LSH vs. DVH Deciding between. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH vs. DVH Deciding between. LSH vs. DVH Deciding between.

Unread 11-13-2011, 08:57 AM
LSH vs. DVH Deciding between.

My Gyne is trained in DVH/robotic assisted surgery. When we talked recently about scheduling my hysterectomy and I asked about the DVH she ment that some patients have complained of more belly pain than a traditional LSH. She stated that the robot actually rests on your belly and the pressure/pain from this post-op has been a problem. She said I am a perfect candidate for a traditional lap hyst.
We are going to keep my one ovary and after researching I think I will also want to keep my cervix. The surgery is for adenomyosis, which I have been suffering with for 4 years. After my last and final failed conservative treatment I am just DONE.
I teach and cannot have a month off mid semester so I must wait until June, so this gives me lots of time to research. I just wondered if any of you have experience with this.
Thanks so much!
Riggs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Re: LSH vs. DVH Deciding between.

kba11,

Great question? My doc offered me a LSH and I was excited because my uterus was so big I didn't think I would qualify. I did some research about the DiVinci back then and liked it.

After comparing the two I decided that: 1. The doc is a much bigger factor, his/her skill is most important. 2. The LSH seems 'gentler' to me and I've found that to be true after reading lots of posts. 3. The robot takes longer. 4. Usually more incisions are used with the robot. 5. My main problem was fibroids making the surgery a little easier than some other problems where the robot may be useful.

There are probably problems the robot is better a
ble to address...cancer, endo, adhesions but I still think the skill and experience of the surgeon is just as important.

I opted for the LSH and I'm pleased with my decision. I wouldn't hesitate to have surgery with the DiVinci, it's a great tool. If I were in your place now and deciding LSH or DvSH, I'd let the surgeon make the call. If she prefers traditional lap tools, I'd go with what she likes.

That's how I decided, hope it helps.

Unread 11-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Re: LSH vs. DVH Deciding between.

I had the DVH I had no stomach pain after. My surgery did take 2 and a half hours longer than planned due to excessive scar tissue. I went in with the fear that my Dr would have to go in my c-section scar. As I had so many surgeries before. My Dr never gave up and continued to use the robot throughout. I did not have the other option available due to the amount of issues. I was walking 5 hours after surgery and have had a fairly easy recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register