How many days do you think I may be bedbound? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many days do you think I may be bedbound? How many days do you think I may be bedbound?

Unread 02-21-2012, 11:14 AM
How many days do you think I may be bedbound?

My surgery is very close now and I am a little nervous. I don't know why I was under the impression that I would be up and about in 2-3 days but the more I learn I see that I am going to have to force myself to take it easy. I think it was the term "minimally invasive" that threw me off. How many days do you think I may be bedbound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Re: How many days do you think I may be bedbound?

Hi there - It's so hard to predict that kind of timetable, as we all really do recover at different rates, based on so many factors, not least of course how well our individual surgeries go. I had laparoscopic (but not da vinci) and was extremely fortunate to have an unremarkable surgery/overnight in the hospital. I felt pretty weird getting home from the hospital and went right into bed, but by the next day, I accompanied my parents (who were staying with me) to the grocery store. That was definitely overambitious but I actually felt so good that morning, took a shower with no problems, got dressed in loose fitting pants, and off we went (I just walked with them, didn't carry anything heavy of course). I almost passed out while there and went to bed when I got home, but from that point on, got progressively better and more active. My discharge instructions noted first off that bedrest was not in my best interest and as soon as I could comfortably increase my level of activity, to do so.

I believe women overall do generally recover faster from da vinci/lap surgeries (which one article I read causes us to be over confident early on which can lend itself to injuries, etc), however I will be 4 weeks this Friday and still don't feel fully myself yet. I feel really good overall, but still a bit sluggish when I am out and about, just kind of tired.

"Minimally invasive" is still plenty invasive - Not sure what you will have done but I had a total hysto. Even my gyn cautioned me upon discharge from the hospital, it looks like you've had nothing done (just the two tiny keyhole incisions plus reddened belly button), but you've had MAJOR SURGERY.

Plan if you can to take at least 4 weeks, I'd say....Best of luck to you
Unread 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM

I agree with Caroline.. All different.. I had a Da Vinci TH Jan 31st and was up walking that night, nurses orders. When home I made sure for every hour I layed down I got up to walk for about 10 minutes.. By the end of week one I would walk 10/20 minutes after laying down.

With that said, I would still tire easily.. I am 3 weeks post op today and can pretty much walk around alot but my body pushes back when I have done to much..

I hate the fact that docs use "minimally invasive" with a hysterectomy.. The fact of the matter is no matter what type of incision we have on the outside, major organs are removed internally. I have read woman on here that had abdominal hysterectomies doing better then those of us who had laproscopic. It just really all depends on each individual person..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM

You will probably want to lounge, sit, and recline, but after the first few days really should not be bedbound. You can get up and hang out, and go on brief outings. And you should do some walking around, even in the house, to avoid blood clots. Best wishes for an easy recovery.
Unread 02-21-2012, 03:44 PM

I felt great three days after and then did too much and felt bad again. My doctor said that was the bad thing about having it done laproscopically because you feel pretty good and then overdo it. It's still major surgery and I keep forgetting that. I say move around the house but make sure you rest alot in between!
Unread 02-21-2012, 04:23 PM

Yeah, what they said! I don't think 'bedbound' is the right concern, because you should not be restricted from moving to get to the bathroom, the sink, etc., and it really helps to relocate to a comfy chair or sofa for part of your day.

'Housebound' I might say, because the first week or so you will feel fragile enough that you probably won't be looking to go shopping or socializing. Bit by bit, you will feel ready to expand into the world again.

But mostly you will want to do everything mindfully and in small doses. If you love walking your dog, you may want to walk next to someone else who handles the leash, especially if your dog is quick and unpredictable. If you go shopping, let someone else carry packages and push heavy doors.

Don't commit to too much and give yourself permission to stop whatever you're doing to rest when you need to. I found that I slept in many short naps but enjoyed getting up and doing little things in between. And I tried to find little projects like scrapbooking, reading, knitting, etc., that felt productive but weren't physically taxing.

Try to find ways to take advantage of this little recovery period -- so you don't get frustrated or see it as being restricted. I know I have a thousand little projects that get put off till this kind of opportunity comes along, so I tried to make the most of it!
Unread 02-21-2012, 04:26 PM

I had a da Vinci and I was never actually bed bound. I was up on the side of the bed a few hours after surgery and then walking the halls soon after that. At home, I had stairs so I killed two birds with one stone in activity. I walked like a little, old lady for a couple of weeks. Fatigue is the killer. I had to nap a lot. I was more active than I thought I'd be for sure. Listen to your body in all things and you'll be fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register