Big fibroids- UAE vs Laproscopic Hysterectomy vs nothing? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Big fibroids- UAE vs Laproscopic Hysterectomy vs nothing? Big fibroids- UAE vs Laproscopic Hysterectomy vs nothing?

Unread 02-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Re: Big fibroids- UAE vs Laproscopic Hysterectomy vs nothing?

Thanks nekochan for this post! This is *exactly* the position I am in too. I have an upcoming appt with a radiologist about UAE but have the same concerns you do about that procedure. Plus I am 39 so the thoughts that it might only alleviate things for a short while is not very encouraging. I am definitely leaning towards the hysterectomy at this point but trying to keep an open mind until I can talk with the radiologist and my doctor again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2012, 09:34 PM

I just had my surgery yesterday. I'm home now and happy to be here. Since we had worked on shrinking the fibroids, I was down to 5X greater in size than when I started Lupron. The surgery was Lap. assisted and supposed to be 1 and 1/2 hours. Turned into 4 1/2 hours. There was a lot more going on in there than we knew. More huge fibroids, endometriosis(sp), scare tissue, R Ovary twisted and down, Falopian tube smashed flat. I love my medical team. they took there time, Dr. **** was very good. If we would have had the info. we would have done a C section. I didn't tolerate the narcotics so I am taking several things and overlaying them by dr. orders. I am looking down the road to 2 wks. It keeps me focused on healing. In my own bed, I can sleep on my side with lots of my pillows! Husband laughs. Been walking and peeing well! Now gas in the nether region, but plenty of burping. Swelly belly likes light rubbing and support wrap. Thank you Hystersisters! Due to a long surgery, my left shoulder really took it badly and has needed some tender loving care and stretching. The hot shower after coming home was bliss. Hang in there sisters. The first three days can be rough. You'll feel so much better soon. I know I will.
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:45 AM

I am going to make another appt with my dr. Yes, I have symptomatic fibroids--'bulk' = enlarged abdominen and fullness) and heavy bleeding (but it's always just 2-4 hours). On the plus side, my periods are regular (5 days) and at regular intervals.
If it weren't for this job overseas for 3 years, I would not consider surgery. I'm 49 and I think my mom was in menopause at 51. The work doctors are concerned that the situation may suddenly change. But I just feel like it might be better to try acupuncture (I'm going to HK) and stay healthy --devil you know vs the one you don't?
I feel like the sudden emergence was stress related---last April-May was the worst ever at work, and that's when I noticed the fibroids were larger.
The work doctors suggest that I may suddenly have a hemorhage (sp?) and that is the problem...but I've never had one before. Do you just suddenly have a bad turn? aaargh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 05:59 AM

I never had a sudden turn that I was aware. When I went into surgery what we thought was one 10cm fibroid turned out to be an Alien with arms reaching out to other organs in my body. It was a very complicated surgery and had I not have done it I could have lost my bladder, or spleen along with the left ovary I lost. I am 52 and I too didn't seem to be menopausal as I had regular periods every 28 days, not heavy at all. I have had three hot flashes within the last 15 yrs. So, not only can menopause take another few yrs for you, but your condition can worsen without you even knowing it.
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:54 AM

WOW! Did you have an MRI beforehand? Would an MRI show that kind of thing? Hmmm. Thank you, Scorp1159.
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:20 AM

I knew about my fibroid since my first pregnancy in 2005. At that point it was 7-8 cm. I did not have any symptoms at first, and went through another pregnancy with limited issues. After my two pregnancies the symptoms got gradually worse for a few years, then suddenly worse this past fall. I can definitely say that my symptoms were worse with stress, I could even feel the location of my fibroid throbbing in moments of stress! In October, I had to go to the ER because my bleeding had gotten so heavy and my doc was worried. I also started having constant cramping, which got worse with any kind of physiccal exertion, even standing up to teach a class (I am a professor). It also would i irritate my bladder so that I felt like I had a uti (frequent and painful urination), though I didn't. It turned out the fibroid had grown to 10 cm, an increase of 3cm in one year because it had shrunk a bit on its own before that. I had to go on modified duties at work because I could not stand for any length of time without horrible discomfort. This all definitely was very sudden, and quite debilitating! I usually work out intensely 4-5 days per week, so it was not as if I was in awful shape, either. The fibroid was just ready to rear its ugly head!
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:52 AM

uh oh. That's just the kind of scenario they (the work dox) are worried about. They don't want me to go for a 3-year tour with this in the air. But my natural inclination would be to continue to wait and see.
I guess I just don't want surgery, but if I have to I will. It just doesn't seem at that stage now but yet, they kind of want it resolved....
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:06 AM

Fair enough. I wanted to avoid surgery, too! But my quality of life became far too compromised. But that doesn't mean it will happen to you, of course, we are all different... Good luck!
Unread 02-20-2012, 12:38 PM

yeah. I guess there is no way to tell...and strangely enough, I'm more worried about ending up overseas with new problems (from surgery) than working with what I got. I need to make the appt for further discussion.
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:01 AM

Hi, I had UAE in September for a large and multiple fibroid tummy. I work as a long haul cabin crew and wanted to take the least time off work possible. I heard that with UAE you can be back at work in 3 days up to 2 weeks.
Not me! My husband tells me now I looked shocking after the UAE certainly I don't respond well to the morphine I was given for pain control. I was off work a month and went back because I had no income, I worked on the ground for a couple of weeks then started flying again, long haul night flights all over the place I was dead on my feet and really worried I was going to end up in some Nigerian or Angolan Hospital.
I struggled on until early January then got signed off sick with Stress and depression, I felt like killing myself I felt so unwell and thought my hubby would be better of without me.
Fortunately a review with the radiologist and gynaecologist came up and within four days I was in having the abdo vertical cut.
I felt better immediately, I am three weeks in and a bit sore and tired from time to time but I feel everything is behind me now I just have to get on with these few weeks of recovery and get my HRT right then I will be ready and raring to go again.
I don't regret the UAE I think it helped with bleeding in the subsequent Hys procedure, they removed over 5 pounds of crap in total from me, I no longer have back ache, numb legs, I can wee and pooh properly. Also I don't look 7months pregnant now more like two! Swelling!
I can honestly say for me the UAE was not what I was expecting having these things rotting away inside me made me feel dreadful physically and affected me mentally.
That's just my experience.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register