10 days post-op and now a fever? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 days post-op and now a fever? 10 days post-op and now a fever?

Unread 01-06-2007, 07:30 PM
10 days post-op and now a fever?

Anyone else experience a slight fever after 10-days post op or later? I have been relatively fine, except for some soreness and being tired, but beginning last night, I had a fever of 100.5 and then I got it down to 99.8, and it was normal all day today and then went back up to 99.9. Tylenol seems to bring it down, but once it wears off, it creeps back up again. My post-op instructions said to call if I get a fever of 101 or greater, which it's not, but of course, it's the weekend and my dr.'s office is closed until Monday....

Anyone else experience this? What could cause it this far out? An infection? Thanks for any insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2007, 07:46 PM

Ok, remember just 10 days ago somebody had you spread open and cut on you... Don't panic at all if you feel "ok" but call your doc. It's what we pay them the big bucks for Somewhere we've all been taught not to "bother" our doc's, but it's really ok to do so. Especially after what you have been through, if nothing else it will put your mind at ease. Trust me, I know how much that is worth.
Hang in there sweetie, it'll get better!
Unread 01-06-2007, 07:49 PM

Yep, I had a fever with the same pattern as you 10 days post op. After the 3rd day of it, I came down with severe UTI (urniary tract infection) symptoms. I went on antibiotics and the symptoms and fever were gone the next day. Do you have any urinary tract symptoms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2007, 07:55 PM

I had it also and it would stay around 100.5. I called the Dr and he had me come iin to be checked--everything checked out ok--but he put me on a round of antibiotics just to be sure--Levequin. After about day 21 the fever was gone. You should call your doctor it is better to be safe.
Unread 01-06-2007, 08:16 PM

Thanks -- no other UTI symptoms that I know of (I guess I would know -- if I've ever had one, it's been a LONG time ago)....I feel OK otherwise, considering what my body went through 10 days ago....of course, if it were over 101, I'd be calling the on-call doc. But, I'm going to keep an eye on it through tomorrow and call Monday A.M. if the pattern continues. Ugh...I just want to be NORMAL again! I'm not good at being out of commission! I'm used to going 100 mph all the time!

Thanks for the feedback, sisters!
Unread 01-06-2007, 09:46 PM

I had a fever for about 2 weeks after my surgery. The doctor said to take tylenol for the fever and not to worry about it unless it got up above 101. He said it was from the body absorbing the old blood from the surgery ( what they didnt get suctioned out ) and from being honkerblonked off at all the stitches you have inside.
Unread 01-06-2007, 09:52 PM

Makes sense....I'll call Monday and see what she says...she'll either say don't worry about it unless it's over 101, or she'll have me come in to be checked out and I might get an antibiotic. Either way would be OK, but it helps to know other sisters have experienced this! I thought was having "warm" flashes until I decided to take my temp to be sure!
Unread 01-07-2007, 08:11 PM

I had the same thing happen, a few weeks post-op on a Friday. My temp would go up, but not over the "call us" number. It seems to be something that happens. If it goes over the "call us" temp, call your Dr's after hours line, if need be.
Unread 01-07-2007, 11:10 PM

Mine happened at almost 3 weeks on the weekend. My temp was 99.5 and I called the nurse hot line. She told me that if my temp didn't drop in four hours to still call the Dr. and since it was the weekend to call his on-call number. I did, he sent me to the ER and I had an infection that needed treated. Call, thats what their on-call number is for. If I had waited for my temp to reach the "call in" temp things could have been alot worse.
Unread 01-08-2007, 12:32 AM

I had a low-grade fever for many days that didn't go away until I started taking antibiotics. My fever turned out to be a sinus infection. Fever came first for several days and then the sinus junk stepped in.

Hope everything turns out okay for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register