How are the 5 weekers doing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How are the 5 weekers doing? How are the 5 weekers doing?

Unread 05-10-2006, 04:53 AM
How are the 5 weekers doing?

I hope you all have had the nice weather we've had here in Vermont (sorry to the Texans!). I've been able to lengthen my walks and do 1/2 mile or more walks three times a day. I've also been able to do a more hilly walk.

I feel about 70% of my old self, but with an effort only. I'm doing laundry again and light housework. I do short errands and went back to work just for a few hours a few days a week. My superviser is more careful than I am and actually won't let me do more than that!

Sleep is still an issue, but I've sadly shut the cats out of the room. I got fed up with doctors who told me that I "couldn't be having problems" and cut out all sleep meds. I don't sleep any worse without them. Today I am seeing a homeopath for the first time because I want to avoid any strong drugs in my life. But I would like to get more sleep.

Still having some anxiety, but it is better. And I hate it that I am a clothing size bigger in spite of losing 6 pounds!!!

Still having constipation problems and was told I have developed a small rectocele. Take one thing out and the rest go, it seems. I refuse to conside more surgery at this point.

Hope all you other five weekers are feeling more of yourselves this week!

Unread 05-10-2006, 05:22 AM

Are you able to walk normally? I'm 3 weeks and still walking like a "fast" old lady. Was there a significant difference?
Unread 05-10-2006, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher7
Are you able to walk normally? I'm 3 weeks and still walking like a "fast" old lady. Was there a significant difference?
Yep, big difference. I walked that way for awhile, too, but am now almost back to my normal walking. My legs were CRAVING movement. In fact my whole body now wants to run and do an aerobic workout. But... I won't let it yet.
At about 3 weeks I did overdo it once and was in bed for 2 days. Now I am walking with moderation.. but constant moderation. Frequent short walks instead of long walks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2006, 06:42 AM

Was feeling great and started to do much more - probably too much as the staining has started again. Can't believe all you fit people who do mile-long walks and [I read in another post] kyaking!. If I walk for more than 20 mins. I am zonked. Still as I have a house full of stairs I guess I get my excercise that way. Not allowed back to work yet and am enjoying the English spring. Keep smiling
Unread 05-10-2006, 07:40 AM

I am 2 weeks post-op and would like to hear from you 5 weekers how your swelly belly is doing? Will it ever go down? Is there a significant difference?
Unread 05-10-2006, 08:05 AM
5 weeks and feeling super!

boy do i have energy! i feel super and i do not regret this surgery one ounce! i love the way i feel and am really liking the way i am looking as i have dropped 37lbs since the first of the year! dr said i look like a million bucks ! i told him if i did look like a million bucks where the heck is the money! i have been doing all of my presurgery stuff. and then some. i feel super! hope you all are doing as well as i am. the hormone patch i am on is working great. only thing i asked was can i change it a day early he said sure!
Unread 05-10-2006, 08:24 AM

Hi there,
Glad to hear everyone is doing pretty well!
I will be 5 weeks tomorrow and am doing pretty good. I had surgery one year ago which began this journey for me, and the healing was much faster the first time. This time it is seeming to drag on and on and I still have some pain and pressure.

But still, I cannot complain. I am wearing pants with zippers and buttons now... not only the elastic waistbands. I just started to be able to wear them without pain this week. Woohoo!!

I am having pressure and pain if I stand or walk too much still... it is in the perenial to rectal area, and in the hospital my surgeon told me it was likely the extreme pressure from the McCalls part of the surgery. Anyone else experiencing this? And how long did it last?
It is only slight now but builds if I keep standing or walking, and more so to the left now then dead center.

I am doing light things...like a small amount of dishes, or folding the laundry from the dryer, but not carrying it upstairs. Small easy dinners, etc.
I just don't last long on my feet before that pressure I mentinoed gets worse and too much to handle. I can't go far from the house due to it either... .

My post-op appt. is on Friday and I will be sure to mention all of this to her then. Wish me luck, it's a 2.5 hour drive to get to her, ick.

I hope everyone continues to heal quickly! Take it easy too!
Unread 05-10-2006, 08:26 AM

37 lbs!!!! that is great! how did you do it? I lost 10 right before surgery and now I need to work on more!!! Any helpful hints?? Have you gained any on the patch?? I think I have swelled up a few pounds but not too bad.
Unread 05-10-2006, 08:32 AM

I will be 5 weeks tomorrow. I think it was a long 4 1/2 weeks, but I am finally feeling normal again. I too was told I lost 6 pounds, but am not fitting in any of my pants. I have to do something about that. I went last week to the urologist and was told I had a bladder infection. He put me back on cipro and I feel great. It will just keep getting easier. At about 2 1/2 weeks I did over do it and paid for it a couple of days. Now I am still tired a lot but am finding new energy everyday. Glad to hear everyone else doing well, take it easy.
Unread 05-10-2006, 09:55 AM

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well! I am at 5 weeks today and am mad at myself because I did too much yesterday. My niece had a baby and I went to help her and out am paying for that today! In fact, I did not even think that I would be able to drive home last night, I only made the trip because my son had school today! I am having intermittent twinges of pain in my vaginal cuff area. I have taken it so easy for the past 5 weeks and ruin all that in one trip out! I guess I have to sit around the house and rest all day. Other than that I have been feeling great! I do seem to "hit a brick wall" when I get tired, meaning I go from tired to utterly exhausted in the blink of an eye.

One good thing about my trip out is that I was thinking about going back to work next week (I am a nurse in a nursing home) and after that experience have decided that I am better off waiting 8 weeks, so two additional weeks off of work!

Hope you all continue to heal well! Pamper the princess!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register