Ten weeks post hysterectomy Dr follow-up? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ten weeks post hysterectomy Dr follow-up? Ten weeks post hysterectomy Dr follow-up?

Unread 03-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Ten weeks post hysterectomy Dr follow-up?

I am ten weeks from a TAH due to fibroids. I went to the doctor at 4 weeks because I wanted clearance to go back to work. She said it was too soon to do an internal and to come back when it was time for my annual.

I haven't had any issues other than some minor discharge, which I understand is not unusual. Each day I have a conversation with myself about making an appointment just to kind of "close out" the situation and see if there are any more restrictions about sex, weightlifting or swimming/bathing. Then when I get the chance to call the office to make an appointment, I put it off. I feel like I suffered appointment fatigue over the last year with all of the appointments and tests and I'm so glad to be done with it. I'm also worried that at some point the bills will start to come in and I don't want to add with unnecessary appointments if I don't really need one right now.

Is it standard to do an internal as a follow up? Did anyone else get kind of vague instructions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2017, 05:53 PM
Re: Ten weeks post TAH Dr follow-up?

My hysterectomy was for cancer. I had one post-op appointment at four weeks to get clearance to return to work. The doc also said at that time to go ahead and lift all other restrictions at six weeks, starting off cautiously and working up gradually. He didn't do a pelvic exam.

My next appointment was four months later, specifically as a check-up for signs of cancer recurrence. I had a pelvic exam then.

Have you got things that you're not doing because you're still waiting for clearance? (Sex, weightlifting, swimming/bathing, etc?) If so, I'd suggest calling your doc to see if you can go ahead on those without an exam or whether your doc wants you to come in for an exam before you start.
Unread 03-21-2017, 05:55 AM
Re: Ten weeks post hysterectomy Dr follow-up?

I had my post op follow up appointment 10 weeks after my TAH. At that point my surgeon cleared me for swimming, returning to the gym and sex. I was told to listen to my body and not go mad but I could go back to normal. She did not examine me internally at the appointment. I haven't had any issues with bleeding or pain, even after intercourse, so I guess everything is fine.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register