Clueless about it all! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Clueless about it all! Clueless about it all!

Unread 04-11-2001, 06:33 PM
Clueless about it all!

Hi! I just found out I'm having a LAVH/BSO (I think I have the right initials!) and I feel very lost. I'm scheduled for May 4th. I have fibroids, ovarian cysts- it'll be a relief to get rid of the pain.

I was surprised to hear I should only be in the hospital one or two nights. Is this typical? How about the recovery on this type of surgery? I ned to call the Dr back with all the questions, but thought y'all would probably be more help.

This site has been great- answered most of my questions! I'm trying to stay positive, but when they called to schedule my pre-op I started to see it was real...

Thanks!

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2001, 06:39 PM
Clueless about it all!

Hi, Donna,
My surgery isn't until May 14. It's also supposed to be vaginal and my dr said just 1 night in the "castle". So I guess that's normal as long as you do okay. This is a great site: you'll get lots of info, encouragement and support here.
Dianne
Unread 04-11-2001, 06:42 PM
Clueless about it all!

I had a TLH (total laparoscopic Hysterectomy) but kept my ovaries. I stayed in the hospital one night and was quite ready to go home the next day. Once you get off the IV, pee, pass gas, and keep food down, there's no reason not to go home and you'll probably be more comfortable there.

I felt pretty good once I got home as soon as I got off the Vicodin, which made me sick. I went to Tylenol and have had very little pain since then.

You must rest very very thoroughly, spending as much time as possible LYING DOWN, interrupted by short walks to keep the gas from ganging up on you. If you really rest and have a sit-down job it is possible for some women with laparoscopic surgery to go back to work at 3 weeks if their doctor permits, but please don't count on it or push yourself. I did half-days at 3 weeks and went to full-days at 4 days. The first week back at work I was VERY ready by noon to go home, lie down, and take a load off my ligaments (getting used to their new job of holding up my vagina).

The first week after surgery is the most dangerous because you may feel VERY good and be tempted to overdo. If you follow your doctor's restrictions (mine were no lifting over 5 lbs., no vacuuming, no grocery shopping, no laundry) very carefully, you'll have a much better recovery. Some days it's very hard to be good. After the first week and a half I was suddenly a lot more tired and it was easier to rest.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2001, 06:44 PM
Same surgery as you!

Hi, DonnaS!
I'm going in this Friday for the LAVH and BSO as well. I am only speaking from what my Dr and nurses have said, but they said I'll be until Monday (3 nites) most likely unless any complications make it longer. I have pelvic congestion syndrome and am 44 so Dr. said he should take the ovaries so there will not be any organs there to attract the extra blood supply as I'm experiencing now. Have had cysts on left ovary that have come and gone (burst a couple times--very painful). So, finally I look for relief!

Isn't this just the greates help? These sisters can't be beat. In fact, my own real Big Sis is a little jealous that I have new sisters and talk about them all the time!

Best of luck to you--stay calm and keep reading here--I've learned so much!

Shirljd
Unread 04-11-2001, 07:42 PM
Clueless about it all!

TVH and right ovary on Monday morning. Discharged Tuesday evening about 5 p.m. If they can hear bowel sounds with stethescope to your belly, you can take pain medication by pill instead of IV, and you can keep food down you can go home.

My hospital experience was just fine. However, it was noisy as all get out and restful sleep is more possible at home. I'm doing great by the way, and only using Extra Strength Tylenol don't even need the Rx pain medication.
Best of Luck!
Miranda
Unread 04-11-2001, 11:31 PM
Don't worry about the length of hospital stay...

Please don't be concerned about this aspect--that is between the GYN and your insurer. Your GYN will be the one that says when you may be discharged. Could be within the time frame he quoted to you; could also be a day or two later--just depends on how you do.
The minimum physical recovery time is 6 wks. It can take a lot longer than that, or not, for complete 100% recovery. Again, this too is very individual so its hard to predict. I personally would count on at least 4 wks off work in the post-op period. Its up to the GYN and you to decide when to release you from GYN post-op follow up.
I had my surgery 1/15/01. I was given the go-ahead to drive at 1 week; I went back to work full time (a desk job) at the start of Week 5 and did just fine but was really tired that first week at the end of the day. I feel 1000% better today and would categorically state I have no regrets at having the surgery done at all at age 45. I only had 2 post-op visits total, did just fine with no problems once I got home and now don't have to go back til Jan. 2002. Yippee!!

You too can do that well. Good luck!!
Unread 04-12-2001, 05:07 AM
Clueless about it all!

I feel much better hearing from people that were only in a day or two. I work part time, and they're in no rush for me to get back. This is pretty sudden for me- I do NOT like being a patient and will drive my husband and kids nuts!

Thanks everyone-

Donna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register