Advantages and disadvantages of keeping cervix? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advantages and disadvantages of keeping cervix? Advantages and disadvantages of keeping cervix?

Unread 03-15-2001, 11:29 AM
Advantages and disadvantages of keeping cervix?

Dear Kimmie,

If you have no history of cervical cancer in your family, and you have always had normal pap smears, you may be a good candidate to keep the cervix.

If you keep the cervix AND the ovaries (one or both), you may experience mini-periods, which is equivalent to spotting every month. Since the uterus is gone (the source of cramping), I would assume you won't have cramps.

There are many opinions about the importance of the cervix to a woman's sexual response.

There are also many opinions about the cervix's role in providing pelvic support.

Keep asking questions...

Sending cyberhugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2001, 12:10 PM
kept mine

I kept my cervex i have had no ab normal paps. I kept my cervex becouse i have the deep o's and was afraid of not having then. The o's are the same as before and i have had no minni peroids as some people talk about, my sex drive is the same and the lube. part is still the same. If any one wants to talk more about this feel free to IM me or E-mail ingalls@urx.com I will be in the chat room from 6-8 pm pac time or 8-10 hyster sis time
Hope this helpes some of you
Unread 03-15-2001, 12:41 PM

I kept my cervix and am very satisfied with my decision...I obsessed about it and changed my mind several times before the surgery, but since I had no previous abnormal pap smears and no family history of cervical cancer, I feel it was the best choice for me. My GYN said that he cauterized the tissue before sewing it shut, to prevent any remaining endometrial tissue from bleeding in the future...so far (14 weeks post op), I haven't had the slightest bit of spotting...this is so wonderful..I still can't believe it is true! I was also worried about bladder support since the uterus and bladder are so close together. As far as s*x....it is better than ever, since there are no more awful fibroids to cause pain...but like everyone else has pointed out, it is a very personal decision, and we are all different....sounds like you are doing your homework...good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2001, 01:33 PM

Before I post, let me say that my response here is based on what I've read here on the boards in the nearly two years that I've been here and on research that other hostesses and I have done. Having said that, I'll do my best to answer this question.

Generally you need both a cervix and an ovary to cause these 'mini' periods. Theoretically, steady HRT (that is if you don't keep any ovaries) would cause edometrial overgrowth (cancer risk) and cycling HRT would cause mini-periods. There may be women who have had problems from steady HRT and endometrial remnants, but I don't think that it's enough to base a decision on. You will, however, need ongoing paps, but as several posters noted, you will have to keep up with them every few years anyway, to watch for vaginal cancer.

The women who have had adenomyosis and bleed even after menopause are probably cycling their HRT. Otherwise, it's extremely rare to bleed.

As Twyla says, there are many opinions as to the cervix's role in providing pelvic support. If tendons are there, used and up to the job, then that reconstructed pelvic support should work as well as cervical. HRT probably helps to keep these tissues nourished and strong. Women without HRT having other vaginal and/or bladder symptoms of deficiency might also be at a higher risk of prolapse due to tissue weakening.

Kimmie, the cramping and mini periods are probably comparable to ovulation or vaginal cramping. They wouldn't have the muscle strength from uterine cramping from heavy bleeding. It shouldn't be a problem unless your level of anxiety and lack of tolerance for any pain make it too unpalatable a
prospect.

What I'm trying to say is this. Keeping a cervix can cause mini-periods with natural ovulataion or cycled HRT. Uncycled HRT can raise the risk of endometrial overgrowth/cancer, but the incidence is probably low, and should be caught with regular pap smears. HRT may be necessary for pelvic floor strength with or without a cervix. Any pelvic floor reconstruction is only as good as your surgeon's capabilities and the quality of the tissues he has to work with.
Unread 03-16-2001, 02:35 PM

I was supposed to have mine removed but it was very tough and stuck to my bladder, so they left a "collar" of it, just enough that it can be seen with the speculum in. This was to minimize posibility of damage to the bladder trying to get it unstuck. But nobody said anything about mini-periods, and if I have that I will be EXTREMELY disappointed, at 51, that they didn't carefully take the chance with the separation. Would be interested in hearing from more sisters who have the cervix, no oos.
Unread 03-16-2001, 02:50 PM
To furgirlsmom

Don't worry. If you had both ovaries removed, you shouldn't have any mini-periods.
Unread 03-16-2001, 03:21 PM

I was supposed to have a Subtotal Hysterectomy. I was surprised when I woke up and found my cervix was gone but it really didn't bother me. my last few paps were abnormal and the last one he ended up doing a colposcopy with Biopsy and I didn't have those results when I went into surgery. I was in Lala land before I made it into OR. My doc didn't want to take the cervix because I had such good pelvic support but the colposcopy said TAKE ME TAKE ME. My Doc assures me that I shouldn't have any trouble with lube or O's and if I do there are things to help me out with that. He hasn't told me anything that hasn't happened. I am glad I have a good 5-6 weeks to find out LOL
Dremmie
TAH 3/6/01
I still feel rotten and can't bring myself to tell my story just yet. however the waiting is the hardest part and I finally feel like I'm going to make it
Unread 03-16-2001, 05:47 PM
To keep the cervix or not. That is the question.

Well Kimmie, here's a story for you.

When I went for my pre-op appt with my Dr. he never once mentioned removing my cervix. In fact I didn't think to ask. All I knew was that both ovaries, tubes and uterus would be removed. All he said was after the surgery that everything went fine, etc., etc.

I kept having these strange pains and couldn't understand why he told me he had to pull on the ligaments and tendons inside to help support the vaginal vault. I went to this website (which has been a life saver) and saw other women talking about their cervix being removed and the pains they were having were exactly like mine. I immediately called the Dr. office and to my surprise the Dr. not the nurse called back. They knew I was pretty upset when I asked the question was my cervix removed--no need in involving the nurse in that discussion. WELL, two weeks after my surgery I find out that indeed my cervix had been removed. According to him, when they do TVH the only way to remove the uterus was to remove the cervix. Also I had had an abnormal pap in Oct. so it was a good thing for that.

Although I was fine with not having a cervix I was shocked to find out that I never knew it had been removed. (Like you, I never wanted to be in anymore pain from the endo and if I wasn't going to have anything else in there, why not the cervix too.)

To be totally honest with you, I think in the beginning a lot of the pains I was having was the muscles contracting and everything dissolving inside. (When I called the nurse to begin with, she scared me half to death telling me to go to the ER that I might have kidney stones. Not something you want to tell a hormonal 28 yr old with 3 small kids who was 2 hours away from her Dr. office!!! You don't handle that kind of news very well. Never went to the hospital. Got reassurance from the women here and gave it some time. All was well!!) Now that I'm almost 8 weeks post op I have to say I feel wonderful. No problems with lubrication needed either. (Found that out just RECENTLY!!!)

Good Luck to you on your surgery. Your decision to remove your cervix is one you need to decide and discuss your options thoroughly with your DR.

See ya in post op!!!!
Unread 03-16-2001, 07:19 PM
Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Decisions are the life's choice we all make and have to live with. I had my surgery last Dec. 2000. #1) I do not regret my decision for have it done as I had endo. #2) I do not regret my decision for having my cervix removed. #3) I am quite pleased that I now longer have any periods. #4) I do not have to worry about the endo. at this time. #5) I don't have to risk of giving into cervical cancer (though I personally feel I am not at risk). #6) I do have a wonderful sex life with my DH. #7) Pain free sex, YES!

So what can I say? I am glad it is done and over with. That I can live with. What ever you do decide, keep a positive outlook and go from there. You can't dread on "what if" for the rest of your life. You need to be positive with your decision and keep positive with what choice you make and live with it.

What ever you do, only you can decide that yourself. Only you can learn from others but you are not "the others" so... Good luck and I do hope all works out for you. Don't let things get you down or be more confused. You are you and you have to be happy with you.

Hugs, Dale
Unread 03-16-2001, 07:34 PM

I want to be Dale! I'm so glad your feeling so wonderful. I am having a positive attitude that I will feel the same way one day soon

Dremmie
TAH 3/6/01

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register