what do I expect at preop? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what do I expect at preop? what do I expect at preop?

Unread 03-15-2005, 03:35 PM
what do I expect at preop?

My preop is Friday, I called my nurse to ask what time to be there and she said anytime before 3. She said I will pre-register at that time, they will collect half of my deductible if is hasn't been met yet, and then they'll do whatever the doctors orders say and tell me what time to be there Monday etc.
So what usually goes on at a preop??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2005, 03:57 PM

Hi! My pre op appt. was a week before surgery.I talked a few minutes with the Dr. about the procedure then spent the rest of the time with the nurse.She went over what to do the day before,which to my surprise did not include a bowel prep!Sent me for bloodwork and an EKG.Gave me the phone# for the hospital so I could pre-register with them.She went over lots of tips for before and after,most of which I learned from this site! Good luck! My advice to you after surgery...take it real easy the first few weeks.When the Sisters say treat yourself like a Princess,they mean it!!I did and I've had a very good recovery.
Unread 03-15-2005, 04:01 PM

Hi,

At my pre-op I did a urine test, blood work, an EKG, and a chest x-ray. My gyn. said I had to do the EKG and chest x-ray because I was 35. He said anyone 35 or older had to do that at my hospital. I, also, pre-registered while I was there. It wasn't to bad.

Good luck with your surgery,
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2005, 04:27 PM

My pre-opt was at the hospital. They registered me and did blood work, ekg, general physical (nothing invasive), medical history and a chest x-ray because I have asthma. I had met with my doctor previously and they maile dme the bowel prep directions.
Good Luck and God Bless
tah/bso
Unread 03-15-2005, 05:44 PM

I had my pre-op last week at the hospital..I pre-registered, answered ALOT of questions; blood work; urinanalsyis and EKG...Piece of cake....

After that went to Dr.'s office....I had a list of questions, spoke with Dr. at length about procedure, (no bowel prep for me, yea ) what to expect and my many questions....Again, piece of cake....Good luck, Denise
Unread 03-15-2005, 05:53 PM

I had my pre-op with the Gyn last week.I have to wait until a week before surgury to register at the Hospital.I was told that I don't have to have an EKG or a x-ray because I'm not a smoker.NO bowel prep either
Unread 03-15-2005, 11:59 PM

I will have 2 pre-op appointments.

The first, which I've already had, was with my doctor. That included a pelvic exam and a PAP smear since I was due and we're planning to keep my cervix at this point. It also involved filling out some paperwork and talking to my doctor and also his nurse about what I could expect. The good news: no bowel prep for me!

The second is scheduled for March 28, and is the hospital pre-surgery appointment. I'm not entirely sure of what all will be done at that appointment other than the pre-registration and meeting with some of the surgical staff.

Trish
Unread 03-16-2005, 07:43 AM

I was expecting all sorts of stuff, especially since I'm on the fluffy side. My pre-op was a full month before surgery. They did this because they wanted to get my panniculectomy pre-approved (never happened -- I had to pay up front for that procedure).

I consulted with my gyn surgeon and my plastic surgeon (who also had a "before" picture of my belly taken). They did just very cursory exams -- nothing internal.

Then I had some bloodwork done. They took a half dozen vials of blood.

Then I went to the castle (attached to my clinic) and pre-registered. That's when I told them I wanted a private room, etc. And they gave me my pre-op instructions -- no bowel prep, otherwise pretty standard instructions. I was to call the night before surgery and find out the time I was supposed to come in the next day. (Huge hospital so their schedule is always changing!) All told, I was done in about 3-1/2 hours.

Hope this helps. Different hospitals have different procedures, though.
Unread 03-16-2005, 08:52 AM

well as you'll see from my thread - mine took about 3 mins!

If you have questions, write them down so you don't forget them.

Chicky
Unread 03-16-2005, 11:03 AM
pre-ops

Okay here goes...about a month ago, after I got my date, I had some blood work done at the GP by request of my GYN. I will be picking that up today after my pre-op history/physical. Two weeks ago I had my final appt with my GYN prior to my procedure receiving all my final instructions for the castle visit. These included 3 days of clear liquid diet and a good ol' Fleet. Last Sunday I received a call from the castle updating my information for the medical records - stuff like address, phone, job, insurance etc. Am supposed to get another call anytime starting today through next Tuesday. They said not to worry if they don't call. They will take care of whatever it is when I check in. I'm sure they'll call to remind me not to eat or drink anything aftermidnight. With all this liquid diet, I should be dropping a couple of pounds prior to the surgery.

I have to say that today is the first day that I can actually feel the nerves. Probably because its my final appt prior to the surgery.

Just jittery today,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register