does swelly belly turn into flat belly at all? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

does swelly belly turn into flat belly at all? does swelly belly turn into flat belly at all?

Unread 08-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Re: does swelly belly turn into flat belly at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerisnot View Post
Do they give you the wrap girdle at the hospital?

Do you think if you waited for 6 weeks it might have been better? It sounds like you felt better other than the discomfort.

thank you so much for all of your input. You are amazing! Thank you thank you!
Yes, If I had waited longer before going back to work it might have been better for me.
I think that I didn't want to leave my class with a substitute that long.
You are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2011, 11:16 AM

I was in my regular "fat" pants after a week. My swelly belly was gone and my regular pants fit in about 2-1/2 weeks.

If I get gassy & constipated it swells a bit. But basically it is gone.

Lost 10 lbs pre surgery to post op appt which I am happy about.
Unread 08-27-2011, 11:56 AM

I have noticed several of you saying you have lost weight since your surgery. Is this a common thing?? So happy to hear about it. I am 30 and having my surgery in a few weeks, it will be a full hysterectomy. So any of you that were in your 30's how did it go for you? Any advice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giverny chick View Post
I have noticed several of you saying you have lost weight since your surgery. Is this a common thing?? So happy to hear about it. I am 30 and having my surgery in a few weeks, it will be a full hysterectomy. So any of you that were in your 30's how did it go for you? Any advice??
My doctor said that there was no evidence to support the notion that we would gain weight after a hysterectomy.

I decided that I wasn't going to gain weight.
I think that gaining weight comes with hormonal changes, lack of activity, and too much eating after the surgery.

Understandably, we are tired, need rest, and tend to eat a little more. I just made sure to limit my food intake and cut out most sweets and fats.
Within a week, I was walking a little.
I just walked for longer periods every day.
Now I am walking up to 4 miles a day and have lost 22 pounds.
Unread 08-27-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq55 View Post
My doctor said that there was no evidence to support the notion that we would gain weight after a hysterectomy.

I decided that I wasn't going to gain weight.
I think that gaining weight comes with hormonal changes, lack of activity, and too much eating after the surgery.

Understandably, we are tired, need rest, and tend to eat a little more. I just made sure to limit my food intake and cut out most sweets and fats.
Within a week, I was walking a little.
I just walked for longer periods every day.
Now I am walking up to 4 miles a day and have lost 22 pounds.

That is AWESOME!!! I LOVE your attitude!
Unread 08-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giverny chick View Post
Suziq55's post is awesome! I can tell you that in your 30's you already have the edge of being younger. The older you get the more challenging it becomes.

With a positive outlook I believe one can accomplish anything if the really back it up with action.
Unread 08-27-2011, 01:28 PM

Hi, my swelly belly was totally gone and back to normal by 2 weeks post op.
Unread 08-27-2011, 01:53 PM

My hospital didn't give me a binder nor offer one. My doc said it wasn't necessary.

I ordered one anyway from this site and I'm now using it. The cold packs feel really good on my belly.

All of the trauma that happens "internal" is what will make it swell. That will take many months to be completely gone.

I'm not worried about mine since my tummy is smaller than it was before surgery. I know it will eventually go away. Of course, my uterus did contribute to the bulging of my belly, it wasn't completely flat since I was on a bulk (high caloric intake) for building muscle, for many months.

Also, swelly belly will not turn to "flat belly" unless you had a flat belly to start with. Swelly belly has nothing to do with the actual fat that is in your tummy. If you have fat there, it will still be there after the swelling is gone and the only thing that will change that is diet and exercise.

Losing belly fat starts in the kitchen
Unread 08-27-2011, 02:03 PM

Hi, I am 4 weeks and 5 days PO and i still have swelly belly. It is bothersome but i was heavy before my surgery. I do feel worse in the evenings when i "over do it". Does anyone have pains in their ovaries?
I had an AH, everything removed except my ovaries and i seem to have a lot of pain in them. Is it normal? Plus i have horrible lower back pain.
Unread 08-27-2011, 02:12 PM

Since I'm only 12 days post op, I don't know. I've been having sharp internal pains in different areas the last few days and I think mine is just my nerves and tendons healing or maybe I'm moving around too much.............

It could be normal healing since it takes a minimum of 8-10 weeks for internal stitches to heal.

You should probably call your doc to be on the safe side.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register