Please help, there must be some other option | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please help, there must be some other option Please help, there must be some other option

Unread 07-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Please help, there must be some other option

I have had issues with heavy long periods for years and years and years. I have two kids and with each one they got worse. After I had my 2nd daughter 2.5 years ago, after weaning, my periods were about 14 days, and so heavy the first few days that it was impossible to play sports, or even sleep through the night. I would have to wake up at least 2 times to change my super plus tampons.

In January, 2009, I underwent a microwave endometrial ablation. After that healed, my periods were lighter. In the sense that I didn't bleed through tampons anymore, however, I now have spotting/bleeding almost every single day of the cycle. I will have about a week where the bleeding is heavier, and I need to use regular tampons, changing about every 4 hours. And then the rest of the cycle, I have annoying spotting, however, sometimes I need to use a small tampon.

If I have intercourse, I usually end up bleeding all over DH, even if I wasn't bleeding much before.

I have pretty much had to wear a pad every day for the past 7-8 months.

Family doctor and gyn who did the ablation both say I need a hysterectomy.

I cannot go on the pill due to issues with blood clots.

There must be some other options?????

I did have some thyriod bloodwork that showed normal.

What other tests shoudl I have? Ultrasound was normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Re: Please help, there must be some other option

I'm so sorry to hear that you're suffering at the moment

I too had a micro-ablation which really lightened my periods but unfortunately after about 18mths I started spotting all the time & sex really became an issue as (like you) I would bleed during and after.

Having a hysterectomy is a huge decision & it sounds as if you are really thinking about all your options which is great. I too did alot of research before finally deciding to have the surgery. My gyno advised that while it wasn't essential I have one, there was nothing more that he could do & I either put up with things as they were (constant pain, spotting etc...) or fix it for good. I am now very comfortable with my surgery & do not regret it for a second, I only now realise what life can be like without ever having another period again

I wish you all the best of luck.
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:34 PM

Hi Pcan,
I'm sorry you're going through this. I wanted an alternative also when I was told I needed a hysterectomy. It took a lot of research on my part, and determination to find a doctor willing to preserve my reproductive organs. I did find one, and it was well worth the wait and effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2009, 02:51 PM

Depending on what is causing your bleeding, there could be a variety of options available. Have you had any testing done that had indicated why you are having bleeding issues? I had a hysteroscopy to look inside my uterus and a laparoscopy to see what was happening on the outside. They also did a D&C to try to stop the bleeding. The results showed my uterus was covered in endometriosis and my only option was the hysterectomy.

I would suggest asking your doctor if he can determine why you are bleeding so you can explore the options for the specific diagnosis. I would also suggest at least a second opinion to help determine what is best for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register