TAH Poop problem 5 days post hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Poop problem 5 days post hysterectomy Poop problem 5 days post hysterectomy

Unread 03-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Poop problem 5 days post hysterectomy

How are you supposed to poop if you are not supposed to push?

I'm taking colace 2x a day. Drinking lots of water. Eating light. No poop. Dr prescribed senokot to take tonight. Anyone take that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2017, 05:19 PM
Re: Poop problem

Prune juice (yuck) did the trick for me at day 4. It hurt, but I went slow and didn't push to hard.
Best of luck
Unread 03-21-2017, 06:01 AM
Re: Poop problem 5 days post hysterectomy

It can take anywhere from 3-7 days for a BM to happen.

Senokot is a senna-based laxative. I've taken a brand you can find in GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe, and I prefer that over the other explosive laxatives in drug and grocery stores. STILL, a word of caution: it is not meant for daily use, nor is the senna based tea (Smooth Move) that I often suggest which is a bit gentler than the pill form. Daily or regular use can cause dependency, meaning your body no longer recognizes or stops sending you cues on when to go.

Once you do have that first BM, it's better for your system to manage your digestion through diet. I second the prune juice, though I hated it (had to hold my nose drinking it and use a chaser afterwords!). A diet high in fiber and magnesium helps: whole grains, high fiber cereal like Fiber One original (mix it with raisin bran), dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds, avocados, dried fruits (prunes, apricots, cherries), fresh fruits, frozen fruits in smoothies (yum - add protein power for nutrition!), and plenty of water. Water-water-water... enough to swamp a canoe . Without the water, you're making rocks, and they don't flow well. At all. Walking will help get things moving, too; also when you sit on the throne, prop your feet on a low footstool. We're built to squat to relieve ourselves, and having your knees higher than the hips, properly aligns our colons.

Here's to lubed tubes!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1226 View Post
How are you supposed to poop if you are not supposed to push?

I'm taking colace 2x a day. Drinking lots of water. Eating light. No poop. Dr prescribed senokot to take tonight. Anyone take that?
I am day 5 post op and managed a difficult poop this morning. I took 3 sachets of UK laxitive called Laxido yesterday after using liquid Lactulose in hospital. I am taking co-codamol long term for hip pain and usually rely on stronger, more spasmodic laxitive to do the job but as we're advised not to push I have tried a gentler approach post op! I also ate a tin of prunes. The poop did cause me a lot of anxiety as it got stuck but i concentrated on breathing and relaxing and just gave it time. Keeping on with the Laxido and prunes for the foreseeable! Good luck honey xxxxxxxxxxx
Unread 03-21-2017, 06:58 AM

My first bowel movement was on day 6. If prune juice doesn't appeal to you, alternative beverage suggestions to get things moving include peppermint tea, a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon, and a smoothie with almond milk, cherries, spinach, and ground flaxseeds. Other choices for magnesium include dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds. Another of my top tips, to get things moving as nature intended, is to do the "potty squat", as Cussette described it, right after a meal; this stimulates the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register