Burning thigh syndrome, anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Burning thigh syndrome, anyone? Burning thigh syndrome, anyone?

Unread 05-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Burning thigh syndrome, anyone?

Hi everyone!
Here I am at 5 days post-op and though the surgery went well and I'm healing wonderfully, due to some repositioning of me during a switch from LAVH to TAH, I am really suffering from what the neurologist called meralgia paresthetica, also know as lateral femoral cutaneous sensory nerve palsy. A groin nerve got severely pinched or twisted during surgery and now I have this nearly constant burning tingling feeling in my one entire side of my thigh that bothers me so much more than the incision! Time, ibuprofen, rest and no more nerve pinching was the suggested treatment. Has anyone else had this happen, and do you have any suggestions for getting through this without going nuts?
Sorry I didn't post earlier, but was in hospital longer due to fever and bowel issues. Boy, am I glad to be home! If I can just get a handle on this nerve thing, I would be doing great! Hope all the rest of you are recovering nicely!

Louann
TAH, BSO, due to extreme hyperplasia and severe endometriosis.
REALLY happy to be on the road to feeling better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2006, 11:23 AM

Hmmmmm....I don't know if I had that or not but I had severe pain in my thigh. It went away the next day. But I know I cried with the pain...I believe it was the gas that got into my muscle..the kind the pump into your stomach before surgery. It would not go away with pain meds at all..it just had to work itself out.
I'm sorry you're not feeling good..I hope you get well soon.. ,s
Unread 05-10-2006, 11:28 AM

Hi! I too am 5days post-op. I had a LAVH, though. Sorry to hear that they had to open you up. Ouch!

If you are not getting relief from the Ibuprofen, etc. I would talk to your surgeon about a more neuro-directed pain regimen. For example, and your doctor can talk to you abou the options, neuronitn or Lyrica is often used for neurpathy (pain arising from nerve pathology). If your doctor gets "fussy" just ask him/her what s/he would use for pain relief if you had shingles or diabetic neuropathy. That might quiet him/her to a dull roar. And cause them to reflect about his situation. And if you don't get relief from your gyn surgeon (not surprsising if you don't) call your regular doctor -- that's what they're for.

Good luck! Keep up the good healing.

Catherine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2006, 09:25 PM

Sorry you're in double-pain, Louann! At 7 days post-op, doctor prescribed Neurontin for my night sweats/hot flashes. Maybe it would help your thigh pain, as well. Certainly worth checking into. Best wishes!
Susan
Unread 05-10-2006, 10:20 PM

Hi...I'm new here. I had my hysterectomy on May 4, last Thursday. I am doing really well...still sore. I had a vaginal hysterectomy and I have problems with might right thigh. I called by gyn on Monday and he said it should work itself out. I have an area of skin on my outside thigh that is numb to the touch and sometimes when walking or if I touch a part of the thigh that has feeling it's like I can feel a spasm! I have my post op exam next week and will surely bring this up. Good luck...we'll get through this.
Unread 05-11-2006, 06:17 AM
I can relate

I can relate. Both my calves are killing me and my thighs are sore as well. I have no idea what I went through during surgery but my lower back and my legs are really uncomfortable. I had my uterus out last August and it did not curb my bleeding issues. Not "all" of my uterus was apparently taken out so last wed. I had my cervix out but vaginally this time. I didnt' have the leg pain last time. Its making me nervous. I think I am going to have to call as well.

Unread 05-11-2006, 06:40 AM

I had terrible pain in my upper right thigh right after surgery too. I had no idea what it was, but it did go away within a few weeks. For me it wasn't constant pain, kind of like a burning cramp that would come and go. At about 1 month, I had the same feeling in my right calf, and thankfully that went away too. I didn't take anything, but I hope your doc can help. Hang in there sweetie - hope you feel better real soon.
Unread 05-11-2006, 07:20 AM

Painter,

Thank you so much! That makes me feel much better. Waiting on the call back from the Doc as I write. I hope to be feeling better soon too! I never imagined leg pain would be getting the bulk of my attention! I appreciate your words of encouragement. Its nice to know I am not alone. Have a wonderful day! God bless, mzmrlda
Unread 05-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Good advice from you, as always

Wow! Thanks to all of you for the support! The thigh pain is a bit reduced, though it nearly sends me into the ceiling at times if I shift it wrong. I was given Neurontin at the hospital once, but was given the impression that all the burning pain and tingling would just have to work itself out over time. I suppose I'm just being impatient, but when it seems worse than the hysterectomy, I do get a bit worried. I will be good and just relax and be pampered by my friends and family, and hopefully, along with good surgery recovery, I will be able to report the leg pain will be gone by then too. Thank you all! Hope all of you keep healing well!

Louann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register