dVH - going home same day? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dVH - going home same day? dVH - going home same day?

Unread 03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
dVH - going home same day?

I am scheduled for a da Vinci Hysterectomy at 7:00 on April 11. My doctor said I can go home that afternoon. I had a laparotomy last year to remove a tumor and my right ovary and went home the same day, but none of my friends I've spoken with who have had this procedure did. They all stayed overnight, but their surgeries were in the afternoon. Did anyone go home the same day? How was it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Re: dVH - going home same day?

Hi there!
I had my daVinci radical hysterectomy first thing the morning of February 29th. My surgeon said he planned to send me home that night. But I had trouble waking up from anesthesia and pain meds--I just couldn't lift my head much less sit up. I had to be on oxygen for awhile because my breathing was so slow. I was going to go home then the next day, but my bowels wouldn't work so I threw up even water. So they kept me another night and gave me a dose of steroids to reduce inflammation.by the next day I was able to get up and walk and then shower and ate a few bites, so went home.

The point is, it all depends on how your body reacts, and everyone is different. They won't discharge you if your body isn't ready. If it is, then going home to your own bed is nice. Make sure you have help at home at least for the first few days, especially if you're discharged early.

Best wishes for your recovery
Unread 03-27-2012, 01:33 PM

Hi. I am scheduled to have my complete hysterectomy on April 10 at 8am via Da Vinci. They told me I would be going home the same day as well. Are they having you do bowel cleanout? My dr is, I am alittle nervous about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2012, 01:45 PM

Hey Ladies! I had my DvH 11 days ago. Mine was early in the morning and my doc said she'd leave it up to me as to whether I felt like going home that evening. She said she'd leave orders to release me if I wanted to go home. Being the silly worry-wart that I am, I just knew ahead of time that I'd probably want to stay. I've experience my mom coming home from surgeries too early cause she totally wakes right up from anesthesia and starts to fuss about going home, LOL and then that evening having various issues and worrying me half to death! So anyways, point is - I woke up just fine, pain wasn't even at a 2 on the scale. My catheter was out before I even woke up. Ended up eating a nice dinner (confused me because on my board was written Liquid Diet, but I was served a hamburger, I ate the whole darn thing, I was starving, hehe!) had a dose of pain meds before bedtime and slept very well. Was up walking the halls before 5am the next morning and was released around 1pm. I just felt more comfortable being at the hospital, but I know pretty much everyone I talked to ahead of time, with the exception of my DH (cause he knows me, lol) said they'd go home that day. I probably could've - but it's just about personal response to the anesthesia and how you feel Best of luck! Be sure to post if you have any other questions/concerns - there are plenty of us here with many different experiences!!
Unread 03-27-2012, 01:48 PM

My Da Vinci is on Thursday and they plan on having me stay overnight. I hope I'm awake and feeling well enough to go home same day. I'd prefer to be in the company of my cat, but I won't push it if they feel I need to stay. My surgery is at about 11am, perhaps that's why I'm scheduled for overnight and you're scheduled to go home.

I doubt they will have you leave if you're not up to it.
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:27 PM

I had DvH on 3/14/12, my Dr said if I really wanted to go home same day he would allow it. However, he recommend to spend the night, I took his advice . It was a comfort to me knowing if I had a complication the hospital staff was right there.

P.S. husband was glad as well, as he put it I,m not a Dr.
Unread 03-27-2012, 04:26 PM

I had my davinci on 3/9. I was dead set I was not going to stay overnight & let everyone know it. My surgery was scheduled at 7:30 but didn't happen until 11ish. When I woke up I resolved to complete the tasks required for my release, it took about 3 hours since the nurse wouldn't cooperate & take out the catheter. My doc released me & off I went. Headed straight to Sam's club & Walgreens, then to a motel close to the hospital because hubby wasn't comfortable with my leaving so soon. Long story short... it was a bad decision! Given the chance to do it over again I would stay overnight. Once the pain meds and everything wore off from the surgery I was completely miserable made worse by the fact I immediately did way too much! Hubby says I'm too tough for my own good, I say too stubborn!
Unread 03-27-2012, 05:00 PM

Same day in insurance terms is anything less than 24 hours. I did not want to go home the same day. I wanted to be as alert as possible and know what my pain level would be like after all the immediate post op meds wore off. My surgery was at 7:30 and took almost 5 hours due to a huge, 12lb uterus. I was sitting on the side of the bed by early evening and walked the halls before midnight. I had my catheter out in the very early morning, took a sink bath, got dressed and was home at about noon. It was a great experience. You will not be sent home until you meet certain milestones. I'm glad I stayed. I needed to get my feet under me. Good luck to you.
Unread 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM

Just ad my hesterectomy and they want to send me home the same day with the cathertore still in. Has this happened to anyone?
Unread 03-28-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenjen81 View Post
Just ad my hesterectomy and they want to send me home the same day with the cathertore still in. Has this happened to anyone?
Wow that would scare me. I know nothing about them though. I only had one for my csection and it was taken out that night. Good luck. keep us updated. Thinking of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register