What to bring to the castle - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to bring to the castle What to bring to the castle

Unread 02-03-2004, 02:04 PM
What to bring to the castle

I had a TAH on 12/29/03 and also had the lower leg compression device when I got out of surgery. I agree that it felt good. I took a lightweight robe and a few toiletries. I showered the day after having surgery and it made me feel a little better. The one thing that I found that really helps is that I bought a raised toilet seat to use at home. The toilets seem to be so low to the ground and I found that it really helped. You can get them in the pharmacy dept. and they are around $30. Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2004, 04:37 PM

I took the robe, slippers and toiletries (deorderant, shampoo, shower gel and lotion) I also took a hair dryer. That first shower the day after surgery felt so good! I got tired, but it was worth it! Something else you might want to stick in your bag is some lip balm...my lips were really dry. Also some hard candy or throat drops...my throat was scratchy for the first few days after surgery.

Good luck!
Unread 02-03-2004, 05:00 PM

well.......... thank you all so much for your advice and tips.
It is 5 p.m. the night before and I have just finished the last of my "things to do" list. I am actually very calm and just wanted to get all the necessary things out of the way so I can maybe sleep some tonight !~

My 9 year old is upset she can not come to the hospital (RSV issues here in the southwest) I told her I would call her as we say prayers together every night. I hope I can follow through!

I appreciate all your prayers and support and will update you on the Post Op side of things.

Much love to all of you and thank you again!
Unread 02-03-2004, 06:10 PM

this is so helpful! i am trying to put together a list of what to bring. the one weird thing that I am doing is bringing a pillow stuffed with fresh lavender. I use a small one at home, and I am having one made for me which will be larger. it really helps with sleeping.

where do we get those stocking things?
Unread 02-03-2004, 06:59 PM

I think I've read of some hospitals telling patients they had to buy the stockings (which I'm sure you could find in a hospital pharmacy), but mine provided them, and put them on me while they were getting me ready for surgery. I also had the electric compression boots, but I found them really annoying.

I took more than I needed to the hospital. The only things I used were my robe, lip balm, toothpaste and tooth brush, and hairbrush. I also used handcream, but only after I had the IV out. My husband was in charge of the lip balm and put some on me as soon as I woke up, and kept asking me if I needed more. But the IV was keeping me pretty well hydrated, even though the oxygen was drying.

The toothbrush, toothpaste, and hairbrush made me feel human again the next morning, after being unhooked from everything. The nurse told me I could shower, but I just waited until I was home the next day.
Unread 02-03-2004, 07:22 PM

You might want to consider lip balm(doesn't take up much space)

Some hard candies for dry throat. And a TUMMY PILLOW.

It was a must for me, especially for the ride home.(bumps)

When DH was there visiting, I had him buy pizza for the

afternoon shift nurses. They really enjoyed the free meal.....

And that paid off, because 2 weeks later, I found myself back

in the castle with an abcess! Boy, they remembered me and

took extra good care on my return visit.
Unread 02-04-2004, 01:06 PM

Hi Girlinthegarden,

I found the following post very thorough for a list of what to bring to the hospital:

http:https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...hp?s=&id=96849

Hope this helps.

jshots
Unread 03-04-2004, 06:42 PM

So how did everything go and did we give you good advice. Bookfairy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register