My last period ever and I'm weeping! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My last period ever and I'm weeping! My last period ever and I'm weeping!

Unread 04-11-2004, 08:30 PM
My last period ever and I'm weeping!

What is wrong with me. I have been crying for the last half hour. This makes little sense to me. I am a 55 year old woman who 30 minutes ago began what will be my very last menstrual cycle. I feel like I should be celebrating but, instead I am sitting at the computer with amazing cramps, losing large amounts of blood and I somehow feel a sense of loss. I should be celebrating, drinking chocolate martinis ( I make fabulous ones if you are interested I will send you the ingredients, very simple to make )but, no, I am sad. No longer will I have to deal with the cramps and heavy blood loss. Actually, according to my gyne doc I should not be having periods at my age and that is what prompted her to do a transvaginal ultrasound, which is the first time I found out that I had uterine fibroids and multiple cysts on my right overy. I have been psychologically preparing myself for menopause but, never considered that it would be a surgically induced, automatic shut of of my hormones and an instant menopause. I am so emotional since I found out I would be having a hysterectomy and BSO. I guess I have more of a personal attachment to these organs than I thought and I'm having a hard time saying goodbye. Any comments or suggestions. Thanks, Suri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2004, 08:35 PM

hi Sury
I am 43 yo and am going to have a TVH 4/22/04. My period should be starting Tues and I have already started crying b/c this will be my last one too. So I know exactly how you feel. Sending hugs.

Denise
Unread 04-11-2004, 08:51 PM

I believe that the time surrounding a hysterectomy is a very emotional one for many of us. I've never had another body part removed, like an appendix for example, so I would have no way of knowing whether losing other organs also results in similar feelings. I just want to let you know that there is nothing that strikes me as unusual in your post...I remember feeling the same. It doesn't make any sense, but so what. We feel that way nonetheless. With the passage of time, the pain of loss will fade. I'm sending positive thoughts your way, Suri!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2004, 08:54 PM

I know what you mean. I am 43 and am scheduled for a TAH on 4/22 and I just finished my last period EVER! You'd think I'd be celebrating, but it really is a bit bittersweet.
Unread 04-11-2004, 08:56 PM

Hi,

Sorry you are having a hard time letting it all go. It is not easy for some of us. I was 53 last year when I had my surgery. I was a little sad as well, but I started thinking how around 50 I really wanted to be done and get on with menopause. I already had been having hot flashes for a little over a year and still having periods, growing fibroids and a polyp and very painful periods two weeks out of the month. I had the option to do a less invasive procedure or a TVH and I chose the later. My Mom had ovarian cancer that is why I chose for the ovaries to go.

I will tell you I have not regretted it at all since my surgery. I enjoy pain free periods and more energy now. I had hot flashes before so I knew with the ovaries out I would have hot flashes still. I took hrt for a year and now in the process of getting off estrogen because of my age at my dr suggestion.

I wish you well with your surgery and recovery. Here is to better health on the other side.

s
Unread 04-11-2004, 08:58 PM

i took my last birth control pill tonight, it was strange to think about it! i did not have a chance to mourn my last period, i was scheduled for surgery with a week notice. i do not think i will miss it, but even though i do not want more children, i am 25 and find it hard to think tomorrow is the day that makes having no more children official. I know it is crazy, i really am happy with 2 and we dicided after the last one we were finished in the baby department, but neither was ready to make it official. i had 2 rough pregnancies that ended in preterm labor so having one is not even an option, i would not want to take a risk again, i was very lucky 2 ti mes now to have healthy children even with hard pregnancies....i would be afrais the 3rd time would not be a charm, i was told i had 75% chance of preterm labor again, and since i have had the LEEP that makes my cervix even more vo nerable, but i still have a hard time knowing i cannot change my mind and decide to play mother nature. i hope i do not regret my decision later on, but i really think my hysterectomy is for the best for my family. i do not want them to loose their mommy to cancer anytime soon.
Unread 04-11-2004, 10:11 PM

I started my pd just this morning which was suppose to start later next week. Although my emotions are turned inside out and the pain is almost to much, I too am having a feeling of sadness and loss. I can remember saying when I was younger "I just wish I could have everything taken out" Because it's been a very long road to carry this pain any further. So 4/28 is the day everything will change and a new me. MAN AM I READY!!!!

TAKE CARE SISTERS HELP IS ON THE WAY
Unread 04-11-2004, 11:34 PM

I think it is very normal the way your feeling right now. Those tears will soon to be tears of joy. No more pain, heavy periods, cramping, controlling your life! I too finished my last period a couple of weeks ago and excited not to have another one ever Good luck to you. This is the place to go and let your emotions out. Your sisters are here and waiting for you. Would love to have that recipe for Chochlate Martinis. Take care of yourself. Donna
Unread 04-11-2004, 11:53 PM

I wish I would start my last one...so far I am 4 days late. I just hope it hurrys up so I can celebrate the last one ever. I have a nice bottle of wine I have been saving for a couple years that I am ready to uncork. :-) I think I am late due to stressing on my upcomming surgery and more than a few overactive days because of the Easter holiday. I have only some advice to pass along from my 11 yr old DD she has told me every day for the past few weeks to "Think happy thoughts!" I know its hard but I am trying and I hope it helps you too!.

Hugs
Misti

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register