Having hysterectomy 5/19: PANIC out of control. overwhelmed. I know I am being ridiculous. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having hysterectomy 5/19: PANIC out of control. overwhelmed. I know I am being ridiculous. Having hysterectomy 5/19: PANIC out of control. overwhelmed. I know I am being ridiculous.

Unread 05-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Having hysterectomy 5/19: PANIC out of control. overwhelmed. I know I am being ridiculous.

I am hysterical. having a hard time breathing. and nauseated. I am breathing every way possible. I have taken 2mg klonopin. I have read all of the articles to prepare for hysterectomy and I am not even ready. My surgery is Monday. I have to get everything together tomorrow. Because I have prep on Sunday. I also read alot of the hints and tips. I didnt realize how long recovery was going to be. and it seems like it can be difficult too. I thought a week or two tops. I didnt know I had to buy some bigger clothes. if I cannot bend how will I tie out my dogs to use the bathroom? I dont have any meals prepared. I dont know what I am going to do. why didnt my doctor tell me these things? I wish I would have checked in here sooner. I was so busy this month with my kids wisdoms being removed and taking care of them and the whole house I lost track of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Re: PANIC out of control. overwhelmed. I know I am being rediculous.

Take a deep breath and slow down. Make a list of the things you need to do and prioritize. Do the ones that you really need to get done and get friends or your family to help you with the rest.

As to clothes, I didn't buy anything bigger. I just wore a pair of looser pants which turned out to be huge once they took my huge uterus out (It was a bonus to go down a pant size after surgery).

Bending is something you will have to ask your doctor. My doctor told me that I had no restrictions about bending over and I was able to do that the day after surgery. That being said, can you put a nail or something up higher so you don't have to bend all the way to the ground to pick up the dog's leashes?

Meals can be delivered or if your kids are old enough, leave them easy instructions to follow and keep it simple. Once again, family and friends can be a huge help in this area. Call and ask. Don't be shy.

You need to go into this surgery with your head focused on your own healing, not on taking care of everyone else.

Unread 05-16-2014, 09:38 PM

Recovery can take awhile, do you have help for when you get home at all? I have a huge dog as well luckily my hubby temporarily fenced off some yard so all I had to do was let her in and out, If you dont get meals prepped its not the end of the world, you could eat take out as well as have easy things like frozen dinners, breakfast and such, maybe some sandwich fixins, fruits and veggies also I bought no new clothes except undies which ive even seen ladies here suggest hubby boxers as a good choice, I borrowed my sons sweatpants and shirt for wearing there day of then came home wore nightgowns I already had or again borrowed sons shorts and tshirts, you should prepare recovery area plenty of pillows blankets, table close by and plenty of plugs for phone, heatings pads etc, also get the gas x, and stool softners dont want to get caught without those, believe me I know this whole process is scary and overwhelming so spend a liittle time taking a nice bath or somethng else that relaxes you, best wishes for your time at the castle and a smooth recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2014, 09:50 PM

I was like you. I had nothing prepared when I got home . However I was in the hospital for 4 days so I could walk and think. I got my bed and things close by as I thought of it. It's not the end if the world not to have everything done ahead of time. One thing that you should get ASAP is a grabber. It helps to pick up things that you drop. Also have things you will need right away up high enough to reach without bending . I basically ate very little the first week home but if you need to do it for the family, make easy stuff or order out. I lived in pj's and sweats for a month... Just more comfortable...
I also had my DH home for a week.
Unread 05-16-2014, 09:59 PM

I wish I had read about the grabber before I had my surgery. I don't have any restrictions about bending but it is a tad uncomfortable. And I always drop stuff. LOL!! I have learned to use my toes for lots of things.
Unread 05-16-2014, 10:06 PM

As another person predisposed to anxiety (I hadn't taken a Xanax in ten months until I was told I had endometrial cancer and needed a full hysterectomy - da Vinci), I truly understand what you're going through.

I, neither, bought any larger clothes, and my uterus was not big. My incisions were above my belly button, though, and I had yoga-style pants that hit me below that. By day 5, I attended a bridal shower, and wore a dress, which was actually very comfortable. By day 7, I drove myself to get a mani/pedi (hey, priorities you know!)

I also had to do the prep the day before surgery - drinking a bottle of magnesium citrate - and did that around 3PM; it didn't really hit me for several hours later, so while I was waiting for it to hit, I got things done around the house that I knew I wouldn't be able to do after surgery - if you can believe it, I power washed my garage floor; it collected a LOT of salt from the cars over this horrible winter and it is always one of my sort of rites of spring/summer passage that I get my garage floor clean. I knew if I didn't, then I'd have to look at it for at least six weeks, until I would be cleared to do that kind of labor intensive job, so I did it, and was close to the bathroom in case I needed it. But you could substitute anything you want, and will find you've actually got quite a bit of time on Sunday to still get things done.

I got home from the hospital on a Wednesday night; my husband stayed home on Thursday, and he could have stayed home on Friday, but my cleaning lady was due on Friday, so I asked her to stay a few extra hours so H could get back to work. Then he came home early (well, 4PM is early for him) and then it was the weekend. You probably won't be all that hungry for at least the first week, so don't worry about where you're going to get your meals from - just have some simple stuff around, like yogurt, fruit, pudding, applesauce, eggs for scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, etc; I sort of had to make myself eat for at least the first week and by the time I started getting an appetite back, I could make something simple in the crockpot so that it could be made in the morning when I had the most energy, then it would be ready at dinnertime. Obviously if your kids are old enough to be getting wisdom teeth out, they are old enough to get themselves a bowl of cereal if they get hungry and you aren't up to cooking.

Regarding the bending down for your dogs, if you have some sort of cane-like apparatus or even an umbrella, just take that outside with you and kneel down to do what you have to, then use the umbrella or cane thingy to help yourself get up. It really won't be that many days before you can carefully bend over. I had no restrictions on bending.

The absolutely most important thing is to save your energy for taking short walks, and nothing else. By two days post op, I was walking 1/4 mile and by day 4, I was walking a half mile. But I line right next to a path that I know is 1/4 mile around once, so it was easy for me to keep track of my progress and push myself just a little bit more every couple of days. It's not a race... take your time, but move. Besides, you will be ready for a change of scenery after spending a few days on the couch or in bed. As of today I am up to 1 1/2 miles and it's not as slow of a pace as it was that first week. Hopefully wherever you live, the weather will cooperate for you to do this.

At 17 days post-op, I am feeling pretty darned good, but I read so many times not to tempt fate and overdo it when I started feeling better, so even though I'm walking a healthy distance, it doesn't mean I all of a sudden start doing cleaning or yard work, or anything else. I save my strength and energy for walking and perhaps a visit or two when people stop by. We almost never order out pizza, but yesterday I gave myself permission to do it, and I ordered enough to have dinner last night, and leftovers tonight. I don't have kids at home anymore, so I don't have the distractions they can bring; when I started feeling better, it was easy for me to want to get up and do stuff that I like (like yard work), but I know it's just not in my best interest right now.
Unread 05-16-2014, 10:23 PM

I never bought any special clothing, I have a sundress that is very loose fitting and wear it. Also, the hospital sent me have 2 pair of underwear that I have been using. The most important thing is relax things will be fine. I have a very small dog and instead of bending down at the waist I squat down to send my dog outside. You may want to make jello because I have had complications from the tube they put down my throught and I have been basically a liquid diet. Hopefully everything goes smooth for you and someone will be with you a couple of days.
Unread 05-16-2014, 10:29 PM

The best thing you can do to prepare is try and relax. Pick up some frozen dinners and foods the kids can get themselves. If they live on uncrustables and frozen waffles for a few days they'll be fine. Make sure you have some stool softeners (mine were perscription) and gas x get your favorite sick foods. I had yogurt, cereal, pudding and cranberry juice. As far as your "nest" phone charger, pillows, and I found that having a little basket to put
My phone, meds, tissues and some candies made going from my bedroom to living room easier. Get a big water bottle! As far as clothes comfy and loose is best the first couple of days as the gas settles. I've been hanging out in big tshirts and my husbands boxers!!! Get some fresh air this weekend and try and relax. For the bowel prep if you can find them the preperation h wipes are great for your sore bum. Best of luck.
Unread 05-16-2014, 11:18 PM

Oops
Unread 05-16-2014, 11:30 PM

I'm so sorry you are freaking out! The best thing you can do to get ready is take a min to yourself and relax.
1. Take a bath play some music, take a walk, go for a drive (If you're calm enough) play with the dogs, go on a date. Get your mind clear.
2. grab some easy food,
3. and giant granny panties,
4. prepare your nest (pillows,blankets, extension cord within reach,maybe a water bottle that doesn't dump when you tip it)
5. buy some wipes for your cleanse,
6. pack your overnight bag (cell phone, cell charger, ear phones, small extension cord, chapstick)
7. wear lose clothes (or a high waisted skirt I loved it) into the hospital so you don't have to pack more clothes.
8. Let people take care of them and tell them what you need.
YOU CAN DO THIS! ! !
If you can manage children you've got this handled!
Stay as calm as possible. Panic is like an octopus on rollerblades. Lots of action, but no forward motion.
Lots of love!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register