Scheduled TLH Should I be worried? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I be worried? Should I be worried?

Unread 09-07-2012, 03:49 AM
Should I be worried?

I'm just not worried about my upcoming surgery. About a month ago I was really freaking out. I had my son come and give me a blessing and since then, calm. The things I worry about are the little details, little compared to the surgery anyway. The biggest worry is, how bad is it going to hurt when they take the catheter out? When I had urodynamics done it really, REALLY hurt when the catheter came out (didn't even feel it going in). But, it was at that time that we discovered I'm allergic to betadine. I'm hoping the pain was from the allergic reaction. And, I will already be asleep when they put the catheter in, right?
The reason I wonder if I should be worried about the surgery. I've had the same primary doctor now for 20 years. He is wonderful! Excellent doctor clinically and also very compassionate. I went yesterday for my surgical clearance with him. As I went to leave, he hugged me and told me everything will be fine. He has never hugged me (even when my husband died). So, now I'm thinking, wow, is it that bad? I know I'm exhausted all the time. Everyone tells me how tired I look. Do I really look that bad right now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2012, 04:34 AM
Re: Should I be worried?

I think the removal of the cath was the least painful thing !! And yes you are asleep before they place it. At least I was. Relax I know it hard but everything will be fine😊 good luck to you!
Unread 09-07-2012, 08:46 AM

I'd never had a catheter before and was really worried. I asked the nurse if it would hurt. She said I'd feel a little pulling. It didn't hurt. And, yes, they put it in while you're under.

I think everyone feels the pain differently. I had some pain in hospital, but most of the nurses got that under control. When I was back home, I felt discomfort, but not necessarily pain. I barely needed pain medication. But, of course, everyone is different. I'd say my pain was no worse than some of the painful cramps I'd had from the fibroids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2012, 03:53 PM

No, don't worry because worry doesn't change anything,only makes you sick. Quit it now. You're going to be fine. Feed your mind positive thoughts. Replace the negatives with positives.
Unread 09-07-2012, 04:08 PM

My catheter was in for 8 days and I was really nervous when they took it out but all I felt was a tugging sensation--no pain.
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:10 PM

Thanks so much ladies. Now to come up with the next silly thing to worry about in the middle of the night.
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:17 PM

Hi AnnieKing. These things aren't silly! I think we all think about the same kinds of things and it is great to have such a wonderful forum here to be able to express ourselves and not be judged...plus get great advice and information! I am the same way...the thoughts come on strong in the middle of the night. We will be fine and everything will be even better after the surgery. Hugs to you sister!
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:26 PM

I think to some extent many people are somewhat at peace with the decision which makes it easier. Not that I'm not scared to death, I am, but it is more little things that overall surgery. A year ago with the preliminary stuff I was much more afraid and anxious.

Right now I'm running out of things to clean that aren't far beyond what I can do right now (moving rooms around). I've also washed nearly anything I can find that fits in the waster. And tomorrow morning I have to take my cats to the vet where they'll be staying, so I have to make it through one lonely night at home and a pretend night (I have severe insomnia. We have to leave at 2:30. Little sleep is likely) at my mom's.

I know now that I should be in my room by lunchtime. Not that I'll be allowed to eat, but it sounds better than getting there about dinner time.

As it approaches I'm becoming more detail oriented.

I'm glad you're not freaking out!
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:37 PM

The catheter was one of many things I was worried about before my surgery. I had never had such a thing before, and I was afraid that it would be painful to have there, in the area that so much surgery was happening, and that it would hurt when they removed it. Well, it was totally a non-issue when the time came. I did not feel it while it was there, and it did not hurt when the nurse took it out before I went home. I did feel a faint sensation when she removed it, but not anything I would call painful. Remember, you will be on pain medication in the hospital (and afterwards), and the medical team wants to make sure that you are not in pain, so speak up if you are. If you are hurting, it will be hard for you to rest and rest is what will help you heal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register