Sleeping positions????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sleeping positions????? Sleeping positions?????

Unread 08-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Sleeping positions?????

I am 3 weeks post op and I have always slept on my stomach which is not even an option these days. I had a TAH on July 12th. I have been sleeping (or trying to sleep) on my back, propped up on pillows but am finding it very uncomfortable. I also have a part of my incision that has opened to drain some infection on my right side so am quite tender. Any suggestions on sleeping positions that might help??? I would give anything to sleep on my side or at least not wake up on my back feeling really stiff and sore. It is starting to really bother my hips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Sleeping positions?????

Heading to bed in a bit and really hoping to get some response and hopefully get a good night sleep tonight. Thank you to everyone that makes this site possible. It has been a lifesaver at times.
Unread 08-04-2005, 02:08 AM
Sleeping positions?????

I know what you mean, I'm a stomach sleeper myself. The most comfortable position for me right now is on my back with 2 huge pillows under my knees. Keeping my knees up helps take some of the pressure off my lower back/tailbone. I can't wait to sleep like I used to!

39 yo, TAH + LSO 6/24/05
4 years of uncontrollable bleeding/clotting & one cyst-infested ovary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2005, 04:25 AM
Sleeping positions?????

I either sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees, or on my stomach. I sleep so much better on my stomach that even in the early days the pain didn't stop me.
Unread 08-04-2005, 04:52 AM
Sleeping positions?????

Wildrose, do you have a tummy pillow? Before my surgery I found one that is squishy and very soft. My tummy wasn't nearly as tender because I had a TVH, but I found it very helpful the first few days.

Any pillow could help. Try putting it against your tummy while on your back, then gently roll sideways and wedge it in so that you have complete support of your tummy. If you have someone there to help, maybe they can even slip additional pillows in around your tummy and knees.

I always sleep on my side, and this made it possible for me to do so at the beginning when my stomache was tender. I hope this helps, and hope very much that you will be able to sart getting some good rest.
Unread 08-04-2005, 07:34 AM
Sleeping positions?????

I also have this problem, but have found out I can at least sleep on my side. I sleep on the couch because it is easier to get up and down. I go no where without my travel size pillow. I lay on my side and prop my belly on top of the travel pillow. This takes the preasure off the incision.
Unread 08-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Sleeping positions?????

Sounds like most of us did the exact same things!

When I *had* to sleep on my back, I had pillows on both sides of me, and pillows under my knees to relieve the pressure on my lower back.

Then, I decided I just could not sleep that way anymore...so, I did the pillow thing on my side, with my belly propped up on the pillow. It was great, and didn't hurt. Pillows were a godsend for me...I had them everywhere, including in my car!

Good luck and I hope you will be able to get some
Unread 08-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Sleeping positions?????

I can relate completely to you, wildrose. I'm also a stomach sleeper, and I also had drainage from my incision due to an infection (mine drained for four weeks, yuck!). Once I got home from the hospital, I could not even consider sleeping in my bed, it just was not comfortable at all. I slept in a recliner for nearly five weeks. For whatever reason I had absolutely no trouble sleeping on my back in the recliner (I'm guessing it's because it's normal to be on your back in a recliner, but not while sleeping in bed). After 5 weeks in the recliner, I missed my own bed SO much I decided to give it another try. I laid on my stomach, VERY carefully, and was surprised I could actually do it. It wasn't easy to get there, and moving was still difficult, but i did it. I've been in my bed ever since, and it gets a bit easier every night. I long for the day when it's like it used to be. Hopefully, that day will come very soon! Best of luck to you in your recovery, and I hope you are able to get some good sleep soon, your body needs it. Feel free to private message me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sue
Unread 08-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Sleeping positions?????

The pillows between the knees really helps, too. It takes alot of pressure off. I also put a folded up blanket under my tummy when I go to the side.
Unread 08-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Sleeping positions?????

I use the pillows under my knees too, but last week I bought a body pillow. It's about 5 feet long and has helped a lot when I sleep to the side. I rest my head on one end and place it between my knees. You can buy them at any major bedding store like Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things for $20. I wish I had it sooner in my recovery, but I'll likely use it in the future cause it's great for watching TV.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register