Will my vagina still be ''self cleaning'' after hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will my vagina still be ''self cleaning'' after hysterectomy? Will my vagina still be ''self cleaning'' after hysterectomy?

Unread 05-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Will my vagina still be ''self cleaning'' after hysterectomy?

Weird thought but here goes, feel free to laugh at me (but only after you answer, lol).

So a friend and I were talking about the funny smell you can sometimes get the day after sex if your man's semen is in your vagina. She made a comment about going to get a douche, and I said my usual '' you know, the docs say you shouldn't douche, your vag is a self cleaning over'' lol.

But then I got to thinking.... If we have our cervix and everything removed, Will my vagina still be ''self cleaning''?
Do the fluids that cleanse your vagina come from the vagina itself, or your cervix or your uterous or what?

Basically, is my female bits still going to clean itself internally or what? And why? I need details! How come I never thought of this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Re: Is my vagina still a ''self cleaning oven''?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandys0524 View Post
Weird thought but here goes, feel free to laugh at me (but only after you answer, lol).

So a friend and I were talking about the funny smell you can sometimes get the day after sex if your man's semen is in your vagina. She made a comment about going to get a douche, and I said my usual '' you know, the docs say you shouldn't douche, your vag is a self cleaning over'' lol.

But then I got to thinking.... If we have our cervix and everything removed, Will my vagina still be ''self cleaning''?
Do the fluids that cleanse your vagina come from the vagina itself, or your cervix or your uterous or what?

Basically, is my female bits still going to clean itself internally or what? And why? I need details! How come I never thought of this before?
Brandys0524, I don't know the answer to this but find it very interesting. I have a doctors apt Thursday and will have to ask her about this. I'm curious to see what our sisters think as well.
Unread 05-03-2014, 09:13 PM

This is a great question! I have no idea but am really curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2014, 11:49 PM

This is a very good question. While I did not think to ask this specific question to my doctor, I did ask her about vaginal lubrication and whether I'd be "dry" after removing my uterus and cervix. She said the vaginal secretions come through the vaginal walls, not from or through the cervix so I shouldn't notice any difference. And I don't notice any difference. I have the same type and amount of secretions now. Here is an article that talks about where the sperm goes after surgery and the vagina is sewn shut. I think it also addresses your question Intimacy - Where does the sperm go? . I hope this helps!
Unread 05-04-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandspice View Post
This is a very good question. While I did not think to ask this specific question to my doctor, I did ask her about vaginal lubrication and whether I'd be "dry" after removing my uterus and cervix. She said the vaginal secretions come through the vaginal walls, not from or through the cervix so I shouldn't notice any difference. And I don't notice any difference. I have the same type and amount of secretions now. Here is an article that talks about where the sperm goes after surgery and the vagina is sewn shut. I think it also addresses your question.

This is good to know.
I am curious if I will still expeirence the vaginal secretion changes that I do now. For example, right after my period it's normally watery, then when I ovulate is's like egg whites, then right before my period its kinda thick and creamy white. So do you still have those changes? Is that hormonal or what that controls it?
Unread 05-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Will my vagina still be ''self cleaning'' after hysterectomy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandys0524 View Post
This is good to know.
I am curious if I will still expeirence the vaginal secretion changes that I do now. For example, right after my period it's normally watery, then when I ovulate is's like egg whites, then right before my period its kinda thick and creamy white. So do you still have those changes? Is that hormonal or what that controls it?
I would imagine so if you are keeping your ovaries. Many of your hormones come from you ovaries which will still be going through their cycles. Your vaginal secretions come from your vaginal walls and are controlled by your hormones.
The consistency of your vaginal fluid depends on where you are in you cycle. When you get more of an egg white stuff your ovaries are getting ready to drop an egg. The increase of cervical fluid is to feed any potential sperm and keep them alive for up to four days waiting for an egg. Of course no egg is coming, but it is being released and your body will still probably prepare in its usual way. I say probably because I'm still pre-op and have not experianced this personally. I hope it all still works so I can keep a rough track of where my cycles are so that I can know if I'm actually mad at my hubby or just having PMS. I'm also curious if most of my anger was just because I was in pain or if the hormones were making me grouchy.
Wish you well and talk to you later.
Unread 05-04-2014, 10:10 AM

The changes in secretions are likely hormonal. I still experience all my hormonal changes.

My huge bonus is I no longer get migraines. It never occurred to me that my 5 or so horrible migraines a month were caused by the Pill. I have only had about 4 migraines since my surgery almost 3 years ago.
Unread 05-04-2014, 12:56 PM

Great question...
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:37 PM

This is a great question. I have been so concerned about bleeding that dryness didn't come up. I hope that after surgery I am still "self cleaning". Some of those douches are just icky.
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:53 PM

I don't feel the need to wash any more now than I did before my surgery. Everything works the same in that regard.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register