Endo & Debating the Big H - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endo & Debating the Big H Endo & Debating the Big H

Unread 07-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Pros and Cons

Hey Stacey,
I think you're right...you have a lot of reasons to go ahead with the hysterectomy. I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV), but I'm right there with you on the difficult decision making. Only 4 days until the decision is put into action. After reading all the trouble you've had, I feel like I should see you in the hospital bed right next to mine!

I remember the first surgery I had. The woman next to me was having a hysterectomy after 13 surgeries to remove endo, cysts, etc. Wow. What a nut! No, I just remember being frightened that anyone would go through all that. She was only about 40, and I was 21 at the time, thinking I'd never spend so much time in pain. Here I am, almost 40, and laughing at myself.

Take it easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Endo & Debating the Big H

In response to Mary69, yes, Mirena is the IUD/Coil that apparently works well for some women. I was not one of them. Not only was it very painful, the hormones made me really violent. Started to tell my boss to <Oops! Please do not try to override the website censor.> one day...someone caught me before I ruined my work life. Then I went to a concert and told a guy I was going to punch him in the face if he didn't stop spilling beer on me. Then I knocked his drink out of his hand. This insanity is NOT me. Anyway, after 4 months of giving it the good "college try", I was so happy to have it out. Two things that made it really bad? Fibroid near the cervix and the fact that I'd never had kids. Definitely something to consider.
Unread 07-11-2005, 08:43 PM

I did not want to have the hysterectomy when the Dr told me I needed one. I was going to have a bowel resection due to it and just have the endo excised. But then the GYN oncologist said the only safe way to do the bowel resection and get all the endo is for him to do the hysterectomy. In his experience with how bad mine was that everything would be so bad inside and not worth "saving" and if he tried there would be too much bleeding etc..
I guess I didn't realize how much I was wishing for that "miracle" baby. I went through years of fertility stuff and 2 surgeries and Lupron with no success. I cried for days anytime anyone mentioned it. I was afraid of turning into a "crazy" woman too. My hubby said well I already was. He was trying to be supportive ha ha.
Well I did come to terms with it with the help of this site I may add. And now I am doing great. Barely any pain remaining and no familiar endo pain! I don't wake up looking for the advil or Tylenol 3 and I am regaining more and more energy and am back to everything I was before minus lifting heavy stuff and running as far as I want.
I am not on HRT, and do have some hot flashes and insomnia but have NOT turned into a crazier woman! I will wait at least 6months, but then maybe never. Do not want to risk it coming back. Endo doesn't really shrivel up and die it just shrinks without estrogen and if it is still there, why risk it? No way to know if Dr gets all microscopic cells. Just don't know if I want to risk it. Also endo in itself can produce estrogen and even without HRT it can come back. Hysterectomy is not a cure, but it is the closest way for me to get rid of it.
Glad I had it done, if I would not have may have ended up with cancer had borderline neoplasm left ovary and also Dr believes it wouldn't have been long til I had a complete bowel obstruction due to the endo masses in teh colon, thankfully I told my OB about my cyclic rectal bleeding and had a colonoscopy. Never imagined it would have ate all the way through.
Well guess I am done rambling. In the end it is a very individual choice because everyone's bodies react differently and when one person doesn't have many problems and a return of endo whose to say you will have such luck? It is a final decision that you cna't turn back on so you have to be sure it is right for you........
Tiffany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2005, 10:42 AM

Red Rabbit,

I wish I could be in the bed next to yours!! I'm on my period now and the pressure and pain and rectal bleeding are just getting to be a drain on me. I have so little fun in my life right now. I want to try and rid myself of this monster and see what life is really like! I've put up with this for 15 years and I want out!!! (I thought it was funny when you said "I'm not a doctor-nor do I play one on tv." LOL!!! Thanks for the chuckle)

HUGS,
Stacey

Tiffany,

I am having so many bowel symptoms that I wonder what will happen to mine when the doc is in there. I think I'm going to ask for another colonoscopy at the time of my hysterectomy if the doc thinks it will matter what the inside of my bowels look like at the time. Seems smart to me. I'm really glad you are feeling better. It is so good to know that there are actually a lot of women who have good outcomes with hysts.

Thanks for the wisdom and advice!!

Hugs,
Stacey
Unread 07-13-2005, 12:47 PM
hystersister to come

hi all, i'm a new bod also. i have been suffering now for the last 18 years. constant pain, mis-carrage after miscarrage and to top it all Periods 3 weeks out of 4. I have been under so many consultants i had started to feel that the prob was mental not phisical. i completly feel for you. the doc's cant find anything wrong regarding endo or other things. I am going in for a hyst on Sep 29 '05 i am scared stiff but know its my only option left. i'm scared cause i have to go through it alone as my husband is armed forces, and is currently detached abroad. i have no family around me and scared if something goes wrong. i have just turned 28, married with 2 beautifully daughters and feel its time to start having a happier and healthier live, to be able to enjoy my family pain free. at present i can range up to 4 sizes bigger in clothes over a period of a day. i'm sick of people looking at me thinking i'm fat, sick of people saying its not your horm it's whst you eat. I can't eat for the pain and going to the loo is a joke. I know i'm scared stiff but i still say ROLL ON THE OP. Its my turn to have a life.
Unread 07-13-2005, 02:34 PM

Hi I have endo and I know what you are going through. I have had 4 laps and I have had lupron too. I have been put on the pill and that did not seem to work. I am going to have a hysterectomy this month on the 19th and I feel this is the best thing for me. I have a wonderful doc and he has tried to do everything for me. I will pray for you.

Charmed03
Unread 07-13-2005, 02:38 PM

AMEN SISTA!!! Just remember, you'll have all the wonderful ladies her at Hyster Sisters to help you through it all! God Bless your hubby (and YOU).

Big bear hugs to ya!
~Stacey

P.S. I read "Bearing the Big H" and "Through the Land of Hyster", which I purchased at the Hyster Sisters store. I HIGHLY recommend them both! They will help you answer some questions and help you expect things to come.
Unread 07-13-2005, 02:41 PM

Charmed03,

Thanks for your prayers, I will pray for your surgery on Tuesday! God Bless you and guide your doc's hands!!! You'll do fine

HUGS
Stacey
Unread 07-13-2005, 05:27 PM

HI, in response to your question whether you should get a colonoscopy at time of hyster. Do they even do that? And if you don't have it bad on outside of colon, you probably don't have it inside. I know when they got in there for me since the bowel was "cleaned out" he could feel the nodules inside so he knew what to take out. Maybe you have something else going on besides endo in your bowel? Hard to say I guess! I wish you luck though! Tiffany
Unread 07-14-2005, 06:56 AM

Charmed03

You will be in my thoughts. hope everything goes well and your back to yourself very soon.

take care sister

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register