysterectomy date for jan 28th...complicated situation..please help!!! vaginal hysterectomy date for jan 28th...complicated situation..please help!!!

Unread 01-14-2015, 06:26 AM
vaginal hysterectomy date for jan 28th...complicated situation..please help!!!

ynendine
(female)

vaginal hysterectomy on 1/28..very nervous..need advice please
This is such bad timing...my husband is having a bladder and prostrate and nodes feb 4th..due to high grade bladder cancer and I just got diagnosed with a prolapse that requires vsg hysterectomy Jan 28..Dr tried pessarys to hold me off but nothing worked..I will HV 12 days to be well enough to go to hospital fr his major surg...I need all the advice on how to prepare my self fr speedy recovery and what I should buy now to prepare myself for home after my surg...we don't HV much help..kids work and others don't live close..what products do I need fr myself at home and how soon before I can go back to work? I am on my feet all day 6 to 8 hours I can get disability but really can't afford it due to my husband going out..he is self employed and cannot get disability..this is awful!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Re: vaginal hysterectomy date for jan 28th...complicated situation..please help!!!

I'm so sorry that you're in such a difficult situation. The best advice I have is to try to keep a positive attitude, and get up and walking asap. I was luckily able to walk fairly comfortably after my surgery, and my dr encouraged me to be up to 1 mile by the end of the first week. If you need to, start by taking several short walks and then work up to the longer ones. For me, staying active every day of my recovery helped me to gain my stamina back pretty quickly. Eat healthy now and after the surgery. I was fine to go to the hospital at less than 12 days, in fact, I went to help a friend who had cancer at a hospital an hour away in my first week. As far as work, check with your dr. Standing isn't so bad if you can sit down from time to time and if you don't have to exert yourself or lift heavy things. I had TAH and went back at 3 weeks. I work at the airport and my job requires LOTS of walking, along with a mixture of sitting and standing. I just wore comfortable clothes and I was ok. Wishing both you and your husband get through this well. Keep us posted.
Unread 01-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Re: vaginal hysterectomy date for jan 28th...complicated situation..please help!!!

I would see if you can get on a list in case they have a cancellation for an earlier date.

Have all laundry done up, shop for two weeks of groceries if you can, if you do the bill paying, have them paid. Prepare your "nest", the place you will be comfortable with books, drinks, snacks, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2015, 08:18 PM

Hi ynendine to HysterSisters!

I am so sorry your are dealing with so much. What type of surgery are you having? Can it be put off until your DH has recovered from his surgery? Can it be advanced?

Everyone's recovery is different, some are faster than others. And it is very hard to predict how yours will be until you are there. I am a speed walker. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and lost both ovaries and tubes (TAH BSO), and I could not have walked one mile after the first week. I was walking the next day, of course, but that distance for me took much longer.

Keep in mind you will have lifting restrictions - probably 10 lbs for six weeks. If you are on your feet that long, you may be out of work for 4 weeks. It is very hard to say. Your doctor may be able to give you some idea depending on your work, and may be able to give a note to you for work so you can have a longer leave of absence.

For your recovery, can neighbors help? Do you belong to a church? Here are some articles that may help you prepare. Be sure to click on the related articles on the right hand side:
Preparing for Hysterectomy Recovery | What Will I Need?
Living Alone and Recovering from Hysterectomy

Some really important items are
meals in the freezer
getting all the supplies you will need ahead of time
getting a recovery corner ready for yourself with pillows and blankets
super clean your house

Know that you are not alone in this. We are here for you.

You are in a very unique situ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register