TVH yesterday | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH yesterday TVH yesterday

Unread 04-19-2007, 01:49 AM
TVH yesterday

Hi I just had my TVH yesterday I didn't realize how much my stomach would be swollen, how long does this last, I am also taking meds for pain, when will this subside? My DH seems to think that looking after me consists of sending me to bed and ignoring me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2007, 05:41 AM
TVH yesterday

The swelling may last a week, a month or a couple of months depending on how your body heals. I was off pain meds within 2 days, but everyone is different...if you need them, take them. Everyone's pain threshold is different.

Best wishes

Wendy
Unread 04-19-2007, 06:52 AM
TVH yesterday

Hi (((Michelle)))
Welcome to Hystersisters! Would your dh be willing to do some reading? We have a site for the men and other family members called Misterhystersisters . It would be helpful for him to do some reading there so he'll have a better understanding of what you've had done and what your needs are now while you heal.
I think many times our men just don't know what to do for us. They aren't natural caregivers and need to be instructed.

Have you read through the Checkpoints? They are a good resource for both of you. They explain week by week what to expect as you progress through your recovery. There are also cautions there about what you shouldn't be doing.
I hope this is helpful. You might even want to print some things out for your dh if you think that will help get him to read them.
Keep us posted on your progress.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2007, 06:58 AM
TVH yesterday

Michelle62 please take it easy, drink lots of water and take your pain meds. I needed my meds for 2 weeks and then went on advil. The swelling does vary for each princess. I'm 2 months post-op and find when I over due it my stomach swells again. Your dh probably just needs to be told what your needs are. My dh husband tends to appear to ignore me when he doesn't know what to say or do So take care and lets us know if you have anymore questions or concerns.
Hawaii
Unread 04-19-2007, 05:25 PM
TVH yesterday

michelle,

I was on pain meds for 2 weeks, and then after that had to take one a night for the next 2 weeks. I had 2 drs. tell me not to worry about taking them, it is better for your body to not be in pain to speed up healing.

As for the swelling, I was swollen for about 2 weeks and then it went down a bit. When I went back to work at 5 weeks I started to swell again. You'll read lots about swelly belly here!! In the beginning, taking aspirin 3x a day helped with the swelling (ask your dr. first though).

I'm sorry your DH isn't more helpful to you. I hope he does read the For Men part of the site. Until then, take good care of yourself, and like the other ladies said, drink lots of water and get lots of rest!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register