Hello Hot Flash | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hello Hot Flash Hello Hot Flash

Unread 04-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Hello Hot Flash

So, three hours after my one week post op appt on Monday where I declared "No, no symptoms yet of menopause", I had my first hot flash. Not too terrible, didn't last too long. Just felt like someone had wrapped a heating blanket around my head for 10 minutes. Then another one. Last night same thing...same time too (hmmmm). And increased in intensity.
I'm curious to know if you ladies have figured out what, if any, hrt you will use...
My dr. said he will do whatever i want which isn't a lot of guidance...but I'm leaning towards an estradoil patch, like Vivelle. I like the fact that, with a patch, the drugs do not pass through the liver or digestive system. But has anyone heard about having to stay out of the sun when on a patch?
Thanks for any advice...keep up the good recovery!! Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Re: Hello Hot Flash

laura!!

Deciding on the right HRT is not always easy. There are so many options out there and what works for one woman might not work for another. I didn't really like the idea of oral estrogen either, but I have super sensitive skin and any kind of adhesive drives me crazy, so the patch was off the table. Same with the creams...too sensitive, so oral it is. I haven't had any issues at all and my menopause symptoms are gone.

As far as staying out of the sun, it doesn't matter if you are on the patch or taking oral estrogen, you will be more sensitive to the sun. I learned the hard way. I went to a football game and was outside for 4 hours....normally, I would have been a little pink, but I got completely FRIED!! Even my lips were sunburned and blistered!! It was awful. Make sure no matter what type of ERT you use, you are using plenty of sun block!! You will be glad you did!!!

I hope the patch works well for you and you find what works best for you on the first try. Please keep in mind that it can take some time to get your hormone levels to where they are supposed to be. Try to be patient, there will be something out there that makes you feel better.

to you!!

Unread 04-18-2012, 07:47 AM

Thanks Traeleigh,
Yes, that makes sense about the sun. I will heed your warnings!!
One more question, if I may...I understand that taking estrogen blocks the absorption of magnesium, zinc, vit B6, and folate. If on a pill, you can take the supplements at a different time but what about if you're on a patch which, theoretically, is always "dripping" estrogen? Do you just take the supplements any time?
Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2012, 08:45 AM

I just started on Estraderm 2 days ago. Am in the UK so don't think you will have the same one. I also wanted to avoid anything going through my liver but don't know if its such an issue or surely the docs would say something? Anyway, I was having bad headaches from the lack of estrogen 11 days post op. 12 hours after putting on the patch headache gone. Bliss. I do expect there maybe some fiddling around tho to get the right dose etc but for the moment I am happy. Good luck with your choice.
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:22 AM

I am using the Vivelle dot .1 and so far so good. I was having night sweats, hot flashes, and was very emotional. My doctor gave me samples to try. It took a couple of days for my symptoms to go away.
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:39 AM

Thanks Anna and Bohdie, I'm glad you guys are working it out.
I found out about the supplements...absorption is done in the gut...so if you take hormone pill, you have to wait a couple hours. But if you use a patch, it doesn't affect absorption.
It seems like the whole thing is a trial and error process. No way to tell how your body will react to each method. So, I guess you sort of just dive in and if the pool is too hot, or too cold, or has no water (HA!), you just find another pool.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register