Should I try and get a 2nd opinion? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I try and get a 2nd opinion? Should I try and get a 2nd opinion?

Unread 06-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Should I try and get a 2nd opinion?

A friend who is going through this at the same time, is recommending that I get a referal to her doctor. She got her date back in April (her's is 6/28, but she's not on here, though I let her know how wonderful it is) and hasn't had any problems with schedualing or threats of possible cancelations.

I'm just worried that if I get a second opinion I may not be able to get in to see them before my date comes up again (if I ever get one). Or that my OB/GYN may drop me if I go to someone else for said opinion.

I do like my OB/GYN, if they'd just give me a date... and stop canceling me with no notice. I wouldn't even be thinking of going to someone else, but I am getting frustrated. I've now had my pre-op and am sitting around twittling my thumbs and feel like I'm losing my mind. I was hoping to have this done before my next period started (or have it only just start), my last period was 4 months long and I ended up in the ER twice. The one before that was 6 months, and only stopped for 5 days before the next one started.

Should I just hang in there and wait with my doctor, or find someone new?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Re: Should I try and get a 2nd opinion?

A second opinion is never a bad idea. Go ahead and schedule one, if you wind up in surgery beforehand just cancel the appt...no harm done.
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Re: Should I try and get a 2nd opinion?

Aile -

Watch tne "Give Me a Second" video (link in the upper right part of the screen). It is absolutely never a bad idea to get a second opinion because you may find a dr that is versed in alternative treatments that your Dr. doesn't know about.

Additionally, although we'd like to believe our Drs have our best interest at hearts it is really up to us to be our own advocates. If your dr keeps cancelling you and you are worried they may drop you as a patient would seem to me that they might not value you as a paying customer like they should.

I'd get the 2nd opinion. There are some women here who have gotten 3 or 4 because of their situations.

G

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register