Suggestions for coughing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Suggestions for coughing? Suggestions for coughing?

Unread 05-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Suggestions for coughing?

Surgery date May 27
TAH, BSO, Cysto and TVT
Just came home today and feeling really well, only meds I am taking is Ibuprofin. Biggest problem I am having is coughing. Any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 25-May 31,2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonjar928 View Post
Surgery date May 27
TAH, BSO, Cysto and TVT
Just came home today and feeling really well, only meds I am taking is Ibuprofin. Biggest problem I am having is coughing. Any suggestions.
Glad you are feeling so well! I, too, am only on ibuprofen. The surgeon said to do 800mg every 8 hrs but I found the dosage too high. I went to 600mg every 4 hours and I'm much better with that. The coughing doesn't bother me much at day, but would keep me awake at night. I like Ricola cough drops, warm tea, and gargling before bed. Not a great cure but it helps. Good luck!
Unread 05-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Re: Suggestions for coughing?

Be sure to hold a pillow over your incision and pull your legs up toward your stomach, or bend over a little to take pressure off the incision. I have severe sinus problems and would cough every time I laid down. Check with your doctor. I know you can get a good cough drop over the counter if you sign for it that has codeine, but I would not suggest taking it or any medicine without checking with your doctor. I just used Halls cough drops and the pillow. Best of luck to you. I truly understand how frustrating and painful it can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2009, 03:12 PM

Yes, pillow or hands over the incision area, press pretty good, but not so much it makes you hurt. And bend if you can, and it's easier to get stuff up when you cough sitting up, rather than laying down.

Same advice if you feel a sneeze coming on. Pillow or hands over the tummy, holding things in place.

(and I believe, if you have to throw up, same thing. Thank GOODNESS I haven't had to find out about that one yet.)
Unread 05-31-2009, 05:42 PM

My son gave me a slight cold after my surgery. I hated the dry cough! Each time I coughed, it hurt, even inside where the vaginal cuff was. I finally found the answer that worked for me. If I coughed, I held my tummy with a pillow, and crossed my legs. Crossing my legs took care of the pressure/pain in the vaginal area, while the pillow supported my vertical incision.

Hope you do well in your recovery!
Unread 05-31-2009, 06:05 PM

you might want to ask your dr if you can take mucinex. i had a bad cough and my neighbor suggested it. i couldnt imagine it would work..but wow, i dont know whats in it but ive used it a few times and it stops coughing completely.
Unread 06-01-2009, 02:19 PM

It is the anesthesia coming out of your lungs. You can try cough drops and just drinking water helps. However, the best thing is to cough it out. Huge that pillow like there is no tomorrow and cough when you need to.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register