Scared of Not Waking Up! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared of Not Waking Up! Scared of Not Waking Up!

Unread 09-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Scared of Not Waking Up!

OK, here goes. A lot of people are worried about this hysterectomy because they are afraid of the pain. My actual biggest fear about this whole thing is not the pain at all. I actually have a fairly good tolerance for pain and a big mouth to let the nurses know when I need something for it.

My biggest fear: What if I don't wake up? Well, I know, there's nothing I can do about it if I don't. Ha. But, I think that's what goes through my mind anyway. I have some minor health issues, apart from gynecologic ones, but not like heart problems, etc. (that I know of). Really, nothing I should fear I know, but I simply cannot put the thought of it out of my mind.

Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Re: Scared of Not Waking Up!

Hi Hya-cynthia -

Yes, your fears are quite normal. Having surgery is scary.

Know that the doctors and nurses will take care of you, they will watch over you, and they will see you through this. You will have so many people watching you - all very highly trained professionals.

I know this is an overwhelming experience. We are here for you and understand what you are going through.

Unread 09-12-2013, 08:38 PM

Its perfectly normal to feel that way. But look at it this way, the way time is asleep is a blink of an eye. So the second you are gone, your back. During my d&c my anesteologist (sp) placed the oxygen mask on my nose, said take 3 deep breaths. On my third breath I was being told to open my eyes and it was over. Its normal to be afraid of not waking up, but you will be fine. These Dr's are really great at what they do. Their sole job is to sit there and watch your vitals so you wake up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2013, 08:40 PM

Totally normal. ..I have been under so many times im worried there is some kind of limit and it wont work and I will either not wake up or be able to feel it!! Crazy the things our minds think up.
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:44 PM

You're right. Our minds are our own worst enemy, I think. I've been put to sleep quite a few times before - dental surgery, numerous colonoscopies and a D&C. I've woke up from all of those, but this is by far the most invasive and extensive surgery I've ever had, so I think that is what my silly mind is drawing this fear from. Thank you all for your reassurances. That is helpful to know I'm not crazy!
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:08 PM

I had the same fear...and omg...breathing tube anxiety. I think that was my worst enemy thought wise anyways. But, it all worked out fine - I'm here today and grateful. It really was over before I knew it. They gave me a happy cocktail in the pre-op anesthesia room, that helped a little and the surgeon's PA came into the OR with me and held my hand while they put me under. Next thing I know I'm being wheeled into the recovery room. Never fear - anesthesiologist know alot more than we give them credit for - they know exactly whats going on and are our advocates during surgery. Good Luck!
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:42 AM

Such a common fear - and totally natural. I'm right there with you

We put our lives into someone else's hands- it's out of our control so we're bound to worry.

We have to trust in their expertise and the fact that they do this day in day out and if they weren't good at their job they would not be allowed to still be doing it 😀

Good luck, you'll be fine x
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:44 AM

Hi there!

Please don't worry! I felt the same way like what if I wake up mid way? But it was really like a long "overdue" nap that was so needed when I was given something to relax on the way going to the procedure room and thats all I remember! next thing I knew a
sweet nurse whispered it's time to wake up! And thats when I opened my eyes and felt "hazy" then thats when the TLC from the medical staff began and I felt totally cared for and thats what will happen for you also! You are going to feel amazing! Many prayers from me to you!
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:28 AM

If it helps, I WOKE UP! But I was just as terrified as you with the idea what if I don't wake up. I was also scared about waking during the operation itself, but I am so grateful that when you are put out, you don't feel a thing, and you wake up as if you were only asleep for a minute!
Best of luck I'm sure you will be fine
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:55 AM

Same fear here overall. Surgery on 25th and my gran never woke up from routine surgery thirty years ago!! Carried it with me for decades until I wound myself up into a frenzy waiting for bunion surgery five years ago! I nearly jumped out of bed, but surprise surprise I woke up!! The surgeon said not to worry about my grants he out me under and that made me worse, but by then I was gone anyway. I promised myself that day I would never do that to myself again and I do feel a lot calmer, even though it niggles. Bottom line I reckon you'd be a nutcase if you weren't anxious and I promise we will ALL wake up from this...that's when the hardest part starts I guess!! Good luck xxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register