Pre-Op Instructions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Instructions Pre-Op Instructions

Unread 03-17-2001, 09:20 PM
Pre-Op Instructions

Just got my pre-op packet. What a relief! I was expecting all kinds of icky instructions about enemas, douches, dietary, etc. There's basically nothing. I have my pre-op physical on April 6, lab work April 7, and surgery April 9.

I wasn't given a time to check in, just that surgery scheduling will call on April 6 with the time for Monday. No Rx or OTC anti-inflammatory meds such as aspirin, Advil. Aleve, Motrin, etc. as well as no herbal supplements such as St. John's Wort and Vitamin E for 2 weeks prior to surgery.

There was also no scheduled appt. for anesthesiologist which totally surprised me. They do have a walk-in clinic in the afternoons M-F. I'm wondering what good that is because they won't have my chart to note anything in!

I wrote all this great big list of things to do for the rest of the month then came down with a bug and feel like a truck ran over me and am accomplishing nothing! Moan and groan.
Thanks for listening!
Miranda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2001, 09:25 PM
Pre-Op Instructions

I've never met my anesthesiologist until the morning of my surgeries. They have always popped into pre-op to discuss any past problems, then disappeared, then come back to help wheel me into OR. I think it just depends on the hospital.

If you look a few pages in, there is a good thread about bowel prep. Might be something to bring up with Dr at pre-op.
Best of luck!
Unread 03-17-2001, 09:33 PM
Pre-Op Instructions

I didn't meet my anesth. when I had breast reduction surgery but I did have an appt. in anesth. dept. to discuss what I'd have and let me ask questions. Now I'm told unless one has health problems that might interfere they don't give you an appt. That's all well and good but what if I don't want an epidural or regional? Yikes! Another question and another phone call.

Thanks for your response!
Miranda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2001, 11:05 PM
Pre-Op Instructions

I had my pre-admission testing at the hospital about a week prior to surgery. After blood work, EKG, a nurse took me into her office for questions, concerns, and then the anesthesiologist? came in to talk to me. I wasn't given any choice, however. He told me I would have a General and explained why they thought it was best.

Unread 03-18-2001, 04:29 AM
Anesthesiologist

Usually you don't meet the anesthesiologist ahead unless you have a special need, and then you need to push to schedule it yourself, or your doctor might request it. You will see the anesthesiologist right before surgery, I am sure.

Regarding all that icky stuff, they might discuss that with you when you go in for your pre-op exam. That's a good time to ask, anyway.
Unread 03-18-2001, 04:38 AM
Pre-Op Instructions

At my pre-op at the hospital I was given a routing slip LOL I had lab work, EKG, Talked with the anesthiologist He was one of 6 on staff and said he may not be the one but they all work about the same and at least I had all my questions answered. This is standard at my hospital. I didn't have an appt time but they did call someone for me before I left. I'm sure if you asked the nurse who will be taking your info at pre-op, she will be able to arrange for you to talk to someone from that Dept. I don't think I would have wanted to wait until the day of surgery to know what was going to happen.

Best Wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery!

Dremmie
TAH 3/6/01 and finally feeling like a person again!
Unread 03-18-2001, 01:13 PM
Pre-Op Instructions

I was supposed to meet my anesth. at pre-op appt. but they were busy. However, he did come around the morning before surgery and talked with me. I had a small list of questions for him...which were all answered.
Unread 03-18-2001, 02:46 PM
Anesthesiologist

My anesthesiologist called me at home the night before my surgery--in the middle of my bowel prep!

Fortunately, he caught me between "waves" and I let him know I might disappear suddenly. He answered my questions and we settled my medication sensitivies, which are often misrecorded (which was why he called; my file is a mess). Type of anesthesia wasn't an issue for me--general all the way.

I got a call from a nurse at the hospital earlier in the evening for the same purpose--also between "waves". Lucky!
Unread 03-18-2001, 03:57 PM
Pre-Op Instructions

Hi Miranda:

I had the same experience as Denise. My anestheologist called me the night before my surgery and we talked for about 10 minutes. He answered all my questions, or at least the ones I could think of at the time. I then saw him the next morning and he gave me the most wonderful drug ever. I don't know what it was but I was out before I ever got to the elevator. In fact, I can barely remember saying good-bye to my DH and DD's. My husband said the doc pushed a little button about the time they wheeled me out of my prep room and whatever it was really knocked me out.
Unread 03-18-2001, 04:49 PM
Pre-Op Instructions

Miranda -

I don't get to talk to my anesthesiologist either. Told my DD that I wanted a general he said ok, and that I'd first see the anesthesiologist in surgery, right before he put me out.

Same thing happened in July when I had a lap and everything worked out fine for me.

Good luck

Suzanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register