I don't know if this is the right place to post this but... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but... I don't know if this is the right place to post this but...

Unread 05-25-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but...

I have been reading on here about some recoveries and most seem to be mentioning how exhausted they get.

Is this something that eventually goes away and why do you still get so exhausted so quickly weeks post op?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2008, 10:58 AM

This is a good question.... but I probably won't be able to give you a very good answer other than to say that surgery (and the healing process) just takes a lot out of you. Plus, the longer the person is feeling bad and out of their routine, the harder it can be to bounce back. Ever have the flu and just feel weak as a kitten afterwards? Not using our muscles for a while really makes them weak. Our stamina just fizzles out and it can take a long time to get it back. Truly, the better shape you are in before surgery, the better chance you have at bouncing back in a timely manner. Whether it be getting daily exercise, eating right, or smoking cessation, etc.

It's important to take it easy and follow doctor's orders on all the restrictions, but it's a huge help to at least keep moving and walking. That can be difficult to do when we don't feel well, but the longer we are in bed or on the couch, the weaker we can get. It takes a long time to gain muscle and strength, but not much time to lose it.

The hormone jungle is another chapter of the story that adds to the variables. Retained ovaries might not be working up to snuff. Surgically menopausal women have to deal with adjusting to HRT or adjusting to doing without.
Another biggie along these lines can be insomnia. If ya ask me, when ya can't sleep - it messes with everything. Healing, mood, energy, diet, etc. I never had insomnia until my hyst so I had no idea how awful it can be. For some it's temporary, for others it's a long road.

Proper post-op pain management is key also... To get a good hit, you have to find that sort of 'sweet spot' on the bat... Enough relief to help the person move around and get going, but not so much that it causes excessive sedation and keeps ya down even more.

Some of us have complications, no matter how hard we try to do everything right. We don't know ahead of time who will sail through surgery and recovery and who will have difficulty somewhere along this path. Nobody can promise it will be easy or that we'll "do just fine" because none of us have that crystal ball.

Even without any complications and doing everything "right" the healing process takes time and time can't be rushed. It's helpful to understand that some things are in our control, some are not. Just do the best you can. What's 'normal' for one, may not be 'normal' for another. For most, the exhaustion does eventually go away. Some feel wiped-out for a long time, others not so much. Some women who were used to living in chronic states of anemia from prolonged or heavy bleeding, sometimes actually report feeling engerized after a while- because the anemia is corrected.

Not sure if this reply was helpful or not, since it's rather vague, but that's my take on it. Wishing you all the best as you do your homework and make your decsions.

Beth
Unread 05-26-2008, 11:40 AM

Thanks, your answer was helpful. I have 4 small kids so it should be interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2008, 03:17 PM

I think Beth is right about how long ladies have been sick prior to surgery. I only truly suffered for about 2-3 months (seemed like years!!), so I bounced back much more quickly than others here. On the other hand, getting the HRT right also took a little toll on me (headaches), but I have truly felt better, especially emotionally, than ever! You'll have to give yourself time, but it sounds like you're pretty young. You should do great!
Good luck
Unread 05-26-2008, 04:51 PM

I know everyone is different, and heals differently, so just take all responses and try to use what might apply to you. I had a TVH and bladder sling, I am 6 weeks post op and feel great, have had a very uneventful recovering, every week have felt better and better, I have walked alot during recovery, but now that I am actually trying to actually do a daily routine at home and work a very short shift of 3 hours, 4 days a week, yikes I get totally exhausted, just a fatigue like I've never felt before.
Unread 05-26-2008, 06:14 PM

klgm

Are you saying you suffered during recovery for 2 to 3 months or you suffered 2 to 3 months pre op?
Unread 05-27-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havehope
klgm

Are you saying you suffered during recovery for 2 to 3 months or you suffered 2 to 3 months pre op?
Sorry, that was confusing -- I suffered pre-op! I had adeno, but didn't know it. I started having terrible pain in July and finally had surgery in September! Pain free from the minute I work up after surgery
I have read about so many women suffering for years, passing huge clots, anemic, etc. I was doing great (post ablation in 04) until several months prior to surgery. Therefore, my recovery was quick. I hope that's clearer.
Unread 05-27-2008, 10:51 AM

klgm

Thanks, that is what I was thinking but wanted to make sure. So did your ablation just wear off???
Unread 05-27-2008, 03:20 PM

Well, the ablation, I thought, had gone very well. I never bled again, and I thought I had female issues behind me. However, last spring, I started having menstrual cramps -- no bleeding, just cramps. They were strong and painful, but temporary, so I lived with it. This was April. In May they were worse and lasted longer (needed 4 Advil at a time to kick the pain). Then in June , a similar story. In July, however, they started again, and wouldn't go away. Stronger and stronger. Went to three doctors who couldn't tell me anything (except that I had fibroids), so I found this site and OBGYN.net and discovered that I wasn't alone. I finally self-diagnosed (adenomyosis), found a surgeon in Atlanta (awesome) and went for it! I have felt good ever since. I don't know how these ladies suffer for years!!! I don't have that type of patience or tolerance (and when I had graduated to hydrocodone daily, I knew it was time!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register