should I? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-17-2005, 02:00 PM
should I?

I am 37, have abdominal adhesions, possible fallen and displaced uterus, prolonged periods and a nasty discharge. I am finished with having children. Should I have a hysterectomy? If so - should I give up my ovary (only have one). It is functioning fine. I am scared about the whole emotional rollercoaster that comes with ovarian removal. Thankyou for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2005, 06:34 PM
should I?

Your posting really gives no indication of how serious your problems are regarding a hysterectomy.

At your age you are 14-15 years away from menopause. Is your doctor really willing to remove a healthy ovary from a healthy young woman? If so that would be very disturbing.

This article highlights why your ovaries are important to you health and well-being.

Rational for Ovarian Consevation by Donna Shoupe MD
Unread 02-17-2005, 07:24 PM
should I?

Hello, and

We're so happy you joined the Hyster Sisters community! The members here have unlimited hugs to dispense to you at all stages of your journey to good health!

In answer to your question, "Should I have a hysterectomy?" -- None of the members can answer that question for you. We are not doctors and cannot give medical advice.

Most doctors recommend retaining healthy ovaries, especially at a relatively young age. What does your doctor advise?

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Dr.'s Advice

Thanks for the reply! I go and see my Dr. next tuesday. I am not sure where he stands on taking my ovary. I am just trying to get all of the facts and have a good general knowledge before I see him. Thanks, Love Shawn
Unread 02-18-2005, 07:16 AM
should I?

Hey I know what you are feeling.Best advice is to read everything you can here before you talk to your doc, it really helps you ask better questions.

I did that before I saw mine for what I thought was a simple but extremely painful prolapse of my uterus.
Well nothing is as simple as it seems,my uterus has a major prolapse as does my bladder and bowel,I also appear to have no perineum left to talkl of.

I am scheduled for surgery next Friday and tho I'm nervous, can't wait for it to be over.I've been suffering for 4 years now.

I have 3 young sons, so like you I'm done with kids. I will hopefully be keeping ovaries(unless he finds something when he's in there).

Most docs will recommend keeping them at our age I think unless there is a real concern.

So educate yourself as much as you can and try not to worry..Best of luck
Unread 02-18-2005, 09:16 AM
should I?

Even at 44, my doctor said I most likely had 10 years or so of "heavy" estrogen production to look forward to from my ovaries, so she was absolutely OK with leaving them if they were OK (which they were).

Also, the ovaries don't stop producing hormones at menopause -- the production just slows down. So even if you're past menopause, you still benefit from having your ovaries if you can.

Good luck with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register